D&D General AI ranks D&D editions

GSHamster

Adventurer
Another forum I read is playing around with ChatGPT, the newest text-generation AI. One of the posters asked it to rank D&D editions, and I thought this forum would be interested in the results.

Prompt: Write a top five list of the best editions of Dungeons and Dragons. Include common criticisms of each edition.

Response:
1. Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition (D&D 5e) - This is currently the most popular edition of the game and is known for its focus on storytelling and player choice. It is also praised for its streamlined rules and easily accessible character creation. Common criticisms of 5e include its lack of character customization options and its reliance on the "theater of the mind" for combat, which can be difficult for some players to visualize.

2. Dungeons and Dragons 3rd Edition (D&D 3e) - This edition introduced the d20 system, which has become the foundation for many other tabletop RPGs. It is known for its flexibility and the ability to create highly specialized characters. However, it is also criticized for its complex rules and reliance on min-maxing and optimization, which can make the game less enjoyable for casual players.

3. Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition (D&D 4e) - This edition was a major departure from previous editions, with a focus on tactical combat and a more structured game world. It introduced the concept of "powers" for each character class, which allowed for more diverse and dynamic abilities. However, it was also criticized for its lack of support for non-combat activities and its reliance on pre-written adventures, which some players felt limited their ability to create their own stories.

4. Dungeons and Dragons Original Edition (D&D 1e) - This is the first edition of the game, and is known for its simplicity and flexibility. It is also praised for its focus on player creativity and the ability to create unique campaigns. However, it is also criticized for its lack of structure and organization, which can make the game difficult for new players to learn.

5. Dungeons and Dragons 2nd Edition (D&D 2e) - This edition introduced many of the core concepts that are still present in modern editions of the game, including character classes, levels, and the alignment system. It is known for its expansive list of spells and abilities, which allowed for a wide range of character options. However, it is also criticized for its complex rules and the need for a comprehensive understanding of the game mechanics in order to play effectively.

Source: Re: ChatGPT

Another forum I read is playing around with ChatGPT, the newest text-generation AI. One of the posters asked it to rank D&D editions, and I thought this forum would be interested in the results.

Prompt: Write a top five list of the best editions of Dungeons and Dragons. Include common criticisms of each edition.

Response:

Source: Re: ChatGPT

Pretty dang good for an AI.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I think the descriptions are a really good snap shot, with the exception of 4E. I imagine the class roles being more important to point out than powers, but its fine I guess for a single paragraph general statement.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Two things-

1. I don't think it's possible to engage with the post substantively without getting involved in edition warring of some type (even inadvertently) and having the thread closed.

2. As someone who has had an interest in AI for a long time, the rapid rapid rapid advance of deep learning (machine learning) has been awesome, in both the modern and older sense (inspring awe or dread) of the word. AI was always kinda sorta like fusion ... "20 years away," but it feels uncomfortably like we might have already past the point of AI (if not Skynet).

Good times!

Sacrosanct

Legend
Proof that AI isn't replacing actual writers any time soon lol. Many of those things are...not remotely correct, and some of the most popular discussed features and criticisms aren't even mentioned.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
All your base are belong to Al.

Stanley Kubrick 70Mm GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

Remove ads