• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A few questions to the advanced painters out there.

ThorneMD

First Post
I got into the painting thing a year ago and ow want to make my minis look a little better with a few things.

First question.

I have a mini that has a set of runes on a sword (I'll try and post a pic later) how do I make the runes look like they glow. I would prefer an foresty glow.

Second Question.

How in the world do you do faces. I read the painting guides from wizards and that just seems impossible. I tried painting eyes once and ended up just puting white on and then put a color on using a toothpick. The lips thing and the eyes seem hard. Any advice.

Third Question.

How do you enhance muscle texture and depth. I don't like how my minis look really plain and can't seem to think of a way to do this.

Last Question.

How do you paint a skeleton. I bought two Chainmail skeleton dwarves and need to know how to paint a skeleton.

Thanks for any help given.

Darius101

First Post
Question #1 :
Answer: The best way i have found to make a rune glow is to paint the lighter color on first then paint the rune on top of the "glow" then highlight this rune til desired. It will look terrible aqt the first stage but as you work on it it will look better and better.

Questions #2

answer: Check out Dr. Fausts site and also Paintrix minaitures site. They have great desriptions on painting faces and eyes.
For eyes I use a small brush and dot the white pupil then use skin tones to get the shape i want. Then when the shape is there I use the same brush or a .005 micropen to dot the black pupil if I am in a hurry. If i want to make a really nice figure with blue eyes then i dot the pupil on a blue dot on the white eyeball.

Question # 3
answer: Inks and or use a darker skin layer first then hightlight with your favorite technique (drybrushing is mine) to pick out the raised details of the muscles. I recommend a tan or warm medium brown and would stay away from a black as that will give you too dark a shadow.

Question #4
Answer: Brown ...then lighter brown....then a bleached bone ....enhance with white as desired. Skellys are really easy to do fast.

Hope you understood my tired writing here.
If you need the links to the sites just ask I can post them if you want them.
Darius

ThorneMD

First Post
Thanks.

1. Any suggestions on the colors to use to make the rune glow green.

2. Please post the site, I'l check them out.

3. Thanks for your answers to my questions four.

Darius101

First Post
Your Welcome...

I will work on some rune swords with glowing runes and post them either tonight or tomorrow.

Too hard to type it out at the moment without the piants right in front of me.
You need a base green and then highlight it up. I use yellow to highlight it then a light white near the Center then paint the rune ontop of it. Highlight the rune itself but not so bright as the glowing part. You will see what i mean if you look at the pics on the URLs below.
**Edit After looking at lights last night the glow comes from a lighter color towards the center and a much darker color near the edge. With an almost whitish hue to the color near the source of light. It will take me another day to work on it on a figure before i post it. ---5/31 Darius

Paintrix : Jen Haley's website.

From here you can go anywhere including Fausts site.
You can also see many pictures of glowing runes here in the VIC showcases.

Conforntation : Look at the drawings and paintings here to see what I was talking about.

Colonel Marbles also has great tips and pics...

That should get you started at least...enjoy and look here for pics tomorrow some time.

Darius

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads