After Waterdeep what should be the next FR adventure?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Thinking about it deeper, the female cleric has to be a drow cleric of Eilistraee in Skullport and Undermountain, because each Endless Quest ties into an AP except CoS because that occurs in Ravenloft and they might not be allowed to use Ravenloft for the way Endless Quest books.

So 4 remaining APs (Tavern of the Yawning Portal is a collection of adventures not an AP so it doesn't count), all of which has a connected Endless Quesr Book including the current AP, Waterdeep: Dragon Heist.

And what is the next AP, we already know it, it's Waterdeep: Dungeon of a Mad Mage, which is set in Undermountain, where Skullport dwells, and which has been and likely be again the location of Eilistraee's main temple, and Eilistraee in some last editions (but not others) has shown a preference for female priestesses. This explains why the location was so important and why the gender of the cleric mattered and tied into the location.

Which means the Swashbuckler will be for the AP afterwards, Swashbucklers suggest pirates, or at the very least Naval, likely to be released in the Summer, late spring at the earliest. And we have no less then 4 story lines occurring on the swordcoast, too many for the Swordcoast to be likely,
only 2 APs occur else where, CoS in Ravenloft, Barovaria, and Tome of Annilitation in Chult, neither of which we are likely to revisit.

That leaves the coastline of the Shining Sea, which has never been a major FR region or amount the most popular, an Eberron Campaign, unlikely it's too soon and the play testing is still going on, Ravnica doesn't have the open seas, and Ravnica and Eberron aren't on Faerun and I don't think they want to leave FR for the Endless Quests books right now.

That leaves the Sea of Fallen Stars ladies and gentlemen by the process of elimination. The location I think most of us wanted for the style of campaign we wanted that offered a new and fresh type of story. Which means if the next Endless Quest book is their so is the next AP.

I hope the AP comes with a map as detailed of the region as Storm King's Thunder did for the Swordcoast and North.

Dragon Heist and DotMM are ethe same Storyline, Waterdeep. These books don't tie too closely to the APs themselves, so they don't cross the Streams.

I think the Cleric bit is about the next storyline season: but time will tell.
Nothing about a Swashbuckler necessitates a sea setting: Robin Hood or Zorro could just as easily fall under that subclass heading.

gyor

Legend
Dragon Heist and DotMM are ethe same Storyline, Waterdeep. These books don't tie too closely to the APs themselves, so they don't cross the Streams.

I think the Cleric bit is about the next storyline season: but time will tell.
Nothing about a Swashbuckler necessitates a sea setting: Robin Hood or Zorro could just as easily fall under that subclass heading.

I wouldn't call Robinhood a Swashbuckler, Zorro maybe. Swashbucklers tend to be linked heavily to Pirate and naval themes traditionally, like Captain Jack Sparrow. It's unlikely to be about bandits like Robinhood and I'm not even sure what kind of campaign Zorro would suggestion.

"Swashbuckler" refers to a particular fighting style. It has nothing to do with pirates. It became a subgenre of Holywood action movies from the 30s to the 50s. A couple of the most famous and best remembered of those movies involved pirates, but the majority did not.

Quite a few of those swashbuckler movies involved Robin Hood (most famously played by Errol Flynn in green tights). More recent versions of Robin Hood (80's onwards) have not focused on the Swashbuckling fighting style*.

*apart from this one: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107977/

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wouldn't call Robinhood a Swashbuckler, Zorro maybe. Swashbucklers tend to be linked heavily to Pirate and naval themes traditionally, like Captain Jack Sparrow. It's unlikely to be about bandits like Robinhood and I'm not even sure what kind of campaign Zorro would suggestion.

Yes, as Paul says above, there is no especially nautical connection, either in the generic archetype or more importantly in the Rogue Subclass. It's a Rogue with a Melee dealing focus, not a pirate Rogue.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I guess we will see which of us is right.

True; super thin info to go on now, which makes sense at this time.

The EQ books have touched four of the seven extant storylines so far: I would expect Tyranny of Dragons, Elemental Evil and Curse of Strahd would get touched on as well. Both the Elemental cults and the Cult of the Dragon would make good foils for a Swashbuckler (Three Musketeers, Scarlet Pimpernel, Robin Hood and Zorro are examples on the Wiki page). Given what was said, the Cleric seems to tie into the eighth storyline somehow, with location being important.

Last edited:

"Swashbuckler" refers to a particular fighting style. It has nothing to do with pirates. It became a subgenre of Holywood action movies from the 30s to the 50s. A couple of the most famous and best remembered of those movies involved pirates, but the majority did not.

Quite a few of those swashbuckler movies involved Robin Hood (most famously played by Errol Flynn in green tights). More recent versions of Robin Hood (80's onwards) have not focused on the Swashbuckling fighting style*.

*apart from this one: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107977/

Also, The Three Musketeers is just as much swashbuckler as the other references.

gyor

Legend
Also, The Three Musketeers is just as much swashbuckler as the other references.

I suppose so, I guess it could be a three musketeers sort of story in Cormyr, but Musketeers really isn't the style of Cormyr, or other FR Kingdoms, they would fit in more on the Swordcoast.

I still think that the next AP will be set on the Sea of Fallen Stars and be navy/pirate themed AP. Does anyone have anything that shows I'm wrong about that?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I suppose so, I guess it could be a three musketeers sort of story in Cormyr, but Musketeers really isn't the style of Cormyr, or other FR Kingdoms, they would fit in more on the Swordcoast.

I still think that the next AP will be set on the Sea of Fallen Stars and be navy/pirate themed AP. Does anyone have anything that shows I'm wrong about that?

Demonstrably, no: but I see no particular reason to suspect it, either. The naval theme comes up because of the WizKids sailing ship set, but that might not be tied to anything. Based on hooks and ellipses in SCAG, SKT and ToA, I would expect a Sea of Swords nautical AP eventually.

Swashbucklers fit in anywhere in the Realms: classic pulp stuff.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

I dont have anything, I just think other options are more viable (planar et al)

I will bet you a cookie its not on the Sea of Fallen Stars (although that would be neat).

Remove ads