• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Actual play: my first "social only" session

pemerton

Legend
wedgeski, agreed. And AbdulAlhazred has made the same point in the past, I think. Like you say, with disarming traps and the like it's basically just a complex skill check, and can be run in a pretty simulationist fashion.

wedgeski, agreed. And AbdulAlhazred has made the same point in the past, I think. Like you say, with disarming traps and the like it's basically just a complex skill check, and can be run in a pretty simulationist fashion.
Right. You probably want to still inject a sort of narrative in there to create tension, and maybe stimulate the players to some added creativity. So maybe the tricky puzzle lock does something when you get a failure. Tumblers randomize themselves, bits of mechanism move, a bunch of small openings appear in the wall, whatever. That kind of thing will usually get the players hanging on the edges of their seats even though such a challenge is not really all that dynamic. Since it should be over in a handful of checks though it should work OK.

Remove ads