D&D 5E About the artwork...

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I don't buy many 5e products but most of the cover art, including Tasha's, I find really tepid. Of course, it's incredibly well done, but it doesn't excite me at all.

One exception would be the Ghosts of Saltmarsh cover, which I'm pretty fond of.

I noticed when I was flipping through the Art and Arcana book, the later art just seems to lack any charm to me. The early stuff is really goofy, but very endearing. The mid period is much better and I generally like. The latter stuff is very proficient, but it just seems boring to me. I'm not sure why exactly.

I would agree with you. The 5e art (like most of 5e stuff, really) is superbly effective: it just works and its really well done. But, its a little dull. Like, in 20 years, I'm pretty sure I'll still remember some specific pieces of pre-5e editions art, even some from edition I never played, but I'll just have a vague memory that, in general 5e was good, but without lasting impression. Anyway, time will tell.

Strangely, while 4e had the most boring presentation of content, I absolutely adore the semi-over-the-top art. Without being really well done, they were evocative, with is a requisite to give a lasting impression IMHO.

Oofta

Legend
I don't buy many 5e products but most of the cover art, including Tasha's, I find really tepid. Of course, it's incredibly well done, but it doesn't excite me at all.

One exception would be the Ghosts of Saltmarsh cover, which I'm pretty fond of.

I noticed when I was flipping through the Art and Arcana book, the later art just seems to lack any charm to me. The early stuff is really goofy, but very endearing. The mid period is much better and I generally like. The latter stuff is very proficient, but it just seems boring to me. I'm not sure why exactly.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Such iconic images in the old books like this one
McLean_comic.JPG

oreofox

Explorer
Yeah, I know what you mean. Such iconic images in the old books like this one

Not the biggest fan of the art in much of the 1e books (not sure if this came from one of the Basic books as I have never looked at them). But they worked fairly well. Not visually amazing. 2e had some really great art imo, 3rd's was hit and miss. Thought a lot of the 4e art was ugly (the person who did the art for the different races in the PHB doesn't have a style I particularly enjoy). 5e is hit or miss, with more miss for me.

There's one particular artist, and I think he is still commissioned by WotC, who's style makes that elf in the OP look like the greatest piece of art ever. As stated by me previously, I don't care for the image of the elf. I think it looks very unappealing. But I'd rather have that hanging above my computer (and use it as my desktop image, too) than look at this particular artist's images. Hell, I'd rather have all the art in 5e to look like the image @Oofta put in the spoiler.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
For me I guess it comes down to an embarrassment of riches. When I started gaming, there were very little fantasy artwork available to me to look at, so the art in my rpg books very much shaped my taste. I instantly took to Elmore, Parkinson and Caldwell. And Whelan, of course.

Then, more and more art became available. What was once fresh and new was now same old, same old. And so I started enjoying other kinds of art, more strange and experimental. What was once seen by me as just weird or strange, is now wonderful. Like Otus, Trampier and Sutherland.

Now I go back and forth between what is exciting to me, and what isn't. Reynolds once excited me, but now I am sort of done with that style, looking for other stuff.

I don't know, this didn't turn into an answer to your post, but rather some thoughts on what excites me when it comes to D&D art.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yes, I see. To be perfectly frank, I hate them. They have gigantic heads and bizarrely tiny legs and feet. As a pieces of cartoony art they're fine, but as attempts to depict anatomy of a creature I very much do not like them.
You know, I had a thought about this. Please don’t take this as me trying to challenge your opinion of the concept art - it’s absolutely valid and quite understandable to dislike it! But I thought this would make for an interesting thing to discuss deeper.

A lot of people strongly dislike the elf because of his strange facial proportions. A lot of people dislike early 5e depictions of halflings because of their highly exaggerated body proportions. I’m a big Dragon Age fan and I remember a ton of fans flipped out over the redesign for elves in the second game, which made them inhumanly thin and altered their facial proportions, especially in the eyes.

