AI is stealing writers’ words and jobs…

Scribe

Legend
There is a persistent belief that AI systems can/will relieve our current necessity to have highly trained doctors as gatekeepers to our healthcare. If the doctors themselves were the bulk of our healthcare costs, this might make some sense.

Yeah thats a massive stretch and ignores well...a whole lot of things that probably fall under the 'politics' banner in regards to the US system.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Okay, I am sure to get some angry replies to this, but here we go. "Technology" has been replacing human need to spend time on things since the very first. And by very first, I mean when humans didn't need to spend every waking moment searching for calories and could begin to branch out.

But we've come really far from there, so now it's a detriment, right? What are we protecting? 40 hour work weeks, when the worlds needs can be done with less?

Really, we're incensed because it's encroaching on creative matters, which we considered "human". And because it's impacting people we know or want to support. Even though we didn't storm the gates when garbage trucks started with automated can emptying or other jobs lost to technology.

Everything I'm saying is separate from how unethical the training material is - that absolutely needs to be addressed and quickly.

But so technology is extending into yet another sector. It's been doing it your entire life. Yes, the people in that sector will be disrupted. Again, same as your entire life. And these create new opportunities, both directly like the need for more SME editors, for people using this as tools just like digital artists right now have tools like digital brushes that make their creations less labor intensive, and just allowing people to be people.

There are times you want to go out to eat and have a meal professionally made for you, and there's a time you want to throw chicken nuggets into the microwave.

AI art and writing is here. That can't be put back into the bag. We can and should feel bad for those who's careers have been disrupted, just like we should for everyone who's jobs have been automated or replaced by advances in technology. But just raging against something that isn't going away does nothing. Focus on what we can - being kind to those displaced, making sure that strong laws are put in place requiring the training material to be ethically sourced, and looking for what new opportunities this can bring, what does this open up to us as a whole?

Mirtek

Hero
And automatic brake systems in trains put the brakemen out of work. More news at 11.

Sooner rather than later the number of "boring" accountants working their 9-to-5 in back office cubicles will also be reduced from like 10 persons doing expense reports and general ledger and stuff to 3 people who check the work of the AI and correct any errors.

Scribe

Legend
Sooner rather than later the number of "boring" accountants working their 9-to-5 in back office cubicles will also be reduced from like 10 persons doing expense reports and general ledger and stuff to 3 people who check the work of the AI and correct any errors.

And those 7 people, and the families they support since you know double income required and all that, what are they doing?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
My wife and I wait in line instead of going through the self checkout, because that keeps people in jobs, which keeps money going through the community.

Thats the part the short sighted dont see.

There are only so many shovels to go around, and when nobody has money, who even gets to hire the guy with the shovel?

Race to the bottom, Capitalism 2024.
I usually do as well, but not to keep people in jobs. I like having baggers and I don’t want to be accused of theft when the self checkout acts like it scanned something but didn’t. Also why I dislike order kiosks at McDonald’s and such - if I make any mistake or it glitches then it’s on me for failing to properly use their equipment and I pay for it. I don’t want that responsibility, especially when I have no recourse.

At some point I think liability will be placed on the store. If Customers fail to properly use self checkouts, it’s on the company for not training them adequately. IMO.

Yes, and?

Copyright exists, at least in theory, to protect the rights of a creator, largely because that creation takes labor and time. If you're using an AI, you are using very little labor and time, and so won't care a whole lot about whether the resulting piece is protected by copyright.

Really depends on what the product is and it's function and the economic value it brings, and what effect the lack of copy right has on folks leeching way your profits.

Remove ads