D&D General A Curated Cantina

I'm putting together a homebrew world with a tight elemental theme, and want to have a limited number of humanoid species. These are to be the heritages for PCs and primary antagonists as well. They are presented with species name, poetic byname, and affinity. For example, Human - Childer of the Heavens - Wuji/Æther. The rest in alphabetical order:

Argyre - Childer of the Moon - Yin

Argyre.png

Dwarf - Childer of the Lodes - Metal
Dwarf.png

Elf - Childer of the Arbors - Wood
Elf.png

Gnome - Childer of the Stones - Earth
Gnome.png

Khryse - Childer of the Sun - Yang
Khryse.png

Salamander - Childer of the Flames - Fire
Salamander.png

Sylph - Childer of the Winds - Air
Sylph.png

Undine - Childer of the Waves - Water
Undine.png

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
is yin and yang not closer to fundamental nature of processes or acceptance vs trying to push past it, so less elemental the psychological?
also stone should be yellow and water black, metal I have no idea for.

is yin and yang not closer to fundamental nature of processes or acceptance vs trying to push past it, so less elemental the psychological?
They're usually expressed as a host of dualistic pairs representing "active energy" and "receptive energy", so while not elements per se, they are intrinsic to the cycle of transformations.
also stone should be yellow and water black, metal I have no idea for.

To give you an insight in to my thought process, I used neo-platonist categories to bridge the Chinese Wuxing and Greek Stoicheion...

Elements.png

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
no, I do get your position (I have considered remaking the elemental planes under a similar idea) but I have no idea how to have yin and yang separated into beings without them just failing to function as people, perhaps yin and yang spirits would be better? also, have you considered working in Wuji and Taiji?

Remove ads