There seems to be a common trend of people not liking depictions of fantasy races that look too far off from basic human proportions. That’s understandable as our brains are wired to find the human form aesthetically pleasing, and there seems to be something of an uncanny valley effect when a form looks nearly human but differs just enough to make it clearly inhuman.

But it’s interesting to me that the argument that D&D races are “just humans with rubber masks” if they aren’t different enough from humans only seems to come up in discussions about ability scores and alignment, but not in discussions about their physical appearances.

The main reason I like the halfling concept art is that they look distinctly like their own race, instead of just short humans. I liked the Dragon Age 2 redesign of elves a lot for the same reason - no longer were they the human model but shorter and with pointed ears, they were a visually distinct race with their own body and facial structures. The elf under discussion in this thread I’m still not the biggest fan of. I assume his pinched face was supposed to make him look elf-y, but for whatever reason it doesn’t really do it for me. But I don’t fault the artist for trying.

Again, folks are more than welcome to disagree with me about this. I just noticed this apparent incongruity between how close to human folks want other races to be statistically vs. visually.

You know, I had a thought about this. Please don’t take this as me trying to challenge your opinion of the concept art - it’s absolutely valid and quite understandable to dislike it! But I thought this would make for an interesting thing to discuss deeper.

A lot of people strongly dislike the elf because of his strange facial proportions. A lot of people dislike early 5e depictions of halflings because of their highly exaggerated body proportions. I’m a big Dragon Age fan and I remember a ton of fans flipped out over the redesign for elves in the second game, which made them inhumanly thin and altered their facial proportions, especially in the eyes.

There seems to be a common trend of people not liking depictions of fantasy races that look too far off from basic human proportions. That’s understandable as our brains are wired to find the human form aesthetically pleasing, and there seems to be something of an uncanny valley effect when a form looks nearly human but differs just enough to make it clearly inhuman.

But it’s interesting to me that the argument that D&D races are “just humans with rubber masks” if they aren’t different enough from humans only seems to come up in discussions about ability scores and alignment, but not in discussions about their physical appearances.

The main reason I like the halfling concept art is that they look distinctly like their own race, instead of just short humans. I liked the Dragon Age 2 redesign of elves a lot for the same reason - no longer were they the human model but shorter and with pointed ears, they were a visually distinct race with their own body and facial structures. The elf under discussion in this thread I’m still not the biggest fan of. I assume his punched face was supposed to make him look elf-y, but for whatever reason it doesn’t really do it for me. But I don’t fault the artist for trying.

Again, folks are more than welcome to disagree with me about this. I just noticed this apparent incongruity between how close to human folks want other races to be statistically vs. visually.

I like non-humans having somewhat non-human anatomy. To my issue with these halfling concepts is that to me they don't look like beings with different anatomy, they look like caricature humans. And for that reasons as art pieces they're fine; they would be perfect illustrations in some childrens' book etc. But as representations of actual alternative anatomy they fail.

99bc2659b66aed19de1d8db2494cfe30.jpg

This picture looks to me more like an actual semi-realistic depiction of a humanoid of small stature rather than a mere caricature of a human.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
I like non-humans having somewhat non-human anatomy. To my issue with these halfling concepts is that to me they don't look like beings with different anatomy, they look like caricature humans. And for that reasons as art pieces they're fine; they would be perfect illustrations in some childrens' book etc. But as representations of actual alternative anatomy they fail.

99bc2659b66aed19de1d8db2494cfe30.jpg

This picture looks to me more like an actual semi-realistic depiction of a humanoid of small stature rather than a mere caricature of a human.

I agree. A couple of things stand out to me about the equipment and clothes. The boots are extra tall, almost oversized. The pouches are also oversized, the blade feels extra wide, the hair is voluminous. All of that with a slightly exaggerated head size gives you the sense of a small person without relying on external visual queues.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases