[Adventure] Lost Love (DM: Velmont - Judge: Renau1g)

LadyLaw

First Post
Talkrai practically gawks at the building as they walk through it. Even though it is obvious that some of it is in better repair than others, she's never seen anything like this and thinks it must be like a palace. When they enter the dining room she sits very carefully, as if she's afraid she may break or otherwise damage the chair she's sitting on.

She is confused by Jasper's leaving to change clothes, but brushes past it without much concern when the food arrives close upon his exit. Although no one else seems to be concerned with the food, she dives right in. She helps herself to some salad and fruit, then slices herself a piece of the boar. She eats quickly, but not messily. In fact, she manages to stay surprisingly clean. It's apparent she is accustomed to having only short time for meals.

"It's really quite good," she says between mouthfuls. "You guys should try some. If this doesn't go as quickly as we'd like, you're libel to get hungry."

Antithetist

First Post
Jarren looks around with interest at the imposing interior of the mansion, but seems little taken with it. He looks rather uncomfortable as the servants load the table with food, and altogether seems out of his element in a way that none of his allies have ever seen him before.

Still, he tucks into the boar heartily enough, knowing that what Talkrai says is true.

Son of Meepo

First Post
Priam had been so entranced by the very idea that he was finally going on a real adventure. Not a job for his house, not a war, a simple task for a stranger in need. A stranger with money.

[sblock=ooc]Priam purchased a Comprehend Language ritual and 30 gp worth of Arcane ritual components. He contemplated a knock ritual, but decided both rituals would eat into their advance far too much. He wasn't even certain that it would defeat what lay ahead of them.

Spent 80 gp[/sblock]

The manor didn't faze him in the slightest, he was used to strange dwellings. He thought nothing of his employers request for some time away.

Priam began to pick at the food, eating a bit of everything, but not with the fervor of some of his allies.

"Well, some coin, a meal, and some drink, and we haven't even begun. This is working out pretty well so far, wouldn't you say?"

Priam does not share any of his comrades' concerns over the eccentricities of the rich.

"He seems driven, but not a bad guy at all. I'm curious to examine the history of this place first hand."

Velmont

First Post
Jasper comes back. He has replaced his traveling outfit by a hunting clothing, a mix of study clothes with a simple but delicate decoration made of silver silk. The silk is slightly damaged, as it seems it isn't the first time he wear this clothes.

He sits down at the table with the group and serves himself. "We will have some ration too, the cook is making them at the moment and they will be pack on the horses. We should have enough for a whole day, but I hope we could come back before night fall. It is two hour rides. Going and coming back should take four hours, that would leave around 3 or 4 hours to do the inspection. But in case we need to spend the night there, we will have some gear to do so."

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=money]Meepo: seriously, just go ahead and get the ritual. For one, we're out in the middle of the woods - no reason to save any money, since there's no way we can purchase anything! For two, as I said I'm a big believer in the idea that rituals aren't personal treasure, they're party treasure. And who knows, it might come in useful! Knock yourself out. (Damn. Pun.)[/sblock]
Unit 16 looks around more carefully at his surroundings while the others eat. "Anything else you can tell us of this young lady who may be a ghost?" he asks the host.

[sblock=ooc]Specifically, 16 would like to look at the older parts of the manor for any clues as to who this young lady might have been or any part of her story. It stands to reason that since she lived there, there should be some trace of her, right? Maybe a tapestry or wall painting or whatever... Something that might clue us in to a potential ghost's yearnings.

Also, does the repair work on the house look like it's just restoration work, or are they repairing it from something more catastrophic, like a fire or some other major thing?[/sblock]

Son of Meepo

First Post
[sblock=Knock ritual]If people feel strongly about it, I will spend the entire advance on rituals and components, but Knock is going to eat a minimum of 210 gp (175 ritual cost + 35 components), add in 60 for Comprehend Languages (50 ritual + 10 components) and that leaves us with 30 gp, not enough for a second casting of knock. (I do have 5 gp of personal funds that I could add to make a second casting possible.)

But knock is anything but guaranteed to work. It allows you to make Arcana +5 checks in place of Thievery checks for locking mechanisms you can see, and Arcana DC 20 checks for ones you can't.

With a +9 Arcana that's not assured to succeed. I just wasn't sure the cost was worth it in light of the chance of success. Plus if a lock cannot be opened with Thievery, it probably can't be opened with Knock. [/sblock]

twilsemail

First Post
[sblock=Rituals]Seconded. It's better to have bought the ritual and not need it than to discover later that we need it and don't have it. Being the ritual caster for the party mostly just means you're carrying them around for everyone. If Pis can't pick the lock and Priam can't solve the lock, we'll have a back up plan.[/sblock]

Pis eats lightly at first. It almost appears he's finished when Jasper arrives. As their host digs in to the meal, Pis apparently finds a seconds tomach and eats a hearty second meal. If anyone is, for some reason, tracking what he eats they will notice that he's only eating what Jasper is eating.

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=boring story]I love that we have spontaneously invented this side-plot of us thinking the host is trying to kill us! :) It reminds me of a game I played once where the DM sort of accidentally over-described this particular locket that belonged to someone. Some of our players misheard, and began down this long chain of assumptions that led them to believe it somehow transported its owner through time and was somehow crucially important to the plot, and on and on, and the DM either wasn't paying close attention or didn't really correct them firmly enough. In the end, we spent maybe 30 mins or an hour on a complete throw-away item. We decided later to call that game: the locket campaign. :)[/sblock]

Antithetist

First Post
At Unit 16's question, Jarren turns to regard Jasper as well. For a moment his eyes flicker, and his slight discomfort in the surroundings immediately fades away to be replaced by his usual still poise. He waits, listening intently and regarding Jasper as one might gaze into the reflections and depths in the surface of a pool of water.

[sblock=OOC]Insight Check to feel out whether Jasper is entirely sincere in his response to questions about the haunting, whether he's hiding anything, whether he has heard rumours that he chooses not to repeat, whether he might be under influences on his mood or thoughts which he doesn't himself recognise as coming from that source - etc. :)

Using Speak with Spirits for +5 bonus. 1d20+17=32[/sblock]

[sblock=Knock]Dude, you're getting a free ritual for your book out of party funds. Just do it. :p[/sblock]

Son of Meepo

First Post
[sblock=rituals]All right then. Unless there are any objections I will buy the Comprehend Language ritual, the Knock ritual, and 80 gp of components (residuum if available, alchemical reagents if not). That will exhaust our 300 gp advance and I will be spending 5 gp of personal funds.[/sblock]

[sblock=Velmont]Wishlist updated[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads