• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure: Into the Wild

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Haruka grins her thanks towards Dante as she twists away from the tentacle, although it looks more frantic than friendly. "What do you think? Another one of Severius's minions, or just one of nature's hideous wonders that happened to be nearby?" she shouts to her companions. "Either way, it made a huge mistake attacking us."

Crackling black lightning bursts from her outstretched fingers and jumps the kraken and one of its nearby tentacles. The tentacle is blasted apart, and the creature twitches as the lightning continues to dance across its body. Haruka laughs, hops onto the ship's railing, and makes a quick swipe at the kraken. The beast knocks away her first blow with another tentacle, but is caught off guard when Haruka plunges her talons deep into its mass.

[sblock=actions]Free: Shroud the Kraken a second time.
Action Point: Using Max's benefit, Crackling Fire the 3x3 square bound by (F, 0) and (H, -2), invoking shrouds. Hits Kraken with a 28 vs Reflex for a total of 28 damage, misses tentacle with a 20. Grr, I totally forgot to say that the extra +3 to hit in my roll came from Action Surge. Sorry. The Kraken now suffers from 5 fire and lightning vulnerability (save ends). Rather than try to suss out how Bravura Action works with multi-target attacks, I'll use Heroic Effort to hit and kill the tentacle as well. Although, for future reference, how does that work?
Granted Attack: Soul Eater the Kraken. That's a miss.
Standard: BDotV the Kraken. That's a miss... or is it? I'll use Dark One's Own Luck to reroll the attack. This time I got a 26 vs Fort, so that's better. The Kraken takes 36 fire and necrotic damage (vuln already accounted for) and I get a +5 power bonus to my next damage roll against it.

If the Kraken (not a tentacle) hits me with a melee attack, I'll use Reflexive Hellfire to deal it 10 (or 15 rather) fire and necrotic damage.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Haruka's mini-stats] Haruka Sato human hexblade 8
Initiative: +6 | Passive perception: 13 | Passive Insight: 19
AC: 22 | For: 22 | Ref: 20 | Will: 23
HP: 65/65+4 | Bloodied: 32 | Surge value: 16 | Surges: 4/10
Speed: 6 | Languages: Allarian, Tsugo
AP: 0 | Second Wind: not used
Melee Basic Attack: +14 vs AC, 1d12+14 necrotic damage
Ranged Basic Attack: +13 vs Reflex, 1d10+14 force damage
Powers: Eldritch Bolt, Soul Eater
Blazing Doom of the Void (1/2), Reflexive Hellfire
Decree of Khirad, Crackling Fire
Heroic Effort, Assassin's Shroud (0/2), Shadow Step
Ethereal Stride, Lesser Planar Ally, Dark One's Own Luck
Ironscar Rod, Prison of Salzacas, Blackleaf Gloves

Conditions:

[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
Ashir smiles as Haruka's crackling bolt draws his attention to the kraken, the mage quickly concentrates on the planar knowledge that he recently uncovered thanks to his work with the warlock. A mechanized appears at the genasi's side, baring its metallic teeth at the tentacles. Continuing to defend himself first, Ashir draws some temporary power from his robes.

Ready after this, Ashir turns his attention to their foe, a wave of fire emits from the mage, washing over the kraken and curling a few of the tentacles near him. Seeing his allies beset by the tentacles, Ashir then unleashes a wave of flaming pixies that travel down the tentacles and right into the kraken's brain, leaving them useless.

[sblock=ooc]
Minor: Summon Iron Cohort in J2
Move: Stoneskin Robes - 5 THP
Standard: Enlarged Fire Shroud (affects E-M -2-6) - vs fort (kraken, tentacles @ G5, H0, K0, I5, K5) (1d20+12=26, 1d20+12=18, 1d20+12=20, 1d20+12=28, 1d20+12=32, 1d20+12=28) hits Kraken, tentacle at K0, I5 (crit) and K5 for fire damage (incl 5 vulnerability) (1d8+11+5=17) for 17 (min dmg :() + 5 ongoing fire (save ends)
AP: Enlarged Winged Horde centered on E5 - vs will (tentacles @ C4, E5, G5) (1d20+12=22, 1d20+12=23, 1d20+12=18) hits C4, & E5

Ok got rid of tentacles @ K0, I5, K5, C4, and E5.
[/sblock]

[sblock=L4W Ashir]
Init: +5 Speed: 6 Perception:14 Insight: 14
AC: 23 NAD:23/22/20
HP: 45/50+5thp Surges: 2/7 Surge Value: 11 AP: 0
Languages: Common, Primordial
Str:20 Dex:12 Wis:13 Con:12 Int:20 Cha:8

Opportunity Attack: +13 vs. AC, 1d8+6 damage (Crit 1d6+14)

Powers:
Cantrips
Arc Lightning
Winged Horde
Magic Missile
Grasping Shadows (Skewering Spikes)
Lightning Bolt (Corrosive Mist)
Fire Shroud (Colour Spray)
Promise of Storms
Shield (Mystical Debris)
Second Wind
Sustaining Cloak +2
Stoneskin Robes +2
Flaming Sphere (Arcane Whirlwind)
Summon Magma Beast (Stinking Cloud)
Summon Iron Cohort (Wizard's Escape)
Flaming Staff +1
Restful Bedroll

[/sblock]

FourMonos

First Post
[sblock=ooc] So I have no idea if I'm still grabbed or not. A grab ends when the grabber is subject to an effect that makes it incapable of taking actions. I would include death to be one such conditions (i.e. renau1g's favorite condition). A whole bunch of tentacles died, including ones that were near and reasonably grabbing Renquist (unfortunately tentacle location to grab targets weren't specified in conditions. not complaining, pbp is complicated). To speed things along, I'll assume he is free. If not, I'll edit the post. Just let me know. :) [/sblock]

Edited: Renquist tries twice to slay the tentacle with no luck.

