A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer

Quinn throws up his protective shield as the meenlock strikes. The attack slows and stops inches from him. Kaliban goes to retaliate but the meenlock has vanished. He turns to move towards the next closest enemy when the pillar explodes. The nimble gnome leaps for cover placing a large root between himself and the explosion, rocks spray over him one striking his shoulder but the root takes the brunt of it. As he shakes off the ringing in his ears he turns to engage the closest meenlock but bulks, a cold sweat breaks out across his brow.

OOC: Protective Field against Meenlock strike: 1d6+3 7 Not sure if negating all the damage will prevent me from having to save for paralysis. DC 11 Con Save: 1d20+4 13 here is the save just in case.

DC 11 Dex Save: 1d20+3 13. So only take 5 damage.

DC11 WIS save: 1d20+0 6 So I am frightened

I can't approach another meenlock due to being frightened so I am done unless one moves within melee range of my character.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
When the pillar exploded, Crock Jon and Ethian were thrown into the north wall. Cairn took a full blast of rock, but just stood there, while Kaliban hunkered down while most of the stone flew over him. He lifted himself up out of the debris and looked up. Dirt and rock continued to rain down from a hole in the cavern ceiling.

The meenlock who had done the deed stepped out of a shadow and picked up another strange box, attached to another chord, which in turn was attached to another pillar. Cairn made a deep rumbling noise that travelled across the ground, causing moss to quiver. The meenlock suddenly fell into a stupor. Another meenlock appeared nearby and stepped toward that one to take the box, but Ethian's suspended magic activated in a loud pop and that meenlock burst open and fell to the ground, dead.

OOC: Okay, Crock Jon, Ethian, and Cairn took 10, and Kaliban took 5; ML1 moved and died from Ethian's booming blade, and ML2 is incapacitated.
ML2dc13 WIS Save: 1D20 = [10] = 10

FitzTheRuke

Legend
While everyone was recovering from the explosion, which nearly deafened them, a meenlock slid down the tunnel from the north and grabbed the nearest plunger box. There was no time to react as a second pillar exploded. Hawthorne, who was taking cover behind that pillar was showered in rocks and debris.

OOC: Shoot, I almost forgot ML3. Nothing anyone can do now to stop him, AFAICT. Hawthorne will take 11 & be thrown 10' (dc12 DEX save for half). I'm going to roll the round anyway. @DEFCON 1 If you fail, consider yourself 10' south on the next map.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: Black Dragon Agents vs Meenlocks in "Conversion" Chamber
MineCChamb5.jpg

(General Features)
Difficult Terrain: Everywhere (thick moss; uneven ground)
Visibility: Dark (Underground);
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Argenti AC14 HP 31/31 THP 0/7 HD 4/4 PP13 SS 2/2
Cairn AC18 HP 25/43 THP 0/7 HD 4/4 PP13** 2W 1/1 AS 1/1 (fright)
Crock Jon AC14 HP 21/36 THP 0/7 HD 2/4 PP12* SD 4/4 2W 1/1 AS 1/1
Ethian AC19* HP 16/27 THP 0/7 HD 2/4 PP16* PIns16 SS 4/4 3/3 CD 0/1 (fright)
Hawthorne AC14 HP 15 or 20/31 THP 0/7 HD 4/4 PP17 PInv17 PIns15
Kaliban AC18* HP 24/35 THP 0/7 HD 4/4 PP10* PED 4/4 (d6's) AS 1/1 (fright)
Black Pudding AC7 HP 0/85 PP8*BS (dead)
Meenlocks AC15 HP 37ea PP14*
-ML1 0/37 (dead); ML2 17/37; ML3 37/37; ML4 0/37 (dead);
GM: End Round Four; Begin Round Five

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
"WAAAAAAAUUUUGGGGHH-- oof! Oh-oof!" Hawthorne bellowed as the explosion of the stone pillar went off right by him, sending him flying through the air before landing in a heap-- rocks and debris crashing down all around him. As large chunks slammed into the ground he was able to roll away just enough to avoid some of the more painful hits.
OOC: Dexterity Saving Throw DC12: [17]+4=21

"Ohhhhh... ughhhhhh... owwwwwww!!! What the--"

The ring in his ears continues for quite a while as he slowly tried to pull himself back to his feet, glancing up at the remaining creatures and the large hole that had exposed itself in the ceiling. "Oh, that can't be good."

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Crock Jon has been punched in the face so many times, that his bruises have bruises. His ears are ringing, but that's nothing new for a boxer like him as well, and the many small cuts fro the explosion will all heal up soon enough.

He sees the meenlock close to him, steps up, and punches. His fist connects solidly, and the creature staggers on (and off?) its feet.

OOC: Move to AL26.
Action: 1d20+6=16 HIT! for 1d8+4=10 bludgeoning. Superiority die: 1d8=6 (and so 16 points total) + and Str save (DC 14) or be knocked prone (3 dice left). It is at one hit point...

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Cairn tries to close with the stunned meenlock, but he just can't bring himself to do it. He stalks around the cave toward the other one hampered by his size and roots in the area.

"Do not let them drop the last support!"

Move and Dash (difficult terrain): AM29-AN30 - doesn't approach ML2
neurotic: D20 + 1#cairnwissave → 9(8 + 1)#Cairn wis save - still frightened

Last edited:

Remove ads