Add A Colossal $250 Sailing Ship To Your D&D Minis Collection!

The Falling Star Sailing Ship is a 33" colossal model of a sailing ship produced by WizKids, as part of their Icons of the Realms series.

The Falling Star Sailing Ship is a 33" colossal model of a sailing ship produced by WizKids, as part of their Icons of the Realms series.

thefallingstar_1.jpg

In full, it's 17.2" tall, 33" long, and 6.4" wide, with reversible deck tiles (with/without gridlines), magnetic removable masts and staircases, and more. It will retail for $249.99. "Adventure awaits on the high seas with the D&D Icons of the Realms: The Falling Star Sailing Ship! This fantastic fully-painted miniature of colossal stature and tremendous detail stands a whopping 17.2" tall, 33" long, and 6.4" wide (12.6" wide at the masts!)* and has a myriad of features! Additionally, the deck tiles are reversible, with or without grid lines, to allow for whichever way you play or wish to display this premium show piece. This feature rich ships includes multiple stackable deck tiles allowing players to fight on the deck or in the dark underbelly of the ship, magnetized removable masts, removable stair cases, and even functional hatches on the sides of the ships for you to fire upon your enemies! Perfect for aquatic adventures, one shot side quests, or even taking on the godlike kraken, the D&D Icons of the Realms: The Falling Star Sailing Ship is sure to bring marvelous excitement to your tabletop!" Thanks to Gustavo for the scoop!

FallingStar-Exploded-Front_Perspective02-1200x1200.jpg

Derren

Hero
I don't really see how that would be iconic.

Sailing ships were always problematic in D&D because the generic pulp version of sailing ships (and pirate/swashbuckler settings) includes cannons. Yet D&D is strictly no-gunpowder. So you kinda have a lore problem here (the non final image has gun ports for example).
Mostly that gets glossed over or you suddenly have "magical cannons" which are only used on sea and never on land etc.
Still reason enough to not count it as iconic.

What type of ship is that thing trying represent anyway?

ccs

41st lv DM

Sailing ships were always problematic in D&D because the generic pulp version of sailing ships (and pirate/swashbuckler settings) includes cannons. Yet D&D is strictly no-gunpowder. So you kinda have a lore problem here (the non final image has gun ports for example).

Yeah. Except for those spaceships, robots, lazer guns, & cross-overs with Boot Hill/Gamma World we've had since 1e.
Or that Spell Jammer stuff from the 90's so many of you want dusted off. Masque of the Red Death stuff too. I'm sure there were guns & stuff in one of those 2e Complete Historical guides to something-or-other....
Ebberon since 3x.
Optional rules for guns in the 5e DMG. Probably somewhere in 3x. Definitely in Pathfinder.
And now Ravnica.
Not to mention countless things made by 3rd parties....

Yup, no guns in D&D.

Yeah. Except for those spaceships, robots, lazer guns, & cross-overs with Boot Hill/Gamma World we've had since 1e.
Or that Spell Jammer stuff from the 90's so many of you want dusted off. Masque of the Red Death stuff too. I'm sure there were guns & stuff in one of those 2e Complete Historical guides to something-or-other....
Ebberon since 3x.
Optional rules for guns in the 5e DMG. Probably somewhere in 3x. Definitely in Pathfinder.
And now Ravnica.
Not to mention countless things made by 3rd parties....

Yup, no guns in D&D.

He didn't say there weren't rules for guns and gunpowder. He said it wasn't "iconic". And he's right. Those rules are a side line to the main rules. Optional. The Gunslinger in Pathfinder has served to make it more mainstream. But the weapons are constrained and limited. The Boot Hill (and Panzerfaust in case you missed that) crossovers were one offs on different planes. The science fantasy elements were limited to specific places (i.e. the City of the Gods in Blackmoor and Expedition to the Barrier Peaks in Greyhawk). In short, guns, gunpowder (and ray guns and robots) were the icing, not the cake. They were fun because they were special (in the setting) and familiar (to the PCs), not because they were "iconic" to the rules. Empire of the Petal Throne featured technological items, but they were basically magic items (the Eyes, the Tubeway system etc.) to the inhabitants of Tekumel. Chainmail had the historic medieval gunpowder weapons, but they were, for the most part, left out of the original game. Probably because no DM wanted to see their Dragons get blown up with kegs of gunpowder :)

Mostly that gets glossed over or you suddenly have "magical cannons" which are only used on sea and never on land etc.
Still reason enough to not count it as iconic.

What type of ship is that thing trying represent anyway?

I pretty much agree with you. As for the ship type... a brig, although it really looks like it needs a third mast to be a sloop. The gun ports mark it as a sailing warship of the 17th to 19th century by design. A pirate ship from the movies maybe. I would prefer either a Viking longship (or a warboat - the smaller version), a medieval cog or caravel (sneaking into the gunpowder era with this one), or a Byzatine Dromon... or a Greco-Roman galley (a penteconter, bireme or trireme maybe). Or something a bit more pre-gunpowder whose main armament were archers, ballista and catapults. You could arm it with ballista firing through the ports I suppose. Alternately you could do a 16th to 18th century style swashbuckler game with gunpowder and magic. It would be good for that. As for it's relation to the Forgotten Realms, I never went deep into it. I have the boxed set, a couple of 3E books... *shrug* I always used my own setting (and still do). I may just be missing its relation to Realms lore.

It is pretty good looking. It looks a bit "off" with two masts though. A brigs masts are usually placed differently to what is shown in the picture...

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
Aw man... all these cool ships are coming out after I wrapped up my Spelljammer game.

... I guess it's not too late to plan my next campaign around those characters and actually have some significant ship-to-ship interactions this time.

Remove ads

Remove ads