Adventure: Lord Byron's Lost Silver (DM: Tenchuu, Judge: H.M.Gimlord)

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=Judge]You are right. The rules are not clear. The PHB quote is: "You can take only one OA during another combatant's turn, but you can take any number during a round."
That being said, WOTC posted a ruling for 3.5E that reads, "An attack of opportunity is something a creature does during another creature's turn." Since the 4E PHB can be construed to read that way, and it's consistent with the 3.5E ruling, I'm going to side with John here.[/sblock]
[sblock=Got it. But...]
Makes sense. But this scenario adds one more wrinkle. I think it makes more sense if I present the sequence of actions:

Bonecrusher moves adjacent to Wil and attacks.
Wil uses an interrupt to shift 1. he is now adjacent to both Bonecrusher and Demon King's Wand (DKW), and uses a ranged basic attack as part of the interrupt.

Does this action provoke an OA from DKW (since it's currently not his turn?) OR are interrupts by nature immune to provoking OA (which seems counter intuitive to me, but a rule is a rule).
[/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=John/Triggers]
Chord of Dissonance: Triggered for Kruk, negating 10 damage.

Virtue of Prescience: This could have triggered for Kane, but since the attack did no damage, I assumed you would want to wait.
[/sblock]

As Kruk approached the Bonecrusher, it swung with it's great club, but the dwarf took only a glancing blow.

Hergunna snapped out her hand, and sharp vine lashed at the bloodied magician's neck. It clutched at the bleeding artery for a moment before falling to the ground.

"AWAY!" The demon statue boomed once more, targeting the barbarian with its anger. The psychic wave pushed Kane, who went stumbling forward through the game. "COME AND KILL THE INTRUDER!"

"No! NO!" the remaining bonecrusher yelled, dismayed at the demise of his counterpart. It swung wildly, like an angry child, and Kruk easily blocked the attack with his shield.

The ghostly undead Skelmur drifted over to Hergunna. It stared into her eyes, sending a wave of pain which locked her legs in place. Even so, as it reached out with a necrotic hand to grab her, Hergunna twisted her body away and parried the attack with her totem.

As Hergunna stood there, warding back the undead, she felt something grab her shoulders and then bite down hard on neck. She screamed as a savage beast appeared behind her, its teeth deep into her neck.

Charina watched with shock as the creature appeared, as if out of thin air, with its upper torso covered with Hergunna's blood. It let out a blood curdling howl, with the druid's vitae dripping from it's maw.

The Wizard atop the wall took aim at Kruk with it's mind, delivering a hammering blow which echoed in the dwarf's ears.

Kruk was about to turn back and rejoin the fight when two more enemies exited the second portal: a human and a demon.

The human Doomdreamer stepped up first, firing an icy bolt at Kane. The blast froze his feet to the ground. The Bloodseep demon moved up, taking a defensive position in front of the human.

[sblock=Wil, Charina, Hergunna, Kruk, Carolina]
You are -2 Wil Defenses, thanks to Mr. Wendigo, who is currently visible.
[/sblock][sblock=Mechanics]
Bonecrusher Skeleton OA vs Kruk
Trigger: Threatening Reach + Leave adjacent square
Attack: 1d20+13=31
Damage: 1d10+5=6

Hergunna
Standard: Thorn Whip vs DKW-G16
Attack: 1d20+9=16
Damage: 1d8+6=6
Effect: Dead

Trap Attack
Standard: Blast 5 +10 vs Will
Attack Kane: 1d20+10=14 Hit (-2 Will Defenses from Unknown Enemy Aura)
Effect: Push Kane 4 to D17

Bonecrusher Skeleton: I17:J18
Recharge: 1d6=3 Nope.
Move: N/A
Standard: Great Club vs Kruk (AC)
Attack: 1d20+13=15 Miss
Damage: 1d10+5=0

Skelmur the Stalker
Move: to N11
Minor: Skelmur's Eyes vs Hergunna (Will)
Attack: 1d20+12=31 Hit
Damage: 1d6+3=5 psychic damage
Effect: Hergunna is immobilized TENT-Skelmur.
Standard: Spirit Touch vs Hergunna (Ref)
Attack: 1d20+12=17
Damage: 2d4+3=0

Wendigo Manhunter
Move: to P13
Standard: 1d20+13=32 (+2 CA)=34
Damage: 4d6+6=23
Effect: Healing N/A

Demon King's Wand
Move: to E20
Standard: Mind Razor vs Kruk (Will)
Attack: 1d20+11=20
Damage: 2d8+4=11 psychic damage
Immediate Interupt: Chord of Dissonance
Effect: Negates 10 damage.

