• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ahsoka - SPOILERS

pukunui

Legend
I believe the timeline was at least somewhat foreshortened as of the prequel trilogy, so that they could round it out with the birth of Luke and Leia, but it's probably only a difference of 5-10 years
The timeline was foreshortened in ESB when Lucas revealed that Vader was 22 year-old Luke’s father.

If you take ANH on its own, Obi-Wan’s age and all the comments about ancient religions and such do make it sound like a much longer time has passed since the Clone Wars and the end of the Jedi.

But by making Vader Luke’s father in the very next film, Lucas made that an impossibility … unless he wanted to have Vader father children after the fall. (I suppose in that sense it was the prequels that established that Luke and Leia are the same age as the Empire.)

MarkB

Legend
The timeline was foreshortened in ESB when Lucas revealed that Vader was 22 year-old Luke’s father.

If you take ANH on its own, Obi-Wan’s age and all the comments about ancient religions and such do make it sound like a much longer time has passed since the Clone Wars and the end of the Jedi.

But by making Vader Luke’s father in the very next film, Lucas made that an impossibility … unless he wanted to have Vader father children after the fall. (I suppose in that sense it was the prequels that established that Luke and Leia are the same age as the Empire.)
See, that's the prequels talking. You assume that Anakin fell at the end of the Clone Wars, that the Empire was formed then, that these events also coincided with the Jedi being wiped from the galaxy. But none of that was established in the original trilogy. Vader didn't necessarily even go straight from mostly-human Anakin directly to more-machine-than-man Suit of Evil - that could have been something that occurred progressively across years or decades of successive injuries, leaving him well able to pursue relationships and fatherhood in the meantime.

pukunui

Legend
See, that's the prequels talking. You assume that Anakin fell at the end of the Clone Wars, that the Empire was formed then, that these events also coincided with the Jedi being wiped from the galaxy. But none of that was established in the original trilogy. Vader didn't necessarily even go straight from mostly-human Anakin directly to more-machine-than-man Suit of Evil - that could have been something that occurred progressively across years or decades of successive injuries, leaving him well able to pursue relationships and fatherhood in the meantime.
Yeah, fair enough. OK. It's the prequels' fault. ;)

Yeah, when I was a kid and saw Star Wars in the theater in 1977, and read the novelization the same summer, I would have said the Clone Wars were around 40 years before the movie, partly because of the age of Alec Guinness and Peter Cushing.

Deadstop

Explorer

Even by pure ANH, Luke’s dad (even before he turned out to be Vader) was an active Jedi Knight, fought in the Clone Wars, and conceived Luke before he died. Though, as pointed out elsewhere, those things didn’t have to happen as close together as they wound up being depicted in the prequels.

Cool, we can talk about new stuff now, and not just arguing about World War II generals or whatever.

Spoilers

This show has the right level of Star Wars logic for me. It still could be paced and edited more tightly, but I'm okay with enemy fighters that have ranged weapons nevertheless flying close enough in their strafing run that a woman with lightsabers can jump and slice one apart.

(I guess she hasn't learned the Leia trick of flying through space like Mary Poppins yet.)

I'm interested to see how Filoni decides to handle the concept of people learning to be Force sensitive, when previously it seemed like everyone had to be born with talent.

Kaodi

Hero
Hopefully next weeks episode is longer with more action. I mean, I do suspect Sabine and Hatti will face off again next week. Though I suppose we did at least learn that the Jedi, not not the Nightsisters, were aware of former intergalactic travel. I wonder whether that will come up in other interesting ways down the line.

Vael

Legend
Everyone has midiclorians. What Ahsoka is doing is threading that needle that anyone can wield the Force, given discipline and proper training, and that the Jedi still looked for the ultra rare savants to bring into the Jedi Order prior to Order 66, hence Huyang's comments. My read is if Order 66 hadn't happened, the Jedi Order not fallen, Sabine would not have been trained in the Force, her initial talent is too low.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads