A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Ethian also enjoyed the slower pace of the caravan trip. The fact that it was uneventful was just icing on the cake. He spent the time getting to know his companions and the caravaniers, enjoying the scenery, playing his flute and practicing some grappling pointers he picked up from Croc Jon. When passing the human cities, he didn’t express much enthusiasm at visiting them. He didn’t like seeing how some good folks lived, so n substandard accommodations. There wasn’t much he could do about this, but he avoided the sights nonetheless.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Hawthorne jumped down from the carriage after Shedrick opened the door, and he nodded once and then stretched his arms and legs. "By the gods... I look forward to the time when teleportation portals can be found in every single village across the continent."

As the others all begin climbing down and out, he calls everyone together for a quick pow-wow. "So before we begin heading up into the mountains, I want to make sure all of us are in our best condition. We will take the rest of today and all of tomorrow to enjoy the comforts offered to us here... and then set out at dawn the morning after. The Consortium will get you all room and board here at the Bored Weasel, and..." He glances to Shedrick for confirmation as he speaks "...we will cover any standard purchases you might find yourselves to make for the final leg of our journey. That includes cleaning and sharpening your weapons, any armor re-fitting, regular rations and supplies and so forth. Just try to avoid buying anything too extravagant, eh? Like no warhorses or a summer home?"

As the group begins to disperse, he tells Shedrick to make arrangement with the inn and that Hawthorne is going to find word of any of the local sages or miners who might have more concrete information about the area they were heading to. Can never have too much information!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Having arrived at the last refuge of civilization, the town from whence they would set forth in search of Vermeillon, the lost (and presumably abandoned) mining village, the agents familiarized themselves with the area, gathered supplies and information, and laid plans.

The coach would go no further; not only was it not built for mountain roads, but any road that might have once gone from Maerin to Vermeillon had long since degraded into nothing more than a treacherous trail. Broun would stay in Maerin and care for the horses.

Finding appropriate gear for travel in the mountains was easy enough. All such things were readily available in Maerin's markets. Information on Vermeillon was much more difficult to procure. It appeared that most of Maerin's inhabitants either were unfamiliar with the village or its fate, or only knew tall tales. Its location was often described as "somewhere up there" (in the nearby mountains).

Two people stood out as worth speaking to: Lukas Grosvenor, the proprietor of the Bored Weasel, and Astra Vorn, a half elf who worked a florist's stall in the market. Grosvenor had not volunteered any information when Shedrick had checked the group into the Inn (and the lad had done nothing to hide the group's goals - quite the opposite) but it was public knowledge that the innkeeper had been a miner in Vermiellon as a young man. He had settled in Maerin after "the disaster". It was said that Astra Vorn had been born in the mining settlement, and may know what happened there.

OOC: We won't take long with this, but who wants to talk to who?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Argenti approaches the Half elf with a brimming smile. "Good day to you! I am Argenti." The genasi picks up a flower to admire it. "Quite a lovely stall you have here, I've never seen this kind of flower before, what is it's name?"

After a bit of haggling back and forth, the young woman buys a flower to adorn her hair, and pensively pauses for a moment, as if listening to someone else. "Oh yes, Astra, was it? There was one other thing. My colleagues and I are on an expedition to investigate the Vermiellon mines, and we have heard you once lived there. Can you tell us anything about what happened to the place?"

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Crock Jon addresses the group when they are all assembled.

"My uncle wanted me to thank you again for travelling with him, and to send his apologies that the wagon can 't continue from here. Broun doesn't like the cold and the wheels are too thin for the steep roads, and won't grip enough. He'll be fine here, but he has offered my services to you, should you want them, as a porter. I can carry a fair bit on my back, and while it will be slow, it might make the journey easier for you."

He pauses and looks for approval. "I'd just need food and a place to sleep, and maybe a few coins from time to time for a drink. Heh. I can help move any obstacles that might have fallen across the road. Whatever I can do to help." He sounds sheepish as he says this, and someone has interrupted him with "Hey! Aren't you...?" before Crock Jon can silence him and wait for an answer.

Whatever the answer, he say thanks and wish for a good journey. He then goes off wityh the person interrupting him, and accepts a drink that is bought for him in exchange for tales of his former glories.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Maerin/Bored Weasel
Day 20/Afternoon
Round 0

Ruznami settled himself cozily in the inn’s common room in a comfortable chair by the fire. He listened around to the inn gossip and discovered that the innkeeper was formerly a miner in the old mines they were looking for. The white-bearded dwarf went up to Lukas and settled at the bar.