Doomdreamer
Move: to A15
Standard: Chilling Ray vs Kane (Reflex)
Attack: 1d20+12=23
Damage: 1d6+7=11 cold damage
Effect: target is immobilized until the end of the doomdreamer’s next turn.

Bloodseep Demon
Move to: B16
Standard: Total Defense

[/sblock][sblock=Status]
Wil Rando: G15 50/50 HS 8/10 AP 1 MW 1/2, -2 will defense, +1 AC/Ref-Shift-TENT,
Hergunna: O12 19/56 HS 9/9 AP 1, Bloodied, -2 will defense, immobilized TENT-Skelmur
Kane: D17 54/65 THP 0/5 HS 8/11 AP 0, immobilized TENT-Doomdreamer
Kruk: G20 60/67 THP 0/9 HS 10/12 AP 0, -2 will defense,
Carolina: F14 43/49 HS 4/7 AP 0, -2 will defense
Charina: R12 44/44 HS 7/7 AP 1, -2 will defense

Enemies:
Demon Face Statue: M16:N17 21/21
Bonecrusher Skeleton: G18:H19 15/80, Bloodied,
Skelmur the Stalker: N11 84/99
Demon King's Wand: E20 52/52, +2 Cover from Gate Wall
Wendigo Manhunter: P13 70/70
Bloodseep Demon: B16 79/79, Total Defense
Doomdreamer: A15 87/87

???
Demon King's Wand: G16 0/52, Dying
Bonecrusher Skeleton: M12:N13 -1/80, Dead
[/sblock][sblock=map]
Byron3-3-3.png

[/sblock][sblock=Enemy Triggers]
Bonecrusher Skeleton
- Threatening Reach: OAs within 2 squares

Demon King's Wand:
- Trigger: first time it is bloodied
- Effect: turns invisible
[/sblock][sblock=Enemies]
Demon Face Statue
Trap
Statue Attack
Standard Action Close blast 5
Target: Each enemy in blast
Attack: +10 vs. Will
Hit: The statue pushes the target 4 squares. If the target ends this movement next to an ally of the demon face statue, that ally can make a melee basic attack against the target as an opportunity action.
Special: The trap treats all nondemons that are not part of the statue’s demon cult as enemies. It treats all members of the cult and their allies as its allies.
Countermeasures
-Stealth DC 17: By making a Stealth check, a character can move within 5 squares of the statue without activating it or alerting the creature linked to it.
-Thievery DC 17: A character adjacent to the statue can make a Thievery check (as a standard action) to disable the trap until the start of the character’s next turn. Three successful Thievery checks destroy the trap.
-A character can attack the statue (AC 22, Reflex 22, Fortitude 21, 21 hit points). Doing so activates the trap (as above). Destroying the statue ends its threat.

Bonecrusher Skeleton
Large shadow animate (undead)
Level 7 Soldier
HP 80; Bloodied 40
AC 22; Fortitude 21, Reflex 21, Will 19
Immune disease, poison; Resist 10 necrotic; Vulnerable 5 radiant
Speed 8
Greatclub (standard, at-will) Weapon
Reach 2; +13 vs AC; 1d10+5 damage.
Crushing Blow (standard, recharge 6)
Reach 2; +13 vs AC; 2d10+5 and the target is pushed 1 square and knocked prone.
Threatening Reach (!!!)
The bonecrusher skeleton can make opportunity attacks against all enemies within its reach (2 squares).
Equipment: greatclub

Skelmur the Stalker
Medium natural humanoid (undead)
HP 99; Bloodied 49
AC 22; Fortitude 19, Reflex 20, Will 21
Immune disease, poison; Resist insubstantial
Saving Throws +2
Speed fly 6 (hover); phasing
Action Points 1
Spirit Touch (standard, at-will) Necrotic
+12 vs Reflex; 2d4+3 necrotic damage.
Skelmur's Eyes (minor 1/round, at-will) Fear, Gaze, Psychic
Ranged 5; +12 vs Will; 1d6+3 psychic damage, and the target is immobilized until the end of Skelmur's next turn. This attack doesn't provoke opportunity attacks.
Drowning Hands (standard; requires combat advantage; sustain minor, recharges after skelmur uses dematerialize) Necrotic
+12 vs Fortitude; 2d10+5 damage, ongoing 5 damage (save ends), and the target is dazed until the end of Skelmur’s next turn. Sustain Minor: Skelmur can only sustain the effect on a target he hit with the above attack or following attack during his last turn. When he sustains the power, he repeats the attack on the target, dealing 5 damage (10 to an immobilized target).
Dematerialize (standard; at-will)
Skelmur reduces himself to a set of floating eyes, and he shifts 2 squares. He can make a Stealth check to hide if he has any sort of cover or concealment.

Demon King’s Wand
Medium natural humanoid
HP 52; Bloodied 26
AC 18; Fortitude 15, Reflex 20, Will 19
Speed 5
Short Sword (standard, at-will) Weapon
+13 vs AC; 1d6+4 damage.
Mind Razor (standard, at-will) Implement, Psychic
Ranged 10; +11 vs Will; 2d8+4 psychic damage.
Bedeviling Bolts (standard, at-will) Illusion, Implement
Ranged 10; +11 vs Will; 1d10+5 damage, and the Wand slides the target 1 square.
Scintillating Pattern (standard, recharge 6)
Area burst 2 within 10; targets enemies; +9 vs Will; 3d8+4 damage, and the target is dazed (save ends).
Fade Away (immediate reaction, when the king's wand takes damage; encounter) Illusion
The King’s Wand turns invisible until after it hits or misses with an attack or until the end of its next turn.
Equipment: surcoat, short sword , wand implement.

Wendigo Manhunter
HP 70; Bloodied 35 Initiative +13
AC 22, Fortitude 20, Reflex 22, Will 18 Perception +13
Speed 8 Low-light vision
Scent of Fear (Fear) Aura 10
Enemies within the aura take a -2 penalty to Will.
Beyond Sight
Whenever the manhunter ends its turn 5 or more squares from an enemy, it is invisible to that enemy until the end of the manhunter’s next turn.
Standard Claw At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +13 vs. AC
Hit: 3d6 + 4 damage.
Effect: The manhunter shifts 2 squares.
Standard Wendigo Bite (Healing) At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature that cannot see the manhunter); +13 vs. AC
Hit: 4d6 + 6 damage, and the manhunter regains hit points equal to half the damage dealt.
Triggered Variable Resistance 2/Encounter
Trigger: The manhunter takes acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage.
Effect (Free Action): The manhunter gains resist 5 to the triggering damage type until the end of the encounter or until it uses variable resistance again.
Skills Endurance +12, Stealth +14

Bloodseep Demon
Medium elemental magical beast (demon)
Initiative +9 Senses Perception +8; darkvision
Weeping Poison (Healing, Poison) aura 2; each enemy that starts its turn within the aura takes 5 poison damage. While the Bloodseep Demon is bloodied, any demon that starts its turn within the aura regains 5 hit points.
HP 79; Bloodied 39
AC 21; Fortitude 18, Reflex 20, Will 19
Resist 10 variable (1/encounter)
Speed 7, teleport 3
Claw (standard, at-will) Poison
+12 vs AC; 2d4+5 damage, and ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends).
Poison Portal Strike (standard, recharge 4,5,6) Teleportation
The bloodseep demon teleports 5 squares and makes a claw attack. If the attack hits, the bloodseep demon teleports 5 squares.
Poison Blast (minor, encounter) Healing, Poison
Close blast 5; targets enemies; +10 vs Fortitude; 1d4+5 poison damage. Effect: Each demon in the blast regains 1d4+5 hit points.

Doomdreamer
Medium natural humanoid, human
Blessing of the Elemental Eye aura 2; elemental and demon allies within the aura gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls.
HP 87; Bloodied 43
AC 22; Fortitude 18, Reflex 20, Will 21
Speed 6
Mace (standard, at-will) Weapon
+13 vs AC; 1d8+7 damage.
Chilling Ray (standard, at-will) Cold
Ranged 5; +12 vs Reflex; 1d8+7 cold damage, and the target is immobilized until the end of the doomdreamer’s next turn.
Touch of Insanity (standard, recharge ) Psychic
+12 vs Will; 1d6+7 psychic damage, and the target must move at least 1 square during its turn or take 10 psychic damage at the end of its turn (save ends).
Maddening Howl (standard, encounter)
Close burst 5; targets enemies; +12 vs Will; 2d8+7 thunder damage, and the target is dazed until the end of the doomdreamer’s next turn.
Equipment: purple robes of Tharzidun, holy symbol of Elder Elemental Eye, mace.
[/sblock][sblock=Adventure Summary]
Motives
Kruk: Find his friend Greggor
Charina: Use the group to collect more bounties (ears)
Everyone Else: Locating the missing Silver shipment for Lord Byron

