[Adventure] He Chained Their Minds (DM: CrimsonFlameWielder; Judge Needed )

Kane is slowed down by the red cap's stone wall trap, but Ignatz blasts through it before it was really even raised. The half-orc's war-shovel obliterates one of the dwarves channeling earth energies, and the wall hesitates for just a moment before another of the dwarves picks up the slack. At just that moment, half a dozen of the short, red-beret-wearing blighters point a finger at Ignatz and stomp their feet. The ground just beneath Ignatz suddenly turns to mud, and slimy mud hands reach out and grab his legs and arms, before solidifying into solid stone. The stone shapes pierce Ignatz with spikes that skewer his arms and legs. Blood flows down his body and pools at his feet.

OOC: Six of the red-caps attack Ignatz with a stone form attack. 4 of the 6 of them hit ignatz' reflex. Ignatz loses 2 healing surges, takes a -8 penalty to his next athletics check, and is slowed (save ends).

However... since Ignatz did cause the rock wall to hesitate, he grants Kama'zer, Joy, Vander, and Sound of Stone a +4 bonus to their athletics check for this round.

Chase Results: 2 Successes of ?

Buffers:
7:
6: Ignatz
5: Kama'zer
4: Joy, Vander
3: Sound of Stone
2: Kane
1:
0:

[sblock=Unseilee Death Race: Round 1]

Kane: Rolls 14 on Athletics check, falling from Buffer 3 to Buffer 2. However, he hits 4 of 9 front-line enemies with area burst 1 attack, granting everyone's next Athletics check with a +2 bonus.

Kama'zer: Rolls 1d20+11+2 (from Kane's bonus) -2 (speed penalty from armor), for a total roll of 28. Kamazer moves from Buffer 3 to Buffer 4. Not taking an action.

Vander: Rolls 1d20+3+2 (from Kane's bonus), for a total of 17, a success. He stays at Buffer 3. Uses Burning Brand, but rolls NAT 1, failing to start a brush fire.

Joy:Rolls 20 Athletics, staying at Buffer 3. Not taking an action.

Ignatz: Rolls 23 Athletics, moving to Buffer 4. Minor action: Body of the Wolf, granting him +1 speed.

Sound of Stone: Moves down to Buffer 2, assisting Kane, and rolls 25 Athletics. Full success and will move with Kane to Buffer 3 at the start of Kane's next turn.

[/sblock]
[sblock=Unseilee Death Race: Round 2]
Sound of Stone: Pulls himself and Kane up to Buffer 3; Finds a dying tree up ahead with a successful Perception Check (rolled total of 18).

Kane: Pulled up to Buffer 3 by Sound of Stone; Evil Eye of the Vistani misses.

Ignatz: Dashes ahead of the group of adventurers (athletics 28; moves to Buffer 5) and smashes a large tree's remaining attachments, sending it careening toward their pursuers. After everyone else has gone, the tree hits 8 of the first 12 of them, blocking their path until the congested group manages to climb and/or fly over. This will grant everyone in the group a +4 bonus to their round 3 athletics check!

Joy: Makes a running leap over the rolling tree (athletics 25) and pushes ahead to Buffer 4. Attempts to distract with a magical bluff check (rolled 16), but this fails.

Kama'zer: Leaps over tree, readying a use of Telekinetic Leap in case Vander should fail to make it over himself, and surges ahead to Buffer 5.

Vander: Just barely skims the top of the bouncing tree (Athletics 20), but Telekinetic Leap kicks in, and Vander surges over the tree and toward the others. He moves up to Buffer 4.

[/sblock]
[sblock=Unseelie Death Race: Round 3 ]

NOTE: +4 bonus to everyone's Athletics check this round due to tree hitting 8 of 12 enemies on Ignatz attack

Kane: Fails Athletics roll (15) and falls back to Buffer 2.
Ignatz: Rockets past the stone wall with Athletics roll (36), racing ahead of the group at an incredible buffer 6.
Joy: ?
Kama'zer: ?
Vander: ?
Sound of Stone: ?
[/sblock]

WEContact

First Post
Ignatz thrashes violently, destroying the clay trap, and bounds away into the woods. Blood in his boots squelches audibly with each huge stride, but Ignatz doesn't even register the pain.

