D&D General A friend of mine has joined A 5E Dnd Group, has decided to play A Robin Hood Style character and wants to know what people think of his character

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
How do you ever class him as Evil period?
If you take the Sheriff of Notingham to have held legitimate authority under the King (John) then Robin and his outlaw gang are in open rebellion.
Sure the taxes might be harsh and the Sheriff a lecherous tyrant but does that justify Robin attacking innocent nobles and tax collectors who are just doing their job?

And who are these ‘poor’ he’s helping? More bandits and rebels who refuse to support the Kings war with the French?

Last edited:

JMISBEST

Explorer
My helpful comment - alignment sucks just ignore it. Robin Hood however is not evil, so if you must make him Neutral

For your stats I’d put Wis higher than Int

And Centaur language? I dunno if Robin Hood had that many conversations with Centaurs
My mates thinking was Robin Hood never speaks with Centaurs but Robin Hood spend the majority of his time in Sherwood Forest, in A Dnd Campaign set in A Version of England were Robin Hood is real the ability to speak with other sentient forest dwelling races would occasionally get Robin Hood allies and because even the most remote of Wood Elf communities have at least 1 member that can speak the common language The Centaur Language was the obvious choice

PS my mate didn't roll the dice then assign them as he wanted like you normally do in 5E Dnd he simply decided to roll for each stat like you did in 1E and hope for the best, luckily he got a fairly powerful character

Last edited:

JMISBEST

Explorer
How do you ever class him as Evil period?
In the case of The TV Show its how I judge his actions and morale, which over the course of the tv show go down hill at roughly the same rate as his life, meaning always at least once a season and usually at least twice a season

For example in the season 1 finale he believes Marian killed by Guisborns hands and in his anger this is the 1st time he kills, and no its not merely the 1st time the viewers see Robin kill, it actually is the 1st time Robin kills

This shocks even The Sherif who says, and I quote, "this isn't right, Hood doesn't kill", and when the shows main villain admits that this isn't right because his enemy/the hero, doesn't kill and that something isn't right then even people who prior to the season 1 finale hadn't watched a single episode will know that whatevers happened its very bad

Last edited:

Amusingly, under that definition you could have a reasonable argument for lawful evil Robin Hood. He takes what he wants, within the limits of his code that says he must take it from the rich, and give it to the poor.
It says a code of "tradition, loyalty, or order". It is neither traditional nor legal to rob the rich, and Robin is not acting under orders from someone else.

Immeril

Explorer
If you take the Sheriff of Notingham to have held legitimate authority under the King (John) then Robin and his outlaw gang are in open rebellion.
Sure the taxes might be harsh and the Sheriff a lecherous tyrant but does that justify Robin attacking innocent nobles and tax collectors who are just doing their job?

And who are these ‘poor’ he’s helping? More bandits and rebels who refuse to support the Kings war with the French?
Disregarding the Sheriff's legitimate authority isn't in itself evil, it's chaotic.
Robin Hood is willing to follow the law as long as it is just. He's loyal to king Richard. But during prince John's regency, he rebelled against the lawful (albeit evil, self-serving) regime.

JMISBEST

Explorer
Disregarding the Sheriff's legitimate authority isn't in itself evil, it's chaotic.
Robin Hood is willing to follow the law as long as it is just. He's loyal to king Richard. But during prince John's regency, he rebelled against the lawful (albeit evil, self-serving) regime.
I guessed someone would say this eventually so to ensure that I was prepared for when someone did say this I asked my mate well in advance, as in almost 6 hours in advance. Below is what he said. Your thoughts

My mate's answer is that in his opinion Robin Hood has decided that Prince Johns action count as seizing the throne, which is treason, and laws passed by a traitor that has seized the throne, even if prior to his treason he was running the country on behalf of the rightful king, aren't legal, and anyone that tries to enforce them, which includes The Sheriff, is a criminal, which means that he/Robin, isn't a criminal, the law enforcement people are

Pretty sure that counts as Chaotic not evil.

I guessed someone would say this eventually so to ensure that I was prepared for when someone did say this I asked my mate well in advance, as in almost 6 hours in advance. Below is what he said. Your thoughts

My mate's answer is that in his opinion Robin Hood has decided that Prince Johns action count as seizing the throne, which is treason, and laws passed by a traitor that has seized the throne, even if prior to his treason he was running the country on behalf of the rightful king, aren't legal, and anyone that tries to enforce them, which includes The Sheriff, is a criminal, which means that he/Robin, isn't a criminal, the law enforcement people are
Refusing to accept Legitimate Authority is generally Chaotic.

Remove ads