Summary of Events
1. Bested Pirates en route to Allaria. Traveled on the ship Wind's Will captained by Captain Levenbrech, and mated by Porse and Trig.
2. Arrived in the port, to find it besieged by Lizards from the unending mire. Defeated lizards and met/teamed up with Charina.
3. Journeyed to Geardagas and asked the locals for information with mixed results (link to the leads gathered).
4. Went to the temple of Netari, where the new priest, Father Niris, has been tending to the ill (apparently quite poorly). He led the players into the catacombs, where his zombie minions ambushed. The priest, over confident, rambled on about Hellview (background reference for players).
5. Dealing a mortal blow to the Priest, he says Master De Luccia (First time they have heard the name) cannot be stopped, and he stated that Greggor "will be... among the first... at Hellview." The priest laid dying on the floor with his fallen minions.
6. As they approach Hellview, they encounter the ghost of Sir Alistair Glasston, who begged them to enter the cave and retrieve his lost battleaxe.
7. They entered Hellview, and came across a portal, as well as some guards/workers. It seems they were using zombies to dig a new path near the portal...
8. They step through the portal into a bizarre world. A demon statue looms ahead, with a tall gate behind. The bodies of fallen adventurers, as well as a dead demon, lay about the floor. Wil Triggered the Demon statue trap, alerting the nearby demon's.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=Got it. But...]
Makes sense. But this scenario adds one more wrinkle. I think it makes more sense if I present the sequence of actions:

Bonecrusher moves adjacent to Wil and attacks.
Wil uses an interrupt to shift 1. he is now adjacent to both Bonecrusher and Demon King's Wand (DKW), and uses a ranged basic attack as part of the interrupt.

Does this action provoke an OA from DKW (since it's currently not his turn?) OR are interrupts by nature immune to provoking OA (which seems counter intuitive to me, but a rule is a rule).
[/sblock]
[sblock=Dang!]That's what I get for not paying attention. I was speaking of the Bonecrusher. Yes, the DKW get's an OA (it's not the DKW's turn). The Bonecrusher, however, does not.

The idea is that if you're in the middle of an action, you can't exactly interrupt yourself to respond to an interrupt, but if you're a bystander, you can certainly take advantage of a distraction.

As retribution for my sluggish thinking and response, go ahead and let the moves stand as posted. Tenchuu has the moral victory, but John is the beneficiary :)p on me).

Sorry to be so slow about this.[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
As the searing ringing noise subsides from Kruk's mind, he counters the large skeleton's attack with one of his own, connecting with a sickening thud of metal breaking bone. The blow is too much for the foe as it collapses into a large pile of bones on the ground. ha HAAAA! Now that you're out of the way, let's take a look at that axe shall we...i've...i've never seen anything like it. Kruk says as if drawn to the weapon. Ignoring the trap, he races forward, drops his axe and grabs the other one, pulling with all of his might to dislodge it from the corpse.

[sblock=actions]
attack: brash attack: 1d20+14 vs skeleton AC: 22 for 18
movement: move to i16
free: drop battleaxe
minor: yank axe from body...if allowed of course :)
[/sblock]

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Charina is startled by the apparition of the Wendigo and her shot is wide. She cursed violently and then invokes her drow curse. A cloud of darkness falls on her position and hides her movements. A new bolt flies from the darkness and hits the Wendigo on his skulls. It bounces of the thick beast but still causes plenty of damage and blood flows freely in his eyes.

-''It's blinded. Carolina, take him!''

OOC: The Wendigo currently concedes CA so it's a nice moment for the other rogue to throw something at him.

[sblock=Actions]
Standard:
Go for the eyes vs AC (Wendigo) (1d20+14+2=20, 2d10+9+2d8=30)

That's a miss, that was my daily but if I use it while hidden and miss, it is not expanded.

Minor: Reload

Move: Cloud of Darkness

Now the Wendigo doesn't see my anymore.

AP:
Go for the eyes vs Wendigo (1d20+14+2=32, 2d10+9+2d8=20)

Hit! But for 10 less damage than the previous roll. *sigh* can't get everything.

Effect: Wendigo is blinded and can't shift until the end of my next turn

After Effect: Everytime I hit the Wendigo, he gets -2 to attack rolls and can't shift until the end of my next turn.
[/sblock]

industrygothica

Adventurer
The halfling's dagger finds the blinded creature, causing yet another wound to relieve it of its life-blood.

[sblock=Actions]Sly Flourish vs. Wendingo (or whatever it is) hits AC 23 for 22 damage
Roll Lookup[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
OOC: I am back! Thanks for NPCing me Tenchuu - and for rolling a hit. ;)

I can't see the map, is the link broken? But it appears from coordinates that Hergunna is next to the blinded Wendigo thing, and she is immobilized anyhow, so I'll go ahead and attack it.