OOC:
Immediate Reaction: Shrug It Off
Ignatz saves against slow and shifts 1 square, granting +2 to his speed for next round

OOC: Sorry about that @VanderLegion ! When I started typing my post up, Ignatz had just taken his turn. Since I didn't see your turn, feel free to apply the +4 to your roll (since I said you could in my post, and I had not seen the results of it. No problem at all on using Pixie dust on your turn for Kane. you're within 2 Buffers of him, so I'll allow it. (There is no definitive size for a buffer, but it is around 2 to 3 squares. I just figured it would be MUCH easier to run this by buffers than by trying to get picky about exact movement, since this is a skill challenge, and not an actual battle :)

I'm being lazy and not wanting to go back a page or two to re-read my own posts (lol), but if I'm not mistaken, a 27 would mean that you move up one buffer (which we'll say happens AFTER you use pixie dust on Kane).
[MENTION=69684]WEContact[/MENTION]: You wiley bastage you! How dare you invalidate an awesomely set up, pre-determined reaction by the red-caps ;) Just for clarity, shifting one square doesn't grant +2 speed, but it does count as an additional speed for your turn, and thus a +2 bonus to your next athletics check... which combined with the -8 penalty brings you down to a -6 penalty... but dangit... I was really hoping to make you lose a buffer with a -8 penalty plus speed penalty for being slow (LOL). So... good job. Keep up the good work! (TAKE THAT whoever says that all 4e powers are purely combat based!)

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
Kama'zer continues her run and tries to help anyone who needs it still.

[sblock=Actions/Stat block]Start=
Move= Athletics check = 1d20+11=29 With +4 from Ignatz, would be a 33 total!
Standard=
End=
[sblock=stat block]Kama'zer Anma'giduu- Female Githyanki Warlord 6
Conditions: none
Passive Perception: +14, Passive Insight: +14, Init: +11
AC: 21, Fort: 19, Reflex: 18, Will: 17 -- Speed: 5
HP: 51/51, Bloodied: 25, Surge Value: 12, Surges left: 9/9
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used, Milestones:
:bmelee:Basic Attack +2 Githyanki Silver Longsword +13 vs AC 1d8+6 damage -- Crit = 8+2d8+6 dmg
:branged: Ranged Basic Attack Javelin +10 vs AC 1d6+4 damage Range 10/20 -- Hvy Thrown
Powers- Opening Shove, Wolf Pack Tactics,
Warlord's Favor, Inspiring Word x2, Telekinetic Leap - USED, Steel Monsoon, Aid the Injured
Lead the Attack, Stand the Fallen, Stand Tough
Githyanki Silver Longsword- Foe Banishing(Daily), Exalted Armor(Daily), Cloak of Resistance(Daily), Shield of Bashing(Daily), Luckbender Gloves(Encounter), Githyanki Silver Longsword- psychic damage(At-Will)
Combat notes:-Commanding (Tactical) Presence: When ally who can see warlord spends an action point to make an attack, they gain +1 bonus on attack roll (1/2 Int modifier) and +3 bonus to damage from Tactical Assault feat[/sblock][/sblock]
OOC: Edited my actions per the DM and other advice to just keep running.

Last edited:

WEContact

First Post
OOC: [MENTION=211]Phoenix8008[/MENTION] If I were you I would save that Daily for a combat encounter. It's not really needed this point I think.

OOC: [MENTION=211]Phoenix8008[/MENTION]: As a DM, I wouldn't normally say this... but WEContact is right. This is not meant to be another battle, it is a chase scene. The hordes of monsters coming after you, in the numbers they're at, would pretty much make going toe-to-toe with them a suicide run. Ignatz was crazy enough to go after one of them, but that ended up with him being attacked by 6 more of the blighters (which I thought would be enough to steer the rest of you away from it...

If you want to revamp your turn, go ahead. Else, please tell me that you want to continue with your actions as posted and I'll update my notes.

Last edited:

Remove ads