• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure: Get Me to the Church on Time (DM: BenBrown, Judge: Renau1g)

BenBrown

First Post
Thais leads the party off on to a side trail, old and poorly kept, but still well-trodden. It goes up a broad valley through heavy woods. A small stream passes back and forth across the trail several times, and the mud around the fords shows the prints of heavily-shod hobgoblin feet. The trail moves on for an hour or two. The hobgoblins can move fast, but are burdened with at least one prisoner.

A flash of color through the trees brings the party to a halt. Slowly moving closer, the splash of color resolves into a red and white striped pavillion, pitched in a clearing on the other side of another small ford. That this is the band that the party has been pursuing is made evident by a hobgoblin standing sentry just off of the trail, and several others milling about in the clearing.

"I didn't expect a tent," Thais says. "I wonder where they got it."
"Do you think that Ismene is inside?" Mallaby asks.
"And probably some hobgoblins with her," she says. "This doesn't look like all of them out front."

The party inches closer through the brush, keeping low to avoid being seen.

"Now is the moment of truth," Mallaby whispers portentously (and pretentiously). "This time I will not sit idly by. I know that I am no match in battle for you, my friends, but I am willing to do my part. My plan is this: we have two groups. The first will attack to draw their attention. The second will avoid fighting if possible--I shall be in this group--and will wait until the hobgoblins are engaged and then make for the tent, enter it, and rescue our 'damsel in distress.' Or at least untie her. I have no doubt she can see to her own rescue after that if she is conscious. Do not attempt to dissuade me. I do not wish to be a burden to you, but no more do I wish to avoid danger for my own sake. You have completed the task that I requested when we set out on this journey, but I have reached the chapel, and you need guard my journey no longer.
"If you have an alternate plan, I will hear you out. If not, I propose to move through the foliage to the right, then dash across the stream to the tent while the hobgoblins are engaged in fighting."[sblock=Initiative]Tyris (1d20+5=19)
Spider (1d20+5=17)
Zardi (1d20+1=16)
Goldenhorn (1d20+1=15)
Enemies (1d20+5=8)

Everybody gets a surprise round, then gets to go before the enemies.[/sblock][sblock=Perception DC 13 (Active or Passive)]There is at least one hobgoblin on the opposite side of the tent.[sblock=Perception DC 15 (Active or Passive)]There is a hobgoblin behind the tree at L11.[sblock=Perception DC 16 (Active or Passive)]There is movement, probably from more sentries, in the brush at L2 and C16.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock][sblock=map]
RescueEncounterStart.gif

RescueEncounterMapKey.gif
[/sblock][sblock=status]Goldenhorn: AA23 HP 37/37, Surges 9/10, AP 1, second wind unused, prone
Spider: AA24 HP 39/39, Surges 9/10, AP 1, second wind unused, prone
Tyris: AA25 HP 29/29, Surges 5/7, AP 1, second wind unused, prone
Zardi: AA21 HP 48/48, Surges 8/11, AP 1, second wind unused, prone

Mallaby: AA22 HP 26/26, Surges 5/5, second wind unused, prone
Thais: AA26 HP 38/38, Surges 5/5, second wind unused, prone

Sword Hobgoblin 26: Q13 HP Uninjured
Sword Hobgoblin 37: P15 HP Uninjured
Spear Hobgoblin 70: L27 HP Uninjured
Spear Hobgoblin 79: W12 HP Uninjured
Flail Hobgoblin 34: O14 HP Uninjured
Bow Hobgoblin 25: P18 HP Uninjured[/sblock][sblock=NPCs in Combat]This combat is a little different in that there are two NPCs, one of whom is reasonably competent.

Any PC can take a move or minor action to have an NPC perform a move action (or a minor action).
Any PC can take a standard action to have an NPC perform a standard action.

NPCs can take free actions and opportunity actions normally, without the direction of PCs. They are always considered to have their weapons in hand and don’t need to spend actions unsheathing them.

If, in a given round, none of the PCs give instructions to Thais, she will take a single non-offensive action, either a move or total defense.

If, in a given round, none of the PCs give instructions to Lord Mallaby, he will attempt to make his way to the tent, using two move actions--stealthily at first, but in the open once spotted. He's determined to take an active part in this rescue, and going straight for where he thinks Ismene is kept is the best plan. He can, of course, told not to, but unless he's doing something else useful, he'll want to make for the tent.

If either NPC becomes bloodied, that NPC will use Second Wind as a standard action without needing actions on the part of a player.[/sblock][sblock=NPC stats]Lord Adelin Mallaby
HP: 26, Bloodied 13, Surge Value 6
AC: 15, Fort: 12, Ref: 13, Will: 14
Speed 6
Skills: Diplomacy +8, History +6, Stealth +3, Perception +1
:bmelee: Rapier +6 vs. AC, 1d8+4 damage
[o] Second Wind

