D&D 5E Adding proficiency to damage?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
That is not a trap, but a feature for me. Though I think it does make sense to offer some type of re-training. I was just not sure how to word it.
Just like Monte Cook saw poor feats in 3.0 as a feature because it encouraged system mastery, it does not mean that's the general consensus. It's one of the things the Devs talked about way back when as something they avoided. They revisited it years later with a UA of weapon specific feats that they abandoned after feedback.

dave2008

Legend
Just like Monte Cook saw poor feats in 3.0 as a feature because it encouraged system mastery, it does not mean that's the general consensus. It's one of the things the Devs talked about way back when as something they avoided. They revisited it years later with a UA of weapon specific feats that they abandoned after feedback.
Sure, if your designing a game it is a bad idea. But I don't have to design a game, I just have to play with my group. That is why in several of my posts I said: go with the OP, but in my personal game...

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
The short-way of looking at this is: if you add you ability modifier to damage (either by default or a feature), you add your proficiency bonus (assuming you ARE proficient in the case of weapons).

Wizards would get the same +3 as rogues.
Maybe I'm not understanding how you're doing it, but from the edit on your OP, it sounded like you only got the bonus proficiency damage if you also added your ability modifier to damage. Most of the time wizards don't add ability modifier, so for most things they'd get no bonus to damage. Is that not your plan?

Yes there are things like empowered evocation, but that's 10th level for one subclass. Or the wizard could choose to throw darts at their enemy, but most wizards I've seen or played don't do that in 5e.

Stormonu

Legend
I like that idea.

Favored Weapon​

Choose a weapon you are proficient in, dagger, short sword, long sword, etc., as your favored weapon. When wielding this weapon you can add your proficiency bonus to your damage when you hit a target.
Sounds like the old “Weapon Specialization” rules almost.

Not that‘s a bad idea, but an alternative would be to work it into the fighting styles; weapons in your style add proficiency to damage. It’s a little broader and prevents some of the issues with weapon specializing being great until you’re specialized in Longsword and a magic Scimitar of Speed shows up in a treasure pile. Would have to do something for Defense and Protection, though - perhaps subtract your proficiency from damage as (part of) a reaction if hit?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Maybe I'm not understanding how you're doing it, but from the edit on your OP, it sounded like you only got the bonus proficiency damage if you also added your ability modifier to damage
Yes, that is the idea but I missed part of it when I edited the OP and I have updated it. The part that was missing is this:

"if you make an attack roll"

So, weapons and spell attack cantrips would benefit from this. Guiding bolt would also benefit, but magic missile wouldn't, etc.

That does favor spell attack cantrips vs. spell save for damage cantrips, so I am not sure how I want to handle that.

Or the wizard could choose to throw darts at their enemy, but most wizards I've seen or played don't do that in 5e.
LOL that is too bad, it is one of my favorite things about D&D. ;) (My very first PC was a magic-user named "Dartson" because he threw darts.)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin

Favored Weapon​

Choose a weapon you are proficient in, dagger, short sword, long sword, etc., as your favored weapon. When wielding this weapon you can add your proficiency bonus to your damage when you hit a target
This was something we had (similar to it) in our Mod but it was fighters only and they used half proficiency bonus, not full. Since we added foci (ability, combat, magic), we ended up dropping it for Consistent Attack (whenever you take an action other than Attack, you can use your bonus action to make a weapon attack).

IvyDragons

Explorer
Quick thought/ question: do you think adding proficiency bonus to damage would be too much?
I mean its like giving someone a +3 weapon at level 3. What does that do to CR, to balance vs everything else. The impact could be huge for the general community. But if you want to do it at your table, sure why not.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I mean its like giving someone a +3 weapon at level 3.
I see your point but it isn't really.

Level 3 proficiency bonus is +2. And you already get that on your attack rolls...

For instance, with STR 16 you would go from +5 attack +3 damage to +5 attack +5 damage. Giving them a +3 weapon would be +8 attack and +6 damage...

+5/+5 vs. +8/+6 is a big difference.

Anyway, I am not saying it would change things, but not quite as much as you're implying. 🤷‍♂️

dave2008

Legend
This was something we had (similar to it) in our Mod but it was fighters only and they used half proficiency bonus, not full. Since we added foci (ability, combat, magic), we ended up dropping it for Consistent Attack (whenever you take an action other than Attack, you can use your bonus action to make a weapon attack).
Favored Weapon was intended to be a fighter feature in my example.

hungrymouth

Villager
I have it in my game. But via Feat. I tweaked the horrible Weapon Master Feat from:

+1 to Str or Dex
4 Proficiencies in weapons you choose

To

+1 to Str or Dex
Choose 1 weapon you are Proficient with, you may add your Proficiency modifier to damage rolls made with this weapon.

1. The players that want it get it
2. You dont need to update the rest of the game since they bought/paid for it.
3. You get rid of a stinky feat.

Remove ads