A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"Oh! Haha. You said 'Ivory', but my name is Irony. It's okay, it's an easy enough mistake to make." said Irony, not losing a single bit of her friendly enthusiasm. "Mining books it is! I'll get right on it! You can count on me. I'll find you the best books on mining. Did you want some on the properties of metals? Gems and their refractive qualities? Mining techniques?"

She appeared as if she would go on, but Hawthorne quickly cut in that actual physical mines would do for now, and Irony hurried off to do her duty. Parmak looked up from his book for a moment as she left, and he shuffled back to his seat at the bar.

Shedrick nodded and ordered himself a drink, saying "I got us adjoining rooms as you asked, so I can be at your call, should you need me. I'll take it easy on the drink this time!"

After the bartender poured his order, he added quietly, "I find it fascinating. They say 'no one goes homeless or hungry in Candlekeep'. A bed in the common area at the House of Rest is free, and you need not pay for a simple light meal here. I have never seen anything like it."

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Candlekeep
Afternoon
Round 0

Ruznami looked at the talkative elf. “Food,” the dwarf said. “And there are always interesting people in The Hearth. They tell me I need to get away from books on occasion,” he muttered into his beard. He didn’t appear to be the most socially adept dwarf.

"He lives here. This is Master Reader Ruznami," someone said.

Ruz sighed. “Yes,” he acknowledged. “The owl is Archemides. Where are you from?” he asked the elf.

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray

Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Argenti was simply amazed by the conversation she was having. She knew that Candlekeep was known for it's scholars. But what she didn't expect was to find that even the ogres here could dwarf her intellect as easily as they dwarfed her frame.

"That's quite the story!" The genasi tried to imagine what would happen if she put on the circlet, how easily she could make her fortune with such a leap in mental power. However, the fantasy was just a bit out of her reach. And once she realized that taking the circlet for herself would deprive Little One of it's benefit, she felt a little guilty. So, the warlock twisted the subject a bit.

"I have a similar precious trinket, though not quite as mind enhancing." The young woman finally said, while pointing at amulet with a green gemstone around her neck. "This is a gift from my Matron Ancestor. It helps me to access the Weave and practice the Art."

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Little One and Great Reader Nyantani were fascinated by Argenti's amulet, and the three of them passed their time in good conversation in the bath until it was time to get out. Argenti found her guide waiting for her at the bathhouse's entrance. A halfling with ink-stained fingers, the guide introduced himself as Sprig Summerfoot and suggested that they discuss her interests over lunch at the Hearth.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
"A meal sounds lovely right now, Sprig. You must be one of the scribes in charge of copying books, I take?" Argenti exchanges the customary introductory pleasantries on the way to the Hearth.

After a bit of small talk, the pair made their way into the tavern, where the genasi had to take a moment to adjust to the spectacle. The deceptive size wasn't something entirely new to her. But what drew her eyes was the clockwork crystal prominently on display. Something like that might be suitably arcane and valuable...

Argenti caught herself lost in some less than desirable thoughts again, and quickly pivoted back to her guide. "Candlekeep truly is a place of wonders. Say, what dish would you recommend while we are here?"

Kaliban finishes off his drink and nods to some of the conversation going on around him. Most of the conversation was uninteresting and revolved around various research projects. He does raise an eyebrow at Hawthorne's mention of historical mining in the Southern Sword Coast. He begins to mull over what the man might be searching for as he telekinetically grabs another drink from a passing serving tray. The drink floats across the room and settles into Kaliban's hand. He takes a sip and places it on the table next to his chair.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Sprig appeared ashamed of himself when he answered, "No, no. I am still just a humble seeker's guide. No, it's just that my hands can be sweaty, and sometimes the books I thumb through can get a little... smudgy. Oh! Not all the time! I will be very careful with your books!"

When Argenti asked for recommendations, Sprig suggested what would be a five-course meal, that included two puddings, a breaded cod fillet, a goose-breast with root vegetables, and a blackberry crumble, along with suitable drink pairings. It was hardly suppertime.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Candlekeep
Afternoon
Round 0

Ruznami looked at the talkative elf. “Food,” the dwarf said. “And there are always interesting people in The Hearth. They tell me I need to get away from books on occasion,” he muttered into his beard. He didn’t appear to be the most socially adept dwarf.

"He lives here. This is Master Reader Ruznami," someone said.

Ruz sighed. “Yes,” he acknowledged. “The owl is Archemides. Where are you from?” he asked the elf.

Happy to practice hs dwarvish, Ethian answers "Alas, I wish I had a simple answer to your question! My family is from Cormanthor, but we we moved when I was an elfling. The sees have been my home since! How about yourself Master Reader Ruzmani, what brought you here and pardon my ignorance, but what does a master reader do?"

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It wasn't long before Irony returned, telling Hawthorne, "I have a research room set aside for you in the Pillars. They're those towers across the court, if you're not familiar with them - I'll show you which one. You might want to see if anyone here wants to help you look through the books. There's quite a few! I mean, don't worry, I'll help too if you need me. I don't know much about mining, but I'm a quick reader if there's a particular passage you're looking for. This is going to be great! Do you want to start right away or wait for all the books to get there? A few are being carried there now, but more are on the way. I'm having them brought up - I couldn't carry more than a few myself."

Ethian and Voshadi's elven ears could not help but overhear this exchange. Voshadi arched an eyebrow at Ethian that wordlessly suggested that it might be interesting to volunteer their assistance. The two elves had worked well together as seeker and guide and were running out of reasons for Ethian to extend his stay in Candlekeep.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Candlekeep
Afternoon
Round 0

Ruznami shook his head. “I have always lived at Candlekeep,” he said. “I was born here, and am a ward of the Keep. I have never been outside the walls,” the dwarf admitted. “A Master Reader is an avowed that has been recognized by other Readers to have mastered a subject within Candlekeep’s walls. Do you wish to read my dissertation on the ancient Delzoun Empire and their descendants?” he asked with more eagerness than he had shown on any other subject.

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray

Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior

Remove ads