D&D 5E A Compilation of all the Race Changes in Monsters of the Multiverse

Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books...

Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

Dire Bare

Legend
Changes for the sake of changes
Nope.

Reasons for every change. You might not like some of the changes, you might not like the reasons behind some changes, you might not understand the reasons behind some of the changes . . . but "change for the sake of change"? No. I'm sorry, but that specific phrase is lazy criticism, if common in our community.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I dont have orcs in my world, with the continent loosely populated by humanoids east to west, goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears in the east and gnolls in the west.

So goblinoids are the usual "common" enemies and bulk of evil armies etc. With them as fey, that doesn't quite sit right anymore. (to me).

I will need to decide wether to bring back orcs or not change goblinoid to fey. Interesting dilemma.

HOWEVER, those changes to bugbears (other than fey) are fantastic! I'm keeping those.

Weiley31

Legend
Well, I'll just bookmark the first page of this thread so that way I know what to unnerf, revert, add on, and restore for my 5E games that I DM. Like restoring Goblin's Fury of the Small original damage based on level, but keying off of PB score for use and on the first turn, Aarakokra keeping the 30 ft walking speed/50 ft flying speed, Magical Resistance being the same as before, etc etc etc. I was a bit neutral towards splitting both parts of Fey Ancestry into two separate racial parts, but I'll admit that I'm digging Trance and that it still says no to Sleep/Magical Sleep. For the Shadar-Kai, one could flavor the proficiencies you gain from Trance to be part of the various memories they collect for the Raven Queen. The Longsword proficiency selection could be that of a famous swordsman from the past and the memory of such a being being "borrowed" by a Shardar-Kai using Trance.

I also make the excuse/argument that you can still use both versions of the Hobgoblins as thus: The original 5E version is more reflective of the Lawful Evil militant version known in DND. The "new" Hobgoblin are more the ones who ditched the military draft basically and are their own thing. Or even the members of the Eberron Dhakarnii Hobgoblins.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
As for Gobinoids having Fey Ancestry, in mythology they've often been labelled as Fey creatures (so have Kobolds and Dwarves to a certain degree). So it's appropriate they do get that, also it distinguishes them from Orcs since they've often being grouped with them.
In mythology, nearly every nonhuman being is labeled as Fey. Making more and more things fall into this category is itself lazy writing, done primarily to give an easy reason for them not to be evil, and because Fey stuff is the new hotness.

Scribe

Legend
One thing not noticed yet:

The negative valence has been removed in the names of many of these abilities.
  • Orcs are no longer "aggressive"
  • Kobolds no longer "grovel cower and beg"
  • Hobgoblins no longer need to be "saving face"
  • even Kenku's duplication is no longer tied to forgery.

Even when the mechanical benefits remain unchanged (perhaps especially when), there is a moralizing aspect to these changes.
Ran them all through a sensitivity trainer, cannot be offensive to any of the Orcs or Kenku out there...

These look like smart changes, for the most part.

I like the implication that half-orcs will be replaced by orcs and that the short rest will be eliminated.

I'm not a fan of making goblinoids fey. I understand the rationale behind it, but it's not to my personal taste.

Somewhat annoyed by the PHB spell limitation resulting in water genasi getting acid splash.

I suspect the monk's Martial Arts die will be getting a boost.

Remove ads

Remove ads