DDAL Adventurers League Epics?

Mercador

Adventurer
Hello! I guess I'll use all my credits for posting twice :D I have the chance to participate to an Adventurers League Epic at the end of the month. However, I never played Adventurers League before. I do know TTRPGs a lot, just never played an AL module before. Could it be a good experience or it's too chaotic for a newbie? Thanks!

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
They are awesome and the only AL games I will play in. I've done one at a convention and one that was run as a charity event. Both were great. Depends on the team running them, but I've had good look luck both times.

Just join with a new character. They'll have tables for all tiers. Even if you've never played D&D or a TTRPG you can join a low-tier table and have no problems.

Nutation

Explorer
It would be advantageous to play a AL game on some weekend before then, both to learn the campaign rules (or idioms) and to learn your character. Epics are intense, sometimes chaotic, and under real-world time pressure. You want to be able to concentrate on what's happening, rather than on the rules for consumables or what spells you are preparing. Epics are also awesome, as just said. AL brings in new players all the time, so jump in.

darjr

I crit!
AL rules allow 5th level pregens as starter characters. Note depending upon your area and players the tier 2 tables could be highly optimized too.

I think it’ll still be worth it. I sometimes run high level AL just to marvel at the characters people bring.

My personal preference these days is for standard AL adventures over Epics. I do find Epic's to be a little too chaotic, to have a little too much pressure. I do not enjoy the feeling when you're still going through an encounter and you know in 10 minutes you're just going to get fast-forwarded to the next one, regardless of whether you've finish it or not.

Don't get me wrong, I have had some great experiences at Epics. The Princes of the Apocalypse- and Tomb of Annihilation-themed ones spring to mind.

Mercador

Adventurer
It would be advantageous to play a AL game on some weekend before then, both to learn the campaign rules (or idioms) and to learn your character. Epics are intense, sometimes chaotic, and under real-world time pressure. You want to be able to concentrate on what's happening, rather than on the rules for consumables or what spells you are preparing. Epics are also awesome, as just said. AL brings in new players all the time, so jump in.
I should probably create a character without too much rules. Paladin and Ranger are my favorites. There's already a rogue and a fighter/cleric at the table.

Mercador

Adventurer
The Epic is DDEP3 Blood Above, Blood Below, there's two Tier 1 tables and three Tier 2 tables. I'll start a new character, just haven't decided which yet. I never played in Adventurers League, but I've played DnD5 and several others TTRPGs.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The Epic is DDEP3 Blood Above, Blood Below, there's two Tier 1 tables and three Tier 2 tables. I'll start a new character, just haven't decided which yet. I never played in Adventurers League, but I've played DnD5 and several others TTRPGs.
It's designed by Will Doyle - one of the great designers, and he really knows how to write Epics. Hope you have a lovely time!

Cheers,
Merric

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Good advice. But both epics I went to had tier one tables with pregens. If you get a 1st level pregen with a character class you are familiar with, you'll be fine. If you are new to D&D chose a fighter. While reading the AL rules and attending a normal AL session will help (and maybe allow you to bring a higher level character to the Epic), if you don't have the time, I wouldn't let that deter you.

Remove ads