• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Absolutely vital core races in D&D

What races must be in the first PHB of any edition?

• Human

Votes: 165 93.8%
  • (Wood) Elf

Votes: 110 62.5%
  • Eladrin (High Elf)

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • Half-Elf

Votes: 49 27.8%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 140 79.5%
  • Halfling

Votes: 109 61.9%
  • Gnome

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • Half-Orc

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Tiefling

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Dragonborn

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Other (Kindly elaborate)

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Polls taste like apple pie

Votes: 14 8.0%

Lord Zack

Explorer
It's the name Eladrin that bothers me. Eladrin in my games means CG outsider from Arborea. That and I think High Elves should be natives of the Material Plane.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm for: Human, some form of elf, dwarf, halfling, gnome, half-elf, as those are the icons that have been present through most of my playing career. Others are nice, but if those aren't in the core rules, I'm likely to make something up to fill the space anyway.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
We seem to be shifting from necessary to ideal. IMHO the only necessary race is Human, because there needs to be a baseline to which everything else is compared.

I think there's a difference between the races that would be necessary for a fantasy RPG and then there's the races that are necessary for D&D to still be D&D.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Human, High Elf (and I do mean 4E Eladrin here, for some reason despite not liking elves in general i really like these ones) and Dwarf would be my only must haves. In fact I would love to run a game where those were the only PC races available.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
IMO, the races that I consider standard D&D races are: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Half-Elf, Halfling and Gnome. The fact that I started playing D&D in 2nd edition and extensilvely played 3rd probably explains why that is my opinion.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I think there's a difference between the races that would be necessary for a fantasy RPG and then there's the races that are necessary for D&D to still be D&D.
Maybe 3.x biased me, but we've had plenty of all-human parties in D&D.

Elves would have their place (in the monster manual...).

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads