D&D 5E [+] A Whole New World!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
And these are just the races currently statted up as playable for 5e. There are all kinds of legacy races and even 5e "monstrous" races without PC stats yet. Gnolls, Thri-kreen, Sahaugins, etc.
Oh yeah. When I take a stab at this myself, Gnolls will definitely be a major race.

Probably them, gnomes, satyrs, animal-folk might be an umbrella with tabaxi and rabbit folk and such under it or I might put them all in different places with nothing to do with eachother. Definitely also Goliath and firbolg. Gnomes and those two go hand in hand for me, neither is as much fun without the other.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Oh yeah. When I take a stab at this myself, Gnolls will definitely be a major race.

Probably them, gnomes, satyrs, animal-folk might be an umbrella with tabaxi and rabbit folk and such under it or I might put them all in different places with nothing to do with eachother. Definitely also Goliath and firbolg. Gnomes and those two go hand in hand for me, neither is as much fun without the other.
I know humblewood is already a thing, but even without it, I've been tempted to make an animal world using the current options with perhaps a bit of homebrew padding it out.

TheSword

Legend
Also...I won’t be mad if you cheat and include Halflings, because they so rarely get to be a historically and culturally important race in settings.
Aside from... well...
8C6B6C5E-1A28-4CBA-8D55-49DC084AD09C.jpeg

Mercurius

Legend
The world is dominated by elemental forces - great lava flows and lakes of fire; massive thunderstorms and floating islands; raging rivers and huge tidal waves; strange rock formations and unimaginably tall mountains, with frequent earthquakes.

The native people of the world are genasi, with each of the four elemental sub-races present. For millenia they lived in harmony with each other and then a thousand years ago were invaded from the Astral Sea by the gith - first the githyanki came raiding, then the githzerai hunting them. Some catastrophe occurred that separated the gith from the Astral Sea and they were stranded. Over the centuries they built up their own empires and each sought dominion in different ways over the genasi and the world, although eventually the githyanki gained dominion, ruling over all.

The githyanki serve their immortal queen, Izkeroth, a daughter of Vlaakith, who rules her empire through the power of her red dragons, illithid slaves, and githyanki warriors. The githzerai live in loosely allied secret monasteries, evading the githyanki as best they can, and seeking alliance with the enslaved genasi.

Other races exist: the aarakocra of the flying isles, and the elusive aasimar who live in high mountains, as well as the green mottled-skin goliath in the great wood lands, and perhaps others. It is believed that they, as well as other creatures not native to the world, have come through via portals from other worlds which open seemingly randomly, perhaps due to whatever magic that stranded the gith.

The githzerai are, of course, often monks, but sometimes warlocks, seeking to understand and harness the secret powers of the universe. The githyanki are often fighters, psionic-endowed via feats. The goliath are known for their druidic powers, the warriors being rangers. The aarakocra serve their great deity the Sun Phoenix - the living embodiment of the sun - as paladins. Aasimar are known for their love of music and are often bards, playing mystical music, but are also natural sorcerers, imbued with magical energy (and all aasimar PCs must multi-class and take at least every third level as sorcerers). Genasi are more diverse, although fire genasi tend towards wizards who specialize in fire magic, likewise with the other sub-races.

The inhabited land is like a great wheel, with the githyanki ruling the middle and the further out, the more wild the elements. Beyond the central region is the great forest which gives way to desert in the south and great lakes and mountains of fire. To the north, wild waters and icy seas. To the east, air (and sky isles), and to the west the great rock lands and mountains.

Alright, that's it for now.

What are the 4 or more core peoples of your world, how are you building the world to make it feel like a world they belong in, and what do they think of eachother?

Bonus points if you can think of 4 classes outside the core 4 that are the most common classes in this world, and talk about how that changes worldbuilding and adventuring in your world!
Slight correction me thinks, the first para speaks to races/people, the second refers to classes. I don't think you intended that, right?

doctorbadwolf

Slight correction me thinks, the first para speaks to races/people, the second refers to classes. I don't think you intended that, right?
No, that’s intentional. The class paragraph is “bonus points”, which commonly means “if you want to go above and beyond the brief, this would be cool to see as well”.

doctorbadwolf

The world is dominated by elemental forces - great lava flows and lakes of fire; massive thunderstorms and floating islands; raging rivers and huge tidal waves; strange rock formations and unimaginably tall mountains, with frequent earthquakes.

The native people of the world are genasi, with each of the four elemental sub-races present. For millenia they lived in harmony with each other and then a thousand years ago were invaded from the Astral Sea by the gith - first the githyanki came raiding, then the githzerai hunting them. Some catastrophe occurred that separated the gith from the Astral Sea and they were stranded. Over the centuries they built up their own empires and each sought dominion in different ways over the genasi and the world, although eventually the githyanki gained dominion, ruling over all.

The githyanki serve their immortal queen, Izkeroth, a daughter of Vlaakith, who rules her empire through the power of her red dragons, illithid slaves, and githyanki warriors. The githzerai live in loosely allied secret monasteries, evading the githyanki as best they can, and seeking alliance with the enslaved genasi.

Other races exist: the aarakocra of the flying isles, and the elusive aasimar who live in high mountains, as well as the green mottled-skin goliath in the great wood lands, and perhaps others. It is believed that they, as well as other creatures not native to the world, have come through via portals from other worlds which open seemingly randomly, perhaps due to whatever magic that stranded the gith.

The githzerai are, of course, often monks, but sometimes warlocks, seeking to understand and harness the secret powers of the universe. The githyanki are often fighters, psionic-endowed via feats. The goliath are known for their druidic powers, the warriors being rangers. The aarakocra serve their great deity the Sun Phoenix - the living embodiment of the sun - as paladins. Aasimar are known for their love of music and are often bards, playing mystical music, but are also natural sorcerers, imbued with magical energy (and all aasimar PCs must multi-class and take at least every third level as sorcerers). Genasi are more diverse, although fire genasi tend towards wizards who specialize in fire magic, likewise with the other sub-races.

The inhabited land is like a great wheel, with the githyanki ruling the middle and the further out, the more wild the elements. Beyond the central region is the great forest which gives way to desert in the south and great lakes and mountains of fire. To the north, wild waters and icy seas. To the east, air (and sky isles), and to the west the great rock lands and mountains.

Alright, that's it for now.
The aasimar thing with sorcerer levels would definitely turn me off from playing, but the world is cool!

TheSword

Legend
Two races that have opposing biological or societal needs might be interesting. The actions of one is literally killing off the other which is leading to conflict.

Pollution runoff is killing Kuo-Toa that live underground. But the Kuo-Toa are undermining the realms above and causing subsidence and earthquakes. For instance.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
1 Old Growth v New Growth
So since Acquisition Inc, Verdan came on the scene with their spontaneous mutation and telepathy I've wondered about what the world would be like where they were the most common race. Its a versatile race with bonuses to Charisma and Con. So I'm thinking Bard-Merchant explorers and Hexblades in a new city.

Then have the urban sprawl cause conflict with the Protectora of the Forest - Druids and Ranger. The Old Forest has long been home to the fey clans, but the arrival of urban settlers has begun to encroach on the sacred groves building tension between the growth of the Metropolis and Growth of the Old Forest and those who wish to protect its ways

Verdan - Bard Merchants and Hexblade explorers
- they have the potential for endless variety, but the curse of no common identity. Because Verdan are gobbos, Goblins also feature as a race

Forest Gnome & Tinker Gnomes
Gnomes has become a signature race in my games, so Forest Gnomes with their illusions seems a good choice as the main Fey-ish opposing faction to Verdan/Gobbo domination.
However some Gnomes driven by gnomish curiosity have begun to embrace the possibilities of the new City.

Firbolg Druids provide the Big support to the the Gnomes and have traditionally protected the groves

More Fairy races

2 JUNGLE WORLD
Apeman Bugbear - hairy, long limbed and living in family groups
Loxodon
Tabaxi
Lizardman

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases