D&D 5E After 2 years the 5E PHB remains one of the best selling books on Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Agreed, and that's a bad thing. If your post brings nothing new, and is otherwise objectionable to people, it's probably not a post to be proud of making.

Acting like I didn't understand your point and that you needed to explain it to me again, as opposed to actually considering my response, makes it worse.

I get it. I fully and completely understand where you're coming from. Now, take a moment and consider someone else's views. How about we not talk about politics on a board where politics as a topic is banned expliciting in the board rules, and where people have objected for good sound reasons to the ongoing mention of politics in what was otherwise a fairly "happy" thread?
Everyone but you seems to be getting along fine, in spite of differing opinions.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Everyone but you seems to be getting along fine, in spite of differing opinions.

About 5 people have brought up the issue in this thread, I am just doing it directly to you. I guess I will take this to private messages from here on out.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
About 5 people have brought up the issue in this thread, I am just doing it directly to you. I guess I will take this to private messages from here on out.

I, for one, am here to talk about pretending to be an Elf Wizard, not indulge in virtue signaling; don't really appreciate the well being poisoned with all the political grandstanding.

In other news, the other 5E books continue to kill it on Amazon, not just the core.

seebs

Adventurer
The plural of anecdote is not data.

But "anecdata" is a useful concept.

You (or people you know) may have found the paragraph welcoming and allowed them to pursue the hobby because of it. The counterpoint is that the game wasn't non-inclusive before that point either, because there were non-CIS players and characters who played before that paragraph saw print. Your example does not cancel out mine and vice-versa. It would take a lot of market research and evidence to suggest to me that the paragraph had a sizable influence on the gaming community and its acceptance (and such evidence would have to be causational, not merely corollary from larger acceptance of LGTBQ in society) for me to think that single paragraph was "a game changer."

Obviously the game wasn't inherently and always non-inclusive previously, or I wouldn't have been around to have this conversation.

My point is, there exist people who are reporting that they experienced the paragraph as affecting them or their environment significantly. Therefore, it had an impact. I'm not trying to make a claim that the impact was global, just that it was significant to some people.

PARABLE TIME!

So there was a little girl wandering along a beach at low tide, throwing starfish back in the ocean. And an old man told her that there are thousands of starfish, and she can't get to them all, and they'll just get stranded again, so it doesn't make a difference. So she threw another starfish back in and said "well, it made a difference to that one."

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
My point is, there exist people who are reporting that they experienced the paragraph as affecting them or their environment significantly. Therefore, it had an impact. I'm not trying to make a claim that the impact was global, just that it was significant to some people.

I have heard it suggested that first we decide something and then we look for a reason to justify why we have decided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases