D&D 5E A change of heart about Tasha’s

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
If you consider your 5e Library "complete" (not that you said that), what 5e books do you own?
Xanathars, Tasha’s, phb, dmg, mm, scag, Volos, mordenkainens and a variety of the adventures including the saltmarsh and yawning portal collections.

Some other stuff with that. I just feel like I have years of options. I will never play 1/5 of the subclasses and many it’s no big loss! But rules and options wise I feel very covered

My opinion on TCoE hasn't change one iota. I still do not like that damn book. I do not like the way 5ed is going and I am very vocal about it.

On the other hand, I am waiting to see Spelljammer and Dragonlance. Depending on how these product will present themselves, it might spell the of me supporting further 5ed products. And I own every single book (save Rick and Morty) and if that book has an alternate cover, I own it twice. (I am a suckers for these covers)

It is not that TCoE is pure BS, it does have a few good thing (mainly the feats, and the artificer IF you do not have the Eberron book, or the side kicks IF you do not have the Essential box set) the rest is pure powercreep or was not useful at all.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
My opinion on TCoE hasn't change one iota. I still do not like that damn book. I do not like the way 5ed is going and I am very vocal about it.

On the other hand, I am waiting to see Spelljammer and Dragonlance. Depending on how these product will present themselves, it might spell the of me supporting further 5ed products. And I own every single book (save Rick and Morty) and if that book has an alternate cover, I own it twice. (I am a suckers for these covers)

It is not that TCoE is pure BS, it does have a few good thing (mainly the feats, and the artificer IF you do not have the Eberron book, or the side kicks IF you do not have the Essential box set) the rest is pure powercreep or was not useful at all.
I respect that take…with regard to powercreep.

On the other hand you can make dumb builds with phb. If you play with asshats, the ONLY way to reign it in fully is phb, no multiclassing no feats.

And for a change I would play that. I am an old 1e guy.

But I gotta say—-playing a fathomless warlock seems plain fun. Now I will buck trends and go blade pact…I am not in it to be better than my fellows…I just like th options and flavors.

When my pal took a twilight cleric I realized it. He was giving power to the party. And on cue, our main dm of 30 years ramped up the challenge. No cakewalks allowed.

I play with optimizers in my second group, and I have yet to find out how not to challenge them. We do use some of the optional rules in the DMG and it makes the game feel a lot less like super heroic.

But this is the point of 5ed. It is highly modular and one game will be very different from the other not only because of the DM; but also because options used might differ.

Zardnaar

Legend
I respect that take…with regard to powercreep.

On the other hand you can make dumb builds with phb. If you play with asshats, the ONLY way to reign it in fully is phb, no multiclassing no feats.

And for a change I would play that. I am an old 1e guy.

But I gotta say—-playing a fathomless warlock seems plain fun. Now I will buck trends and go blade pact…I am not in it to be better than my fellows…I just like th options and flavors.

When my pal took a twilight cleric I realized it. He was giving power to the party. And on cue, our main dm of 30 years ramped up the challenge. No cakewalks allowed.

Some PHB things could be banned as well.

Find tier lists from certain YouTubers. Ban all the S tier and D tier stuff and you solve a lot of problems.

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
I find Tasha's powercreep to be acceptable. Its better to have small amouts of powercreeped subclass, than have trash that nobody uses like Purple Dragonknight or Arcane Archer. There's no Hexblade level of power for subclass, or Healing Spirit levels of broken for spell.

On my first reading of Tasha's, i find it underwhelming. I thought it wasn't as good as Xanathars. But later on I find it decent. They made summoning spells a lot better, if nothing else.

I dont like custom lineage, it feels like your character is a clay doll shaped into whatever you want. But I like the custom ability score allocation, its just shifting numbers around anyway, and the 5e bounded accuracy system ensures that nothing gets ridiculous.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I view it this way, but I have a few players at my table who see it as nothing beyond new rules to min/max. I kid you not, the week the book was published the only thing they would talk about was how to capitalize on +3 to one stat (+2 race, +1 half feat). Similarly when Monsters of the Multiverse released, all they would talk about was how to capitalize on the new Bugbear's sneak attack change (assassin + gloomstalker).

It's really exceptionally obnoxious.

I don't think the real problem is the book. It's the players' focus.

These bonuses are strong but they aren't enough to make a character interesting or sustainable. I find it's much more important to create a character that is useful, fun and interesting. Otherwise you get bored a few sessions in.

I too am not too keen on custom lineage. However, I find that overall the book has a lot of fun things to bring. Edit: although I still am concerned about a few subclasses that are pretty OP, twilight cleric I'm looking at you.

Last edited:

Tasha's is a solid book. I think PHB + Xan + Tasha + Multiverse of Foes makes an interesting game with a diversity of subclasses and feats that allows for a lot of core Fantasy products to work together. Honestly, I prefer this current direction, and it has made me more excited for the 2024 Edition. PB uses eases the hyper-focus on having high stats and getting guaranteed feats at 1st and 4th level opens a lot of customization. Lineages let me make concepts that I want, but I think they could use some more work. Lineges need to have options to be considered elves or dwarves, just like how the new shadar-kai race info says "this counts as a elf for any purposes or effects." Lineages also need a more diverse suite of unique racial feats to pick from instead of basic feats, that way you can construct something actually racial instead of just a variant variant human.

Agametorememberbooks

Explorer
Publisher
My first reaction to Tasha’s and the latest Mordenkainen’s was that WotC is experimenting for the sake of the 2024 release of 6e. Taking that approach, I found it was easier to me to process the content.

Remove ads