[sblock=actions] Move:Stand.
Minor: Divine Challenge: Kraken
Standard: Charge using Ardent Strike (moving G2-G3-F1, I have a lot of trouble telling what is on the deck with all the tokens): 1d20+11+1, 1d8+5 → ([5, 11, 1], [7, 5]). Roll Lookup
AP: Valorous Smite: 1d20+11, 2d8+5 → ([10, 11], [5, 3, 5]). Roll Lookup . Whiff times two.
[/sblock]

[sblock=ministats]
Renquist, Revenant paladin of Lauto
Init: +3 Speed: 5 Perception:15 Insight: 20
AC: 24/23 (24 if not bloodied) NAD: F: 17 R:18 W:19
HP: 30/54 Surges: 7/12 Surge Value: 13 AP: 2 1
Languages: Allerian, Old Allerian
Str:13 Dex:12 Wis:16 Con:15 Int:8 Cha:18

Powers:
At-Will: Ardent Strike, Enfeebling Strike, Divine Challenge, Lay on Hands (2/3)
Encounter: Channel Divinity: Divine Mettle or Divine Strength, Second Wind, Valorous Smite, Dark Reaping, Call to Arms, Call of Challenge
Daily: Radiant Delirium, Hallowed Circle

Special: AC is 24 when not bloodied. Gains 3 DR TSNT if Renquist spends a healing surge. [/sblock]

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Don't overwrite my mark! It's much more dangerous then yours to a solo. Get the tentacles! And that goes for MetaVoid with that marking power. Don't do it unless rocco is incapable of attacking (1d6+9+4+3 is much more dangerous to it then your sanction. And SC mark is good if we go on the defensive so keep it!

Primera moves to stand protectively between the kraken and those engaging the beast.

[sblock=Actions]
Move: F0 square DOWN overboard toward the beast
Standard: Protecting Strike vs Will (kraken); psychic damage (1d20+8=14, 1d8+5=9) - miss

All adjacent allies get +1 NADs and using second wind while adjacent heals extra +4hp

[sblock=Interrupt]
Infectious Spark (Encounter Immediate Interrupt Melee spirit 1 ✦ Implement, Primal, Psychic, Spirit)
Target: Triggering enemy
Trigger: SC is hit a melee attack
Attack: +8 vs Will
Hit: 1d8+5 psychic damage and the target makes melee basic attack against the enemy of Nementah's choosing. SC dissapears and Nementah takes no damage from the dissapearance

[/sblock]

[/sblock]

FourMonos

First Post
OOC: No worries Neurotic, just overwrite the mark next turn. Besides, unless I get some lucky rolls, Renquist is only going to be good for one thing this fight: Kraken food. I figured trying to keep you standing would be better for the fight.

Neurotic

OOC: Yes, that is good idea, Renquist couldn't hit the broad side of the ship as it appears :p

Still, please don't mark before Rocco is bloodied, give me some time to hit it.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
GM: Rocco: The other tentacle was a valid target. The MBA missed.

Haruka: If use the AP to make an attack and hit at least one target you are good to get the benefit from Bravura. If you miss all you concede CA.

Renquist: You were still grabbed. As you can tell by the map, your nearby tentacle is quite alive. Same for Nementah.

Also, people, for the second time, THE KRAKEN HAS THREATENING REACH 3 AND HIS OA CAN GRAB! Your proposed actions, had you not been grabbed, would have required you to roll OA to see if you reached the kraken.

A Simple retcon is that you attacked the adjacent tentacle grabbing you instead, keeping the same roll instead, trying to kill to free yourself. Both miss.

Of course, there is not much point on using Valorous smite on a minion so I'll assume you used an at-will instead and still have acess to that power.

The Kraken spews a large quantity of viscous ink on the deck. It burns the skin and the beast takes advantage of it to push back Haruka. He then focus on the doughty dwarf. The warrior is slippery and holds his own for a moment but is eventually snatched bodily and tossed in the water.

Renquist and Nementah follow suit and are also dragged kicking and screaming toward the ocean's floor.

Dante is also snatched and might soon face a similar fate. Things are grim. Even wounded, the Kraken is a fiercesome beast.

GM: The Wavewrack power is not an attack (I specify it beacuse of some of your triggers. The zone is difficult terrain (Can't shift under most circumstances. Anyone who starts in the zone takes 5 dmg and can be slid two square.

