• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A psionic naga (CR 14)

Krishnath

First Post
Naga, Shantai
Huge Aberration (Spirit)
Hit Dice:
16d8+80 (152 hp)
Initiative: +5 (+1 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 30', Climb 30', Swim 30',
AC: 17 (-2 size, +1 Dex, +8 natural)
Face/Reach: 10' by 10' (coiled)/ 5'
Attacks: 6 scimitars +16/+11 melee;
Damage: scimitar 1d6+8
Special Attacks: psionics, paralyzing gaze,
Special Qualities: Power resistance 25, damage reduction 10/+3, evasion, telepathy, jade vulnerability,
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +8, Will +16
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 13, Con 20, Int 19, Wis 19, Cha 19
Skills: Appraise +9, Bluff +9, Climb +13, Concentration +10, Diplomacy +9, Hide +4, Listen +9, Knowledge (Psionics) +9, Knowledge (Spirits) +9, Search +9, Spot +9, Swim +13
Feats: Ambidexterity, Cleave, Great Cleave, Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Multiweapon Fighting, Power Attack,

Climate/Terrain: Warm forest, warm mountains, and underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 14
Treasure: Double Standard
Alignment: Always Lawful Evil
Advancment: 17-48 HD (Huge);

Shantai Nagas are one of the nastier threats of the shantai mountains and the jungles that surround them.
Shantai Nagas resemble huge constrictor snakes with a six armed human torso where the head of the snake would be. The snakes scales are usually black with red or green patterns, but both all blue and all red scaled shantai nagas have been encountered. The human looking part of the naga resembles a beautiful human youth, with long (if female) or shoulder-length (if male) dark hair. Their eyes are usually green or blue, but glow red when the creatures are angry.
Shantai Nagas have been known to be extremely vain.

Combat:
A shantai naga will often start an encounter by simply appearing and try to start a conversation. This is mostly to gain the upper hand by evaluating the opposition and giving it the oppertunity to use it's psionic abilities and paralyzing gaze. The naga will often attack in mid-sentence allowing it to surprise it's choosen prey. A shantai naga will concentrate it's abilities on spellcasters and psionic characters first, before entering combat with fighter type characters. If possible the naga will try to charm or dominate the most powerfull fighter in a party once combat ensures.
Paralyzing Gaze (Su): Paralysis for 2d6 minutes, 30', Will save (DC: 22).
Psionics (Sp): At will - Charm Person, Claws of the Bear, Detect Psionics, Firefall, Know Direction and Sugggestion; 6/day - Invisibility Purge, Whitefire; 5/day - Domination, Wall of Ectoplasm; 4/day - Brilliant Blast, Ectoplasmic Armor; 3/day - Breath of the Dragon, Flaming Shroud; 2/day - Fission, Improved Anchored Navigation; 1/day - Shadow Body, True Domination; 1/week - True Metabolism.
As manifested by a 20th-level Psion [Savant] (DC = 1d20+5+Power level)
Psionic Attack/Defense Modes: All/All
Evasion (Ex): If exposed to any effect that normally allows a reflex saving throw for half damage, a shantai naga takes no damage on a successful save.
Telepathy (Sp): A shantai naga can communicate with any creature within 100' that has a language.
Jade Vulnerability (Ex): Jade Weapons deal double damage to shantai nagas.
Feats: Shantai Nagas gain Ambidexterity and Multiweapon Fighting as bonus feats.

What do you think?

Devon

First Post
Nasty. I can see this being confused with a Marilith, freaking out the party. Or underestimated as a Slithermorph, for those Undermountain veterans. What does it mean when it has the (Spirit) subtype?

Is it really a Naga if it has arms, though? :p

- Devon

Krishnath

First Post
The spirit subtype indicates that it is affected by certain spells, materials and magical items mentioned in the OA book. If you don't have it, or don't use it, it doesn't really affect the CR of the creature.

Magus Darkholme

First Post
Not bad, Krishnath, not bad at all. ;)
It kinda reminds me of the Shinomen nagas from OA.

I kinda agree with Devon, that it can easily be confused with a marilith or a slithermorph, but hey, what the PCs don't know can hurt them!:D

Krishnath

First Post
I agree, about the PC part :D Although I would say that the Shantai Naga is somewhat nastier than a Marilith, but that's just my opinion :D

I was aming more for a classic fantasy/oriental legends naga. Very wiked looking, with a lot of hands :D I'm working on a naga queen, but I won't finish it until after I get the ELH.

Sojourn

First Post
Dark*Sun & the Expanded Psionics Handbook can add psionics to anything, separate entries don't necessarily help. On the other hand, I have a player who won't play anything except psions, so any monster he can go brain to brain with is a good night.

Remove ads