Aggressive Spell Resistance - ultimate munchkin feat??

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
Just noticed this feat in Skreyn's Register: The Bonds of Magic. Is it just me or is this way too powerful?

Agressive Spell Resistance (General)
Your spell resistance can turn some effects back upon their caster.

Prerequisite: Iron Will, Spell resistance 20

Benefits: If your spell resistance succeeds against an effect that can be effected by spell turning, the effect turns fully back upon its source. For example, if a wizard casts charm person on you, and your spell resistance works against it, the charm person turns back upon the wizard, who must save or be charmed by you.

Now, a drow could have SR 20 by 9th level, right? I dunno, just seems way too powerful to me.

Doesn't mean I won't use it against the players sometime though ;)

Artoomis

First Post
Wayyyyy too easy to qualify for this very, very poweful feat!!

Iron Will plus Mantle of Spell Resistence (SR 21) and you are there. Mind you, that is a 90,000 gp item, but still...

Or any 13th level monk qualifies (if they take Iron Will - so that mean two feats). This looks like an incredible feat for a monk. At evey level (13 & up) a like level spell caster can only get past SR 1/2 the time, and the other half the effect will go right back to the caster. Wow!

Of course, the SR 20 requirement is meaningless as a balancing factor since it this feat is all about improving SR effects.

Keep in mind that a "normal" 10th level caster will get through SR 20 half the time - leaving the remaining half for 100% spell turning.

Wow! More powerful that Spell Turning, because it works 100% effectively when it reflects back a spell.

Also, what happens is the orignal caster has Spell Turning up? Does it create a resonance field per the spell? And if so, how does SR play into that?

I say no way on this feat!! It's not very well thought out.

Last edited:

Artoomis

First Post
Yes, it might work as a epic feat - I don't have the Epic handbook, but I think it is line with the powerful epic feats.

Add in some SR boosting (perhaps an epic item?) and that Epic monk becomes might darn hard to effect with magic. Just what you want for a monk at epic levels, I think.

Berk

First Post
deffinately appropriate for an epic level feat but raise the prereqs a bit like maybe SR 35 and that SR increasing epic feat and make it so you atleast need to have natural SR to get the feat, or as a class feature and such but not from items and spells.

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Apart from making it Epic, I'd probably also require the SR to beat the spell twice - once to prevent the effects (as normal) and then once more to reflect it. Kinda like confirming a crit...

Thoughts?

Crothian

First Post
Darkness said:
Apart from making it Epic, I'd probably also require the SR to beat the spell twice - once to prevent the effects (as normal) and then once more to reflect it. Kinda like confirming a crit...

Thoughts?

That sounds good. I'd also limit it to creatures with natural SR, so you could not have a magical item or spell that gives SR and qualify for it.

Personally, I think it's a great feat for Dragons.

Crothian

First Post
MeepoTheMighty said:
Good to know my Munchdar is still operating fine.

Well, I'm not so sure it's munchkin. If you stick to the core rules the feat is fine. Like many things, one needs to combine it with other powerful options to make it bad.

kreynolds

First Post
Darkness said:

Thoughts?

Definately a slick way of handling this. Alternatively, you could use a CL check (vs the spell's caster level) after the SR beats the spell.

Last edited:

Remove ads