Hergunna screeches at the vicious assault. As her companions strike back at the thing that hurt her, she studies its defensive moves closely, then shifts into wolf shape and lunges as best she can while her mobility is still hampered, but it is not good enough.

OOC: Now would be good to heal Hergunna if possible (she heals more in beast form).

[sblock=Actions]Minor: Hunter's Quarry on wendigo<a href="http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2739023/">Savage Rend (CA, HQ) vs Wendigo (1d20+9+2=14, 1d8+5+1d10+1d6=14)</a>
Minor: Wild Shape to beast form
Standard: Savage Rend (CA, HQ) vs Wendigo (1d20+9+2=14, 1d8+5+1d10+1d6=14) Dang.[/sblock]
[sblock=Hergunna stat block]Hergunna- Female Human Druid 6
Beast Form
Passive Perception: 22, Passive Insight: 22
AC:20, Fort:18, Reflex:20, Will:21 -- Speed:7
HP:19/56, Bloodied:28, Surge Value:14 (16 in beast form), Surges left:9/9
Initiative +5
Action Points: 0, Daily Item Uses: 1, Second Wind: Not Used
Powers:
Thorn Whip, Call of the Beast, Chill Wind, Savage Rend, Wild Shape
Thorn Spray, Resist Energy, Predator's Flurry, Camouflage Cloak Hunter's Quarry
Summon Pack Wolf, Primal Spider
Surfsurge Shoes, Death Fang Totem, Enduring Beast Hide Armor, Bracers of Respite, Surfsurge Shoes
[/sblock]

Last edited:

johnmeier1

Explorer
Wil moves quickly to get closer to his wounded ally. Hold on Hergunna, we will all come to your aid. The bard intones and he draws back and arrow and lets it fly. The shot strikes the creature in the back of its head, setting it spinning around blindly.

[sblock=OOC] Even Rhyme can't help Hergunna hit, sorry :)
Move: Walk to J12
Minor: Majestic Word on Hergunna heals HS+7 and slide her 1 out of flank
Standard: Jinx Shot on the Wendigo 1d20+12+20=32 (vs AC) for 1d10+8=18 damage
[/sblock]

[sblock=ministats]
Virtue of Prescience Trigger - Immediate Interrupt to the First Ally hit by 1 or less with an attack
Rhyme of the Blood Seeking Blade Trigger - Immediate Interrupt to the First Ally that misses in melee by 6 or less
Init: +5 Speed: 5 Perception:20 Insight: 18
AC: 20 F/R/W:15/17/20
HP: 36/50 Surges: 7/8 Surge Value: 10 AP: 1
Languages: Allarian, Imperia, Draconic
Str:8 Dex:14 Wis:14 Con:13 Int:10 Cha:21

Powers:
At Will - Jinx Shot, Cutting Words
Encounter - Second Wind[/s], Fox's Cunning, Twin Strike[/s], Grappling Spirits, Hunter's Quarry[/s], Majestic Word (2/2), Words of Friendship, Moment of Escape, Chord of Dissonance, Rhyme of the Blood-Seeking Blade[/s], Virtue of Prescience[/s]
Daily - Arrow of Ill Omen[/s], Arrow of Warning, Bracers of Archery[/s], Inevitable Shot[/s], Songbow of Vanishment[/s]
[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
Kane takes a moment to catch his breath.

[sblock=ooc]
*Start of turn - take 5 damage from the demon's Aura

Minor:
Move:
Standard: Second Wind - regain 16hp and +2 defenses TSNT

Total:

[/sblock]

[sblock=ministats]Kane Male Bugbear Barbarian 7
Initiative: +10, Passive Perception: 13, Passive Insight: 13, Senses: Low-light
AC:22, Fort:21, Reflex:20, Will:16
HP:65/65, Bloodied:32, Surge Value:16, Surges left:8/11
Action Points: 0
Powers:
Howl of Fury
Whirling Rend

Furious Assault
Hunter's Quarry
Whirling Lunge
Whirling Frenzy
Whirling Step
Slash and Slash Again
Shrug it Off
Demoralize Foe
Second Wind

Swift Panther Rage
Rage of the Crimson Hurricane
Vanguard Weapon
Vagabond's Die
Raven Cloak +2

Important Stuff:
+1d8 damage when charging. Cool stuff happens when he bloodies or kills a bad guy

Conditions:

Full sheet: PC:Kane - L4W Wiki [/sblock]

Remove ads