“Try this,” the dwarf said, offering a flask after ordering his own ale. “Made it myself. Could teach you the recipe, if you like. I’m something of a brewer myself.” Ruz paused and looked up. “And if you got any vermin problems, I’m sure Archimedes would be more than happy to keep an eye out for them.” He gave a bit of a whistle, and the small burrowing owl flew down to perch on his shoulder. Ruznami fed the owl a small, dead mouse.

“I’ve heard you used to mine up in Vermeilon. Good veins?” he asked casually. “What made them stop?” he wondered.

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:

Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
  • Opportunity Attack:

Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray

Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior

FitzTheRuke

Legend
As a "half"-elf, Astra Vorn had some of the youth that came with elvish blood. Still, they had been very young when the events had transpired that had caused the village to be abandoned.

They smiled, grateful to Argenti for buying a flower and told her, "I remember the explosion that collapsed part of the mine. The whole house shook. I didn't know it until later, but I lost my father that day. I was told that he was buried in the first collapse. Some miners were rescued weeks later, but not my father."

Astra sighed. The memory was old, and the pain had dulled to a resigned disappointment. They went on, "Later, people started to disappear. My mother and many others began to have terrible nightmares. Eventually she packed us up and we moved to Iriaebor. After she passed, I worked my way back here. I hear what's left of the village is a haunted ruin, but I've never gone back."

AstraVorn.jpg

OOC: I will return with Lukas' story. Anyone else can still chime in.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Lukas Grosvenor

The proprietor of the Bored Weasel was a patient, though no-nonsense sort. He had a charming smile for anyone who gave him a kind word or a good tip. His hunched shoulders had only a hint of the strength they once held, and his hands were callused from years of work. Today, he stood over a pot of
his speciality: a flavorful, piping-hot stew called Salty Fish Surprise.

He stirred the pot, wiped his hands on his apron, and came up to the bar to try Ruznami's brew. After a long draught, he nodded and said, "Good. Very good. I'm not sure all your ingredients are available here, but we can come up with some replacements that'd work."

As the dwarf went on to talk about Vermeillon, he sighed as if the memory came with great pain, saying, "The town was doing very well before the disaster, sure. The best shafts were buried in the collapse. I'm surprised that no one has tried to reopen them."

When pressed as to why he didn't get involved in that sort of endeavour, he said, "I had just been married the month before, and on that day, my wife, Lorna, came to the mine to bring me some food. I'd left my lunch, y'see. She was struck by a large rock when the roof came down and died from her wounds on the third day. We were there for another ten before we managed to get out. After that, I just didn't want to stay, and I've never been back."

He pulled a drink for a patron then came back over to Ruznami, adding, "Hey, if you go up there, I can give you a map, though it's seventy years out of date. While you're there, can you do me a favour? Can you place flowers on Lorna's grave, tell her I'm sorry that I don't visit. And see if her necklace is still in the hollow tree. I left it there thinking I'd come back for it, but I never did. Can you get it for me?"

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Maerin/Bored Weasel
Day 20/Afternoon
Round 0

Ruznami listened quietly to Lukas’ tale. “I am sorry for your loss,” he told the old man. “A seventy-year-old map is still better than what we have now,” he said with a smile. “And I will certainly see if I can find that necklace, if you can point out where this hollow tree is. Will there be flowers up there this time of year?” he asked. “I am afraid any I get down here would not survive the trek up the mountain. But I will do my best. Mark where the grave is, as well, and I will at least say a prayer over it, friend.”

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:

Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
  • Opportunity Attack:

Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray

Leave flowers on the grave of Lukas Grosvenor’s wife Lorna.
Look for Lorna’s necklace in the hollow tree.

Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"It's true that flowers are hard to find this time of year and so high up. A prayer would be kind." Lukas nodded his thanks.

At some point before the group set out, Lukas dug out an old map and marked on it where Ruznami could find the things that he'd asked.

Vermeillon.jpg

Red Circle = Grave; Green Arrow = Tree

OOC: It's the only map I've got. Of course, Lukas' version would not show the houses in ruins, and the trees would be show slightly differently. Otherwise pretty much. He'll indicate where the road can be found just outside of Maerin.

Remove ads