Thais
HP: 38, Bloodied 19, Surge Value 9
AC: 16, Fort: 13, Ref: 14, Will: 15
Skills: Arcana +6, Nature +11, Stealth +3, Perception +4
:bmelee: Staff +7 vs. AC, 1d8+5 damage
Spore Strike Ranged 10
Attack: +5 vs. Will
Hit: 1d4+4 poison damage and the target is blinded until the end of its next turn.
[o] Bramble Patch Area Burst 1 within 10
Attack: +5 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8+5 damage, and the attack creates a zone which lasts until the end of the encounter. Any enemy that starts its turn in the zone takes 3 damage and is slowed.
[o] Tree Step (move action)
Effect: Thais teleports 8 squares.
Requirement: Both the starting square and the target square must be adjacent to trees.
[o] Second Wind[/sblock][sblock=Enemy Stats]Flail Hobgoblin
AC 19, Fort 17, Ref 15, Will 15
Passive Perception 18
:bmelee: Flail: +8 vs. AC, 1d10+5 and target is marked until the beginning of the Hobgoblin's next turn.
These guys have an immediate interrupt, the result of which the first time in a round that one of their adjacent allies would be hit by an attack vs. AC or Ref that hits by a margin of less than two, the attack misses.[sblock=nature 13]Hobgoblin Battle Guard
Level 3 Soldier
medium natural humanoid[sblock=nature 21]Phalanx Movement: As a move action the Battle Guard and each adjacent ally can shift 1 square. The allies must shift to a square adjacent to the Battle Guard.[/sblock][/sblock]Sword Hobgoblin
AC 17, Fort 15, Ref 13, Will 12
Passive Perception 11
+2 to AC if adjacent to at least one hobgoblin ally.
:bmelee: Long Sword: +6 vs. AC, 5 damage.[sblock=nature 13]Hobgoblin Grunt
Level 3 Minion
medium natural humanoid[sblock=nature 21]Hobgoblin Resilience (encounter): When the Grunt suffers an effect that a save can end, the Grunt can make an immediate saving throw.[/sblock][/sblock]Spear Hobgoblin
AC 20, Fort 18, Ref 16, Will 15
Passive Perception 13
+2 to AC if adjacent to at least one hobgoblin ally.
:bmelee: Spear: +11 vs. AC, 4 damage.[sblock=nature 14]Hobgoblin Sentry
Level 4 Soldier Minion
medium natural humanoid[sblock=nature 21]Hobgoblin Resilience (encounter): When the Sentry suffers an effect that a save can end, the Sentry can make an immediate saving throw.[/sblock][/sblock]Bow Hobgoblin
AC 17, Fort 15, Ref 15, Will 13
Passive Perception 18
:bmelee: Longsword: +8 vs. AC, 1d8+2 damage. (not drawn at present)[sblock=nature 13]Hobgoblin Archer
Level 3 Artillery
medium natural humanoid[sblock=nature 21]When the Archer hits with its longbow, in addition to damage, it grants an ally a +2 bonus to its next ranged attack against the same target.
Hobgoblin Resilience (encounter): When the Archer suffers an effect that a save can end, the Archer can make an immediate saving throw.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

Mewness

First Post
OOC: Goldenhorn spends one. He also had one healing word left, which would be an extra 1d6+4 on top of surge value if anyone wants it. Tyris?

[sblock=Goldenhorn]Ingvar Goldenhorn Male Minotaur Cleric|Runepriest 3
Initiative: +1, Passive Perception: 17, Passive Insight: 15, Senses: Normal
AC:19, Fort:15, Reflex:12, Will:17
HP:37/37, Bloodied:18, Surge Value:9, Surges left:9/10
Action Points: 1
Righteous Brand
Word of Binding

Goring Charge
Divine Glow
Beacon of Vengeance
Healing Word
Rune of Mending
Second Wind

Moment of Glory
Shield of Sacrifice

Conditions:

Rune State of Destruction: Allies gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls against enemies that are adjacent to me.
Rune State of Protection: While adjacent to me, allies gain resist 2 to all damage.

Defiant Word: Whenever an enemy misses Goldenhorn with an attack, he gains a +4 (non-cumulative) bonus to damage rolls against that enemy until the end of his next turn.

Full sheet: Goldenhorn[/sblock]

Last edited:

VanderLegion

First Post
OOC: Goldenhorn spends one. He also had one healing word left, which would be an extra 1d6+4 on top of surge value if anyone wants it. Tyris?

OOC: Might as well use the healing word instead of my second normal healing surge, get that last 1 hp. Encounter power means no reason not to since you get it back.

BenBrown

First Post
OOC: Might as well use the healing word instead of my second normal healing surge, get that last 1 hp. Encounter power means no reason not to since you get it back.

GM: Okay, I'll note that.

Just to clarify, right now you've got the element of surprise. If you want to start from here, start with that, but if you want to do some re-positioning while still hidden in the brush, you'll need to make stealth rolls and possibly lose surprise. You still win initiative, though.

Feel free to discuss tactics in and out of character.

bluesfella

Explorer
Zardi whispers to Mallaby "I can cause a ruckus if you want me to. Just tell me when." and points to the middle of the hobgoblins.
OOC: If I charge, I can make it all the way to R13 and start yelling and hitting things.

VanderLegion

First Post
Zardi whispers to Mallaby "I can cause a ruckus if you want me to. Just tell me when." and points to the middle of the hobgoblins.
OOC: If I charge, I can make it all the way to R13 and start yelling and hitting things.

Tyris points at the hobgoblins they can see, then points at the bushes on the far sides of the camp, then indicates himself making his way around the outside of the camp and mimes grabbing someone with his garrote.
OOC: I could try to sneak around the outside and kill the sentries hiding in the bushes. (Yay for high passive perception

bluesfella

Explorer
Zardi shakes his head, glares at Tyris and says quietly "They don't need hugs - these are the bad guys." Then with a slightly confused expression, turns to Mallaby. "Right?"

Tenchuu

First Post
OOC: Are you sure you can make it that far, Bluesfella? In the surprise round, you only get one action. We could all run in the surprise round, I think, since the penalties to running should fade when the surprise round ends.

I'm in a crappy starting spot, so even with charge 10, I can't reach an adjacent enemy (since the water is DT). I'm thinking maybe we should all go straight and aim to take out that bowman first. That should make it easier to protect Mallaby if there are no archers

Remove ads