• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure: Get Me to the Church on Time (DM: BenBrown, Judge: Renau1g)

bluesfella

Explorer
Zardi looks at Tyris and says quietly "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" After a moment with no response, he simply adds "Yeah, I thought so." and pats Tyris on the shoulder.

He then walks back over to the last skeleton he destroyed, and starts looking for a knuckle bone to add to his pouch.

Last edited:

BenBrown

First Post
"If it was the woman's father who infested this place with unholy spirits, that is a grave thing indeed. But I doubt that it is so."
"If nottin else, den dat durty ol'mon needtabe told dat dis issa de end of it, an if anyting else happen to Lor' Malabe, den 'is door is gonna be da first place I an I show up."
"No, I do not think he is responsible for the spirits here," Mallaby says. "He knows nothing of this place, nor cares. His ancestors lie here, but he has shown no regard for them--I do not mean neglecting this place, for Allaria is a dangerous place, but he has used the book of rituals, which his family once lived by, as a mere prop for deceiving me. I do not think he will try more if I return alive. My humiliation will be enough for him."
"Ya mon, o'course da warrior princess would like ya, but da long distance ting could be a problem. An, no doubt, she would take da matters a payback inta her own hands, ya 'ear?"
"Well, we may have the chance to meet her again, as our road back lies through her lands."
Tyris listens to the others converse, occasionally nodding his head in agreement, but voicing no opinion of his own.
Zardi looks at Tyris and says quietly "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" After a moment with no response, he simply adds "Yeah, I thought so." and pats Tyris on the shoulder.

He then walks back over to the last skeleton he destroyed, and starts looking for a knuckle bone to add to his pouch.

"Come, friends," Mallaby says, "Let us be away."

BenBrown

First Post
Before departing, Mallaby takes the carved wooden box dropped by the eagle and safely stows it away. Then he turns, and leaves the ruined chapel, back up the path by which the party entered.

The day is much as before, clear and sunny, but there is a less excited mood in the air as the group heads up the slope--whether it is just a change in them, or a change in the environment is difficult to say. It was still early in the day when they reached the temple, and there are many hours of sunlight left for traveling. The first part of the return journey is mostly uphill and slightly slower, but by mid-afternoon, they have reached the mushroom forest again. Stepping through it warily this time, they pass the remains of the battle, which was only the previous night, yet seems like it was weeks ago.

There is no movement amongst the great fungus this time. I any of the mushrooms are animate, they are leaving well enough alone.

The group continues up the trail. As they reach the ridge they can see the old tower a ways off to the right, and ahead of them a panorama of Allarian wilderness as the long slope leads down to Achirem and the lands beyond.

Someone is coming rapidly up the slope towards the party. As the person nears, the group recognizes it as Thais, one of Ismene's companions. She is running rapidly up hill, and is nearly out of breath when she reaches the group.

"You're here?" she says looking surprised. "But I thought... the wedding."

"Alas," Mallaby says, "There was no wedding, and there is to be none. I am betrayed, and perhaps condemned to live a lonely life, for she that was to be my bride has proved to be my--"

"Never mind that!" Thais cuts in. "Thank the gods you're here. Ismene's been captured!"
OOC: Sorry for the delay. Enworld has been very poky.

BenBrown

First Post
"Indeed," Mallaby says, "Master Sarak speaks the truth. I, with my companions, will aid you in this, for Ismene is no shrinking damsel in distress, and if she is taken, it must be by a formidable foe."

"It was another bunch of Hobgoblin slavers," Thais says. "They may have been coming to reinforce Ruthak. They caught us out in the open. I don't know how they got close. They may have some sort of mage with them. Ismene got nabbed immediately. Carlotta and I managed to get away, but she got a nasty leg wound. I sent her back to recuperate, and followed them for a while until I was sure where they were going. Then I remembered that you had gone over to Crovale and there was going to be a big group there with armed guards. I guess they never showed, but at least I've found you. Maybe we'll be enough."

Having caught her breath she starts walking back down the slope.

"Come on," she says. "We've got to move fast to catch them before dark."

BenBrown

First Post
[sblock=ooc]I just realized I never did the short rest healing after the last encounter. Here's the status of the PCs:
Goldenhorn: HP 30/37, Surges 10/10
Spider: HP 31/39, Surges 10/10
Tyris: HP 14/29, Surges 7/7
Zardi: HP 27/48, Surges 10/11

I'm going to assume that everyone uses enough surges to get back to full HP. Please let me know if you don't want to do that.[/sblock]

Remove ads