D&D 5E A Compilation of all the Race Changes in Monsters of the Multiverse

Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books...
Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I also really hope Warlock gets to remain unique in it how it's spells work, even if they don't remain on a short rest recharge. Maybe something akin to arcane recovery, but more than once a day.
Yeah, at this point that’s what I’m expecting to see in 2024. Warlocks and monks will have the same number of spell slots/ki points at the same levels as they do now, but instead of getting them back on a short rest, they’ll get to spend an action, or 10 minutes, or something to recover them, and they’ll be able to do so a number of times equal to their proficiency bonus between long rests.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ish. Its one fewer use per adventuring day at 1st-4th level, same number at 5th-8th, and more uses from 9th level on, caping out at twice as many uses per day from 17th to 20th if the game goes that long. So, in theory it’s a small nerf early game in exchange for a buff in the mid-game, which grows to eventually be pretty big in the late game. From an optimization standpoint, I’d say that’s well worth it. Warlocks and monks would be better overall if they could recover Pact Magic slots and Ki points as, say, an action PB times per day. But, for me, it’s not an optimization issue. I don’t really care that they would be “better.” I just don’t like homogenizing the resource structure, and I especially don’t like homogenizing it towards daily usage instead of encounter-based usage. Per-day resource management sucks, it always has sucked, because adventuring days are so unpredictable. It was nice having at least a few classes those of us who don’t want to play “guess how many fights there are going to be today” could enjoy.

Yeah, I get it, I just think that putting every class on the same old spell slot progression structure is boring.

I think you’re most likely correct, I just hate it.
Yeah, that's fair enough.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, at this point that’s what I’m expecting to see in 2024. Warlocks and monks will have the same number of spell slots/ki points at the same levels as they do now, but instead of getting them back on a short rest, they’ll get to spend an action, or 10 minutes, or something to recover them, and they’ll be able to do so a number of times equal to their proficiency bonus between long rests.
Wwll, the amount might be per day, but the structure may still be flat with all Slots being of the current value.

If they are going through the trouble of redesigning things, I hope they find their way to de-Orientalizing the Monk pretty significantly.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I dont have orcs in my world, with the continent loosely populated by humanoids east to west, goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears in the east and gnolls in the west.

So goblinoids are the usual "common" enemies and bulk of evil armies etc. With them as fey, that doesn't quite sit right anymore. (to me).

I will need to decide wether to bring back orcs or not change goblinoid to fey. Interesting dilemma.

HOWEVER, those changes to bugbears (other than fey) are fantastic! I'm keeping those.
Here's a possible thought (not for your established compaign, of course, but maybe for a new setting). Gruumsh exists and typically takes the form of an orc (it doesn't matter for the sake of this idea if he's still the God of Orcs or not). Anyway. In Ye Olden Days, Maglubiyet was one of his lieutenants, along with Bagtru and Ilnevin, and was a lesser or intermediate god himself. He decided to strike out on his own, defeated/killed/enslaved the Archfey who was patron to the goblins. Then he effectively stole the goblins (all or some) and brought them to the Material Plane to be his servitors. It's one reason why in many settings, orcs and goblins are sometimes allies (Maglubiyet did this with Gruumsh's permission) or are sometimes enemies (this was an act of rebellion on Maglubiyet's part).

Many of the changes in this book look really cool, but I'm not sure if they're cool enough to justify me buying the book, when I already have VGM and MTF.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Here's a possible thought (not for your established compaign, of course, but maybe for a new setting). Gruumsh exists and typically takes the form of an orc (it doesn't matter for the sake of this idea if he's still the God of Orcs or not). Anyway. In Ye Olden Days, Maglubiyet was one of his lieutenants, along with Bagtru and Ilnevin, and was a lesser or intermediate god himself. He decided to strike out on his own, defeated/killed/enslaved the Archfey who was patron to the goblins. Then he effectively stole the goblins (all or some) and brought them to the Material Plane to be his servitors. It's one reason why in many settings, orcs and goblins are sometimes allies (Maglubiyet did this with Gruumsh's permission) or are sometimes enemies (this was an act of rebellion on Maglubiyet's part).

Many of the changes in this book look really cool, but I'm not sure if they're cool enough to justify me buying the book, when I already have VGM and MTF.
I'd buy the race compilation as a floppy booklet...but I already have usable versions of all the Monster stat blocks.

Fey origins, like elves and displacer beasts. If anything, they're "native outsiders" now.

Mythically speaking, goblins are more fairy than anything else.
Well, mythically speaking (at least in the British/European mythology we're talking about) basically everything that isn't a sea monster, a demon, or undead in some way has a fey origin. 'Fey' was basically shorthand for 'weird and outside the normal human experience'.

I'm not sure that maps too well onto a fantasy world with piles of sentient species.

One thing not noticed yet:

The negative valence has been removed in the names of many of these abilities.
  • Orcs are no longer "aggressive"
  • Kobolds no longer "grovel cower and beg"
  • Hobgoblins no longer need to be "saving face"
  • even Kenku's duplication is no longer tied to forgery.

Even when the mechanical benefits remain unchanged (perhaps especially when), there is a moralizing aspect to these changes.
And they remove the term ”sub race”, to make sure nobody could interpret sub as inferior!

Hussar

Legend
I suspect it has a lot to do with wanting to keep monster powers harder to resist/negate by special ability without having to go through and define things as Supernatural, Spell-like, or Exceptional again. And if they are also defining more magical attacks as actions rather than spells, that makes them harder to resist and in counterspellable. I’m not really in favor of this trend.

Otoh it does largely address the whole 5e monsters aren’t really a threat thing. If characters can’t just ignore bad guys spelleffects or shut down enemy spell users with counterspell time after time, it does increase lethality.

Remove ads

Remove ads