A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Hawthorne feels his nerves twinge for a moment as Argenti's stone rockets past him and then past the creature... and he turns back to the young woman with a raised eyebrow. "Really? You know, if you wanted a raise, Argenti, you could have just asked." He holds the look for just a moment, then breaks out into a grin and lets out a guffah one time. He then turns back to the meenlock, as the twinge of nerves he feels towards it being swallowed and ignored.

"Do you speak, creature? Can you understand me?" He waits a moment for response, then looks at the young half-orc holding onto the creature tightly. "Crock Jon, if this creature does not respond in a method we can understand, I think the best thing to do would be for you to walk it out of the village if possible and let it go. We can maintain an eye on it to make sure it leaves the area and doesn't come back."

FitzTheRuke

Legend
As everyone stood nearby to ready to help if need be, Crock Jon wrestled the creature into a submissive hold. It tried to slip through its own shadow, but the big half-orc held it tight, stepping into the brightest-lit spot on the road outside the manor house.

The creature seemed like it should be able to understand Hawthorne as he spoke, but it just made eerie, pathetic cries in response and cast out a general feeling of sorrow and discontent.

OOC: Combat is probably over for now.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Ethian retrieved some rope and proceeded to tying the creature up: first its legs, then arms. Being an experienced sailor, he was quick and effective, even though the creature wasn't cooperating.

As he was working, he asked his companions: "Anybody know how we can find out what it is?"

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Hawthorne admires the knots the elf tied around the creature's arms and legs, and then responds to Ethian's query. "Honestly at this point do we even really NEED to know what it is, my friend? I almost think we have pretty good evidence that it just wants to be left alone, so I say we give it its wish. Crock Jon can walk it out of the village and then let it go-- leave its hands bound together but release the ropes around its legs and then watch it scramble off down the mountain."

He motions with his chin to the manor house behind him. "We just need to get ourselves settled in in there, take a break from all the hullabaloo, and get ourselves prepared to examine the mine. The sooner we can get rid of this creature, the sooner we can do all that, I say."

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
He motions with his chin to the manor house behind him. "We just need to get ourselves settled in in there, take a break from all the hullabaloo, and get ourselves prepared to examine the mine. The sooner we can get rid of this creature, the sooner we can do all that, I say."

"Hmm, what if it is hostile, and warns its friends? If you give me a few minutes, I want to ask Sehanine for guidance".

OOC: I'll let the others chime in, but barring any other proposed course of action, Ethian will cast Augury as a ritual to see if it is a good idea to release the creature
OOC:

Kaliban nods to Ethian.

"That is a good idea but what is the plan if your god indicates letting it go is a bad idea. We do not have the manpower to keep it prisoner. If it is hostile and can't be released then what are our other options?"

Kaliban then turns to Croc.

"If we do release the creature I will join you. It is not wise to be moving about alone."

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Crock Jon hesitates, and looks to everyone giving him instructions. His Uncle had said things like this happen. The creature squirming in his grasp, he held on and awaited a decision.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Ethian prayed for portents, and the light on his face shifted momentarily, as if he stood in a lunar eclipse. He understood the warning: Woe. No good would come from letting the creature go.

But what was the alternative?

Remove ads