• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Acquana Art Thread -- Thread Implosion 06/10/2007

Acquana

First Post
Kinda sorta. Shen is a version of either "eternal" or "circle" and Sbai is an ordinary door. There are other words for gate and stuff.

This is why I'm happy Millicent is an ancient Egypt geek ... Dorkgasm may commence.

Lady_Acoma

First Post
Want me to call in my linguistics buddies from Randomling's House? I know that one of them teaches Egyptian even...then the dorkasm's could continue on for days. Course neither of them are native English speakers, though you couldn't tell most of the time... :eek:

Lady_Acoma

First Post
I like guesstimations, but this being a RPG board I felt compelled to seem somehow smart, I will now go back to being odd and dirty...continue. :eek:

Bibliophile

First Post
Amazing art Acquana! Absolutely fantastic.

I've a quick question for you though. I'm interested in learning to draw, and I've done some sketching (mostly architecture). Though my skills to date aren't very good, I'm willing to put in time practicing. What sort of resources would you recommend for learning techniques?

She'll likely tell you the same thing she told me when we were dating and I wanted to impress her. Practice. Just draw, every day. If you want to do anything well, you have to do it consistently. Learning to draw is like a diet. You've got to do it every day, and you can't see it as a burden. Just make it part of your life. Make it so that, if you're not drawing, something's wrong.

Life drawing is key. Drawing from your head is fine, but you won't get better unless you stretch yourself. Find people and things to draw, expand your repetoire, practice on weird body parts with subtle curves, like the forearm (man, do I love forearms).

Of course, just because it's Jessie's advice doesn't mean that she herself doesn't need to be reminded of it every once in a while. ;)

Goblinfoe

First Post
PLEEEEEEASE draw my character

YOu are an amazing artist. My favorite pics are your half-minotaur sisters. Your right nobody draws female minotaurs. Im new to this site and your work was the first thing i looked at. I have a d&D pc that i have always dreamed of seeing a drawing of. He is a blind, albino minotaur monk. His eyes are covered by a headband, he wears a simple tattered cloak and his fists are wrapped tightly in cloth. I read a lot of your posts and i know u are probably very busy, but something simple would fill this gamers heart with unbelievable joy. thanx and just keep drawing

Acquana

First Post
September 19th, 2005

Bibliophile said:
Amazing art Acquana! Absolutely fantastic.

I've a quick question for you though. I'm interested in learning to draw, and I've done some sketching (mostly architecture). Though my skills to date aren't very good, I'm willing to put in time practicing. What sort of resources would you recommend for learning techniques?

Rangerwickett said:
She'll likely tell you the same thing she told me when we were dating and I wanted to impress her. Practice. Just draw, every day. If you want to do anything well, you have to do it consistently. Learning to draw is like a diet. You've got to do it every day, and you can't see it as a burden. Just make it part of your life. Make it so that, if you're not drawing, something's wrong.

Life drawing is key. Drawing from your head is fine, but you won't get better unless you stretch yourself. Find people and things to draw, expand your repetoire, practice on weird body parts with subtle curves, like the forearm (man, do I love forearms).

Rangerwickett had it pretty much on the money. ^_^;; The one that a lot of teachers gave me ... one that's really hard to do ... is this: Draw every day, and for most of those days, sketch things you don't like to draw. Don't like drawing animals? Draw animals. Don't like feet? Draw feet. You get the idea. It's haaaaard, and I know it because I don't really take that advice as often as I should.

Goblinfoe said:
YOu are an amazing artist. My favorite pics are your half-minotaur sisters. Your right nobody draws female minotaurs. Im new to this site and your work was the first thing i looked at. I have a d&D pc that i have always dreamed of seeing a drawing of. He is a blind, albino minotaur monk. His eyes are covered by a headband, he wears a simple tattered cloak and his fists are wrapped tightly in cloth. I read a lot of your posts and i know u are probably very busy, but something simple would fill this gamers heart with unbelievable joy. thanx and just keep drawing

I always love replies! And those who post often (hint hint) here are more likely to get sketches than those who don't. ;) Seriously, I just haven't really been doing any requests lately. I do favors for friends, stuff from my own games, and comission. The third is always a favorite, but eh. I might get around to it eventually. ^_^

So hey, yeah, I haven't replied in a while. Time to catch folks up on my games! In the one I run, the PCs did indeed take on Sahkrekal, and it was 80 shades of awesome. Virgil nearly died, he's got all his hitpoints back but lost his hair and one eyebrow to flamebreath ... A new player was introduced (which brings the count up now to six PCs and 3 NPCs, ah, my games can never be simple), and they've escaped the clutches of Dr. Koffman with their friend who was captured in tow!

But that's not what I'm gonna talk about. I'm gonna talk about the very last half-hour or so of playing when everyone was allowing the adreneline from fighting Koffman, a vampire gunslinger, and a rather old red dragon to wear off.

For some time now, Virgil has been taken with Ammut. As I mentioned before, I no longer have control of this character, and him being soooooo far out of his element has made him a tad unpredictable for me. The irony of his crush on Ammut is astounding, and I figured it would never go anywhere. After all, he simply wasn't going to build up the courage to say anything on his own, and he feels rather guilty about being taken with a woman at all. Those whole medieval Europe sensibilities for ya.

It's taken at least four or five sessions for some of the characters to start picking up on it. Hiro did only because Hiro's been spending a lot more time around Virgil over the last five or so sessions. Pojo just caught it before this last one. Pojo and Ammut have been rather unseriously flirting with each other since they met. He took Virgil aside at the end of the last game, and flat-out asked him if he was interested in Ammut. Through a lot of stuttering and large words, he basically said "Yes, but I don't really have a chance compared to you."

Pojo's response to this was a slight chuckle, and he called over Ammut. While Virgil turned pale, Pojo grabbed Virgil's hand and placed it in Ammut's.

Wendy made a comic about the scene from Pojo's point of view. The first row of panels is about after Virgil rolled painfully low on a charisma check while trying to speak to Ammut. He spat out the way he felt after making a lot of dry noises, said he'd figured he'd made a fool of himself and stomped off to let Pojo know just how grateful he was for that awkwardness. The other one is Hiro, who was actually rather impressed by Pojo trying to help out Virgil. As odd a way as it was.

10.png

Ah, but what really was the deciding thing here? Why, the lady's affections, of course. She pulled Virgil aside again right after his storming off, and informed him she found his efforts extemely adorable. Well, then ... It appears the medieval Christian monk is trying to woo the avatar of an Egpytian monster. Crazygonuts, but hey, they both seem pretty happy about it.

11.jpg

So hey, speaking of strange couples ... In Century City, five months after Wellstar's last campaign, Dozer and Guardian Sphyx are still going out. They both went together as their alter-egos to the tree lighting ceremony in Century Square. Pat was getting a little tired of people of staring at them.

12.jpg

Our new housemate has also made a character, a former villian known as Pandemonium. (The big guy with grey skin in the sketches there) He had just gotten out of Blackgate at the very beginning of this session, and was happy to be a free man. In that repentant kind of way. Most of the session was spent fighting some kind of slime monster and the Century Sentinels needed some kind of incentive to trust him. After all, the first time that someone recognized him (in a way more specific than "Wow, he looks messed up") was when Pat Alex was literally bumped into. Not having as much tact as she does as Dozer, she took one good look at Solomon Grant and said "Aren't you supposed to be in Blackgate?"

13.jpg

But, hey, by the end of the session, the beginnings of a trust were made. We shall see how it goes! Although he no longer goes by Pandemonium, Solomon Grant is now a member of the Century Sentinels.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads