Abilities scores for an universtal system.

aramis erak

Legend
The problem with Wisdom is not how its defined but rather what it does in game. What are the mechanics of rolling a prudence or maturity check? ie When confronted with an in game choice what does prudence actually do for a character? (The same question applies to Courage really).
Can you give any examples of use?
Wisdom, as used in 5E, is used as the base for perception, intuition, and connection to the gods. It would be better served by a rename to "Insight"... except for the potential written/spoken confusion with Int. But that role is largely how I used it, and my players understood it, under D&D Cyclopedia, AD&D2E and D&D 3E.

Wisdom is called that as a "Tradition" (cue fiddler on the roof)... Although, for a while, D&D did have 12 attributes... (Skills and Powers.)

messy

Explorer
Power
Wisdom Courage​

Half joking, but I do prefer systems with less stats than some of the suggestions here. I truly think we could move D&D to five stats and it still work well.

completely agree. i've always admired the ultima system: strength, dexterity, intelligence. simple, distinct, functional.

But I would like a list of abilities scores I could use to adapt other games with different systems.

Adding Acuity and Spirit isn't too complicate. Now I am thinking about Dex being divided into Technique and Agility or these last two as subabilities (working as bonus feats).

I did create an open license TTRPG for multiple genres. I went for:
Strength
Agility
Endurance
Intuition
Logic
Willpower
Charisma
Luck
Magic/Psi/Chi (named by genre)

A nice list of nine which folds quite neatly into three main ones: Body (strength, agility, endurance), Mind (intuition, logic, willpower), and Soul (charisma, luck, magic). They would be my three choices for generic roleplaying, should I want a system that sets attributes. distinguishing between them would be the next #vel of crunch down, and this breakdown works well for me.

3catcircus

Adventurer
I prefer something a bit more "realistic" in what the attributes represent. One attribute that represents perception or awareness. One for agility/manual dexterity/coordination, one for physical health and fitness, one for musculature/strength, one representing IQ/intelligence/analytical thinking, a separate one for formal education, one representing personality/charisma/leadership, and one for mental toughness/willpower.

You can then use these to derive any other attributes like initiative, morale, movement rates, carrying capacities and hit point values.

For example - your muscles are more applicable to a combat movement speed, while your fitness is more applicable to an overland movement speed, yet both are important to determining your carrying capacity.

I also think it is important to distinguish formal training and education if applying it to academic skills while the IQ attribute is better applied to interpreting observed information directly. For example, a detective themed campaign might use a perception check to notice something (you see a series of footprints leading from a monastery where everyone disappeared that your local Lord and the church have asked you to investigate), an IQ check to recognize what you are observing (it is adult sized and non-human) and interpret what it may mean (they look like orc prints, it is common knowledge that a tribe of orcs is known to frequent the mountains near here, and there are some that are deeper prints than others indicating that they are carrying a lot of weight), and the education attribute for any formal education that may be applicable to your interpretations (your study of the local history allows you to determine that they are most likely from the Broken Skull Tribe, who are known to take captives, carrying them in sacks on their backs).

Who says anything is a useless fragment?

I guess I would rather to add more abilities scores to feel PCs characters by me are different, an elf with +2 Agility isn't like a gnome or a goblin with +2 Technique and then the class building would a different strategy. And my opinion is more attributes should allow more flexibility for adaptations, for example the attribute "luck" could be replaced with "spirit".

atanakar

Hero
Modern AGE uses 9:
  • Accuracy
  • Communication
  • Constitution
  • Dexterity
  • Fighting
  • Intelligence
  • Perception
  • Strength
  • Willpower

I like the fact that dexterity and accurancy are decoupled. Same for fighting and strength, as well as intelligence and communication. It allows for more character granularity than the classic D&D abilities. For exemple a dextrous character is not necessarily good with range attacks.

Remove ads