• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E A Key Issue for 5e: Quick Character Generation

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
By default, PCs are not expected to acquire magic toys, so I expect that to be the default answer.
I'll be truly shocked if that is the case; the test will be what treasure is included in the first few "official" 5e adventures. Even in 4e, intentionally designed as magic-poorer than 3e, a character experienced enough to have been through a few adventures could reasonably be expected to have some magic on board.
An option is to include a few different expected wealth tables, depending on where the "loot dial" is set:

On the "penny pinching" table, a 10th level character might have nothing beyond his starting package.

On the "dragons sleeping on mountains of gold" table, he might have 10,000 gp.

On the "everything is made of magic" table, he might have 5,000 gp and 5,000 gp worth of magic items.
Can't comment on this as we've as yet no idea what 5000 g.p. worth of magic might consist of in 5e, but compared to all previous editions those numbers seem extremely low.

Lan-"unless the game is silver-based, of course"-efan

I figure that the fast option of character generation would be to just use a suggested background and theme for your class. They should absolutely have those, and that means that a quick character generation is basically two major choices.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads