D&D 5E A brief rant about Rime of the Frost Maiden, farming, logistics, and ecology

For $30 you should expect more than a low-budget B movie plot.Particularly on things such as in this case which are so easily checked. We're not talking space travel, after all.
My experience is that many people pay $15 for the latest blockbuster movie at the theater (whose story is as poorly written as a B-movie). Some people even pay to see it twice.

I think we can all do better adventures. Every time I run a published adventure I spot a dozen things I’d have done differently. I always mean to run a campaign again with a different group but there are so many damn good campaigns I want to run I can never justify it.

However I don’t see that as WOC’s fault. You can’t create something as variable as a published campaign for groups as varied as roleplaying tables and be all things to all of them.
Not specific to RotFM (which I haven’t purchased yet), but when I purchase an adventure, I tend to lump the things I change into 3 buckets:
  • things that are perfectly find on their own, but that I change to increase the resonance with my group and their characters;
  • things that aren’t objectively bad but wouldn’t fly with my group;
  • stuff that is clunky or doesn’t work narratively.

That being said, on a long AP, there can be several things that I change because it is clunky or doesn’t work narratively and it can still be a great AP! As long as the backbone of the adventure works and the encounters are interesting, it still is a worthwhile product.

It does feel like some people are a little quick to suggest that a module is terrible the moment they have to change a small element of it. Maybe running modules simply isn’t for some people...

Remove ads