I slid Haruka where I want her to go.

Original squares was E1 (Haruka). If somehow another PC can grant her a free move before her turn, start from the original position, not the current one. If anyone can be moved outside of the zone before their turn, it will also prevent the damage (noted in parenthesis, as per the usual convention).

Rocco is Drowning: He needs to make an endurance check 20 or lose and healing surge. DC will increase by 5 every round he remains underwater.

Renquist and Nementah are not yet drowning, they are on the surface. The lesser tentacle don't drag quite as far as the big ones.

[sblock=Actions]
Standard: Wavewrack
Create a Burst 3 obvious on the map.

AP: Coils of Doom
vs Rocco AC (1d20+15=18, 2d8+5=13)
vs Rocco AC (1d20+15=26, 2d8+5=15)

Minor:
Fatal Plunge
Fatal Plunge vs Rocco Fortitude (1d20+13=25, 1d8+5=9)

Rocco is slid 3 square overboard and into the water and is drowning

Move: Convert to minor
Venom bolt vs Haruka Fortitude (1d20+13=14, 2d8+4=13)

Lesser Tentacles
vs reflex 1:Haruka 2:Dante (1d20+12=13, 1d20+12=20), hit Dante

(PS; the one grabbing Dante started the turn on the other side of the boat and moved TPL).

The other two sustain and drag their victim's 2 square.

Kraken Save vs Crackling fire (1d20+5=16)
save vs Fire Shroud (1d20+5=9)
[/sblock]

[sblock=S&S]
Kraken: 250 (245)/432 quarry, Ongoing fire 5, 2 AP used

Ashir: 45+5/50 [2/7]
Haruka: 65+4 (64)/65 [4/10]
Dante: 38/47 [1/8] Grabbed 17
Max: 26 (21)/57 [3/8]
Rocco: 23/55 [7/12] Grabbed, Drowning
Nementah: 32 (28)/51 [6/11] (grabbed DC17)
Virgil: 53/62 [0/2]
Renquist: 22/54 [7/12] (grabbed DC17)

Kraken
HP 432; Bloodied 216
Passive Perception : 25
AC 24, Fortitude 26, Reflex 22, Will 22
Threatening Reach
The sea kraken can make opportunity attacks against all enemies within 3 squares of it.
OA Crushing Tentacles
Attack: Melee 3 (one creature); +15 vs. AC
Hit: 2d8 + 5 damage, and the kraken grabs the target. The kraken can grab up to eight creatures at one time.

Kraken lesser Tentacle
Minion
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
AC 23, Fortitude 21, Reflex 23, Will 19
OA Slam
Requirement: The tentacle must not have a creature grabbed.
Attack: Melee 4 (one creature); +12 vs. Reflex
Hit: 8 damage, and the tentacle grabs the target (escape DC 17).
[/sblock]

Attachments

• Kraken3.jpg
    Kraken3.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 228

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Dante severs the tentacle holding onto him and tries to help his companions in the water but has difficulty hitting the tentacles without hitting his friends.

He and Virgil turn back to the Kraken and Dante inflicts another minor wound.

[sblock=Actions]Standard: Twin Strike
*Attack 1 vs I5(Quarterdeck) Tentacle: 1d20+13=25 AC, hit, dead.
*Attack 2 vs G5(Main Deck) Tentacle: 1d20+13=21 AC, miss.
Move: Virgil shifts to H1. Dante shifts to H2.
Minor: Off-hand Strike vs Kraken: 1d20+13=28 AC, hit, 2d4+8=12+1d6(4)=16 damage.

[sblock=Statblocks]Dante, Male Human Ranger 6
Passive Perception:21, Passive Insight:16
AC:20, Fort:20, Reflex:19, Will:18 -- Speed:6
HP:38/47, Bloodied:23, Surge Value:12, Surges left:1/8
Initiative +6, Action Points:0
Powers: Twin Strike, Throw and Stab, Off-Hand Strike, Disruptive Strike, Heroic Effort, Invigorating Stride, Second Wind, Jaws of the Wolf, Spitting Cobra Stance, Healing Lore, Amulet of Resolution

Opportunity Attack: +13 vs. AC, 2d4+8 damage (Crit 2d6+16)
Notes: *Dante makes an OA on any enemy that makes a melee attack on Virgil as long as the enemy is within reach 2 of Dante or Virgil is adjacent to Dante. *Dante deals +1 damage when he has CA.

Virgil, Beast Companion(Lizard) 6
Passive Perception:14, Passive Insight:14
AC:21, Fort:18, Reflex:18, Will:16 -- Speed:6
HP:53/62, Bloodied:31, Surge Value:15(20), Surges left:0/2

MBA: +10 vs. AC(+12 OA), 1d8+3 damage
Note: *Virgil's OA uses Dante's Immediate Reaction.[/sblock][/sblock]

Neurotic

OOC: [MENTION=834]Mal Malenkirk[/MENTION], Rocco is a dwarf. You don't move dwarves as far as you like. Therefore I'd prefer to be slid over the wheel (and maybe not at all in the water. Or at least adjacent to the beast. Is he still in the water? Even with slide 2?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads