D&D (2024) 6E When?

dave2008

Legend
This is highly implausible.

Bonus actions are too deeply embedded in 5E to simply be removed and "remain compatible". Every single book with mechanics has tons of stuff that uses bonus actions, so you'd have to errata all of them, and even adventures and stuff too. It's not something you could "neatly remove". That Mike Mearls has talked about getting rid of it doesn't mean it's reasonable or doable. I love Mike but sometimes he just talks smack. Plus I'm not sure there's an appetite for such a move from players.

Getting rid of bonus actions would have to be part of a real edition change, with new books all around.
Let me clarify what I meant. First I haven't given this much thought, but that idea is that bonus actions would still "exist," you don't change any of that. However, you create a whole new set of classes that don't use them. These new classes would be balanced with 5e classes and can be played right along side of them, but they don't use bonus actions. Remember, you don't get a bonus action unless a feature says you do. The only thing you would need to change is to errata two-weapon fighting and you should be good to go ( I think, like I said I haven't given it much thought).

Finally, this is not something I am personally interested in so I am not really going to think about it any more. I am more interested in creating a 6-action economy for my next game, not limiting actions to move and standard.

The closest thing we will get to a 6E IMO is a new Xanathar's book that has alternative class features (for patching and updating classes and creating "new classes" by editing old ones), new spells, new archetypes that work with the new class features, and some new alternate rules like those in the DMG. Making 6E an optional buy in, a remix of 5E, and still requiring you to buy the PHB to make it work without using a terrible name like PHB2.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Well, they have said the content was also a problem, which is why they experimented with XGtE, an experiment that has paid off wildly in terms of cash money (XGtE is one of the best selling non core books in D&D history, and is still wildly outselling everything as a two year old book).

I'm not just bringing in the PHB2 to XGtE comparison myself, WotC has said explicitly that the XGtE style of content was brought in to replace the PHB2 approach (Mearls, whenever he is asked about the possibility.of a PHB2, for instance).

And I'm saying that they can spin it and justify it however they want - when push comes to shove and 5e is in decline they will make books they aren't making now in an attempt to lengthen it's lifespan.

There's simply to much risk inherent in creating a 6e for the reward to outweight the risk - at least for the forseeable future.

There were 28 new Subclasses, the real character building unit of note in 5E, and several more reprints. Other than not having new main Classes, in what way was XGtE not both a full PHB2 and DMG2?

What I'm talking about is a book that has new main classes. You are just talking past me.

A PHB2 (or PHB2 like book) is a book that has new main classes.

FrogReaver

The closest thing we will get to a 6E IMO is a new Xanathar's book that has alternative class features (for patching and updating classes and creating "new classes" by editing old ones), new spells, new archetypes that work with the new class features, and some new alternate rules like those in the DMG. Making 6E an optional buy in, a remix of 5E, and still requiring you to buy the PHB to make it work without using a terrible name like PHB2.

That's not something anyone here would consider a 6e IMO.

Now the plan is a concept only can be a base class only if it is enough open to allow subclass.

If some PC race is broken, maybe there is an option, to replace racial traits with racial feats. This works in Pathfinder 2.

I see now the strategy to sell more isn't to publish more titles but to get new fans. They want a board game where parents can play with their children. Later they will publish more franchises, maybe Fortnite.

Maybe Hasbro buys a 3rd company to help WotC, or a videogame studio. If we see a 5.5 Ed will not as books, but as videogame, like a playtesting for modules (sidekicks, monster pets, crafting, building a stronghold, sieges, battleships, mass battles, gardening pokemons for a plants vs zombies....).

Other possibility is we will not a 6th Edition really, but a advanced 5th with optional modules.

If there is a 6th will be after the d20 Modern 2.0. and this after the return of Spelljammer.

And we have to remember WotC's plans can change according the success of the Hasbro franchises as cinema blockbusters. To be a famous IP isn't enough.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And I'm saying that they can spin it and justify it however they want - when push comes to shove and 5e is in decline they will make books they aren't making now in an attempt to lengthen it's lifespan

Why would they put out products that are bad for business to drum up business? The point is, the PHB 2 format isn't something WotC will ever repeat as such, because such a book is not a sound financial decision. Sure, they'll put out books to drum up interest, but they will follow a successful model, not a failed format.

What I'm talking about is a book that has new main classes. You are just talking past me.

A PHB2 (or PHB2 like book) is a book that has new main classes.

Alright, so by that definition either Eberron: Rising from the Last War is a PHB2 (which, actually, it is both a PHB4, DMG3, and MM5 I'd say for sure), or there will not ever be a PHB2 again. They have maybe one new full Class in the future of the game, Subclasses are where development and expansion are at in D&D now.

FrogReaver

Then by this definition, there will never be a 6E.

Why? I think there will, but it's far and nearly unpredictable for when it will come.

5e will have to be in severely declined state (not just declining) and they will have had to try numerous other tactics to monetize it before giving up on it.

The most likely cause is that a game most everyone likes better comes out. That would be a surefire way to drive 5e to a true 6e.

Another possibility is that it's been out too long and people just get bored of it. Making a books of new classes and player options helps with this but still will likely ultimately fail. A true 6e will reinvigorate the community at that time - and who really knows how much actually preferences and tastes will have changed in the many years between 5e and 6e. I think they will do another long set of playtests etc. I think that 6e will be a significant change from 5e.

FrogReaver

Why would they put out products that are bad for business to drum up business? The point is, the PHB 2 format isn't something WotC will ever repeat as such, because such a book is not a sound financial decision. Sure, they'll put out books to drum up interest, but they will follow a successful model, not a failed format.

When your game is in decline, then anything to boost the businsss around it is a sound business decision.

Alright, so by that definition either Eberron: Rising from the Last War is a PHB2 (which, actually, it is both a PHB4, DMG3, and MM5 I'd say for sure), or there will not ever be a PHB2 again. They have maybe one new full Class in the future of the game, Subclasses are where development and expansion are at in D&D now.

That's not a PHB2 either. I understand that subclasses are the goal NOW and for the forseeable future. But for us to get to a true 6e then 5e has to be in a significantly declined state. If 5e is in that state then they will attempt strategies to save 5e first. One strategy at that time is likely to involve more classes to drum up excitement from long time 5e fans. Bored fans tend to not buy new books of any kind afterall. I think it's only after they have pulled out all the stops of trying to save 5e that we will see a 6e.

So the kinds of WOTC indicators to me that 6e is anywhere near are still
1. PHB2 style book
2. 5.5e style system upgrade
3. Focused splat books
4. increasing release cycle

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Why? I think there will, but it's far and nearly unpredictable for when it will come.

5e will have to be in severely declined state (not just declining) and they will have had to try numerous other tactics to monetize it before giving up on it.

The most likely cause is that a game most everyone likes better comes out. That would be a surefire way to drive 5e to a true 6e.

Another possibility is that it's been out too long and people just get bored of it. Making a books of new classes and player options helps with this but still will likely ultimately fail. A true 6e will reinvigorate the community at that time - and who really knows how much actually preferences and tastes will have changed in the many years between 5e and 6e. I think they will do another long set of playtests etc. I think that 6e will be a significant change from 5e.

Sure, there will eventually be something that is listed as the 6th edition of the game in the fine print, but I seriously doubt WotC will ever publish a D&D that isn't built on the basis of 5E, particularly if they follow the playtest method that you suggest they will.

Remove ads