Alignment Languages?

Ambrus

Explorer
During our group's session last Saturday, the topic of alignment languages came up. We shared a brief laugh at their expense as two of us tried to enact a conversation in True Neutral. We imagined that a conversation between two dedicated fence-sitters wouldn't be terribly exciting or conclusive. :lol:

Whuh?
Meh!
Sne.
*shrug*
Yup...

Although I've heard that the earliest edition(s) of D&D included alignment languages, I've never actually seen or heard of them being used in play. Anybody know what was the basis for their creation and what role they were intended to play in a campaign setting? Any humorous anecdotes involving their use?

Dragonbait

Explorer
It sounds like Hank Hill speaks Neutral "Yup.."

Is it something like a Pokemon language?
"Lawful good! Lawful Law Lawf Goo. Good Lawful Go Law."
"Chaotic EVIL!!! EVIL EVIL EVIL EVIL!"

Anybody know what was the basis for their creation and what role they were intended to play in a campaign setting? Any humorous anecdotes involving their use?
I've always assumed that in part because of it's roots as a wargame, alignment was always more about being a "team jersey" than it was about being a description of behavior. In that sense, alignment languages at least make some limited sense.

Doug McCrae

Legend
I've always assumed that in part because of it's roots as a wargame, alignment was always more about being a "team jersey" than it was about being a description of behavior. In that sense, alignment languages at least make some limited sense.
They're the lingua franca of an army. Makes sense with three alignments - lawful, neutral, chaotic - and, presumably, just two languages - lawful and chaotic. Doesn't make sense with nine.

rogueattorney

Adventurer
Alignment language originally existed mechanically as a means for the Int 9 evil high priest to talk to his orcish minions or for the good guy elves to talk to the good guy gnomes. It was a good way to make sure the pcs could communicate with the Lawful and Neutral creatures on the low-level wandering monster charts. The rule wasn't expressed as speaking "Lawful" or "Chaotic" but as the language of the alignment. What that language was - the Black Tongue, Latin, Goodguyese - was up to the DM.

As alignment shifted from "what side you're on" to a nebulous personality descriptor, things got confusing and muddled, to say the least.

I don't think there was a better idea in D&D more poorly executed on a consistent basis during the brand's entire 35+ years than alignment.

Ambrus

Explorer
...or for the good guy elves to talk to the good guy gnomes.
Heh. That makes me picture a group of PCs stumbling into a sylvan elf ambush. "Okay, everybody smile and don't draw your weapons; I'll try to communicate our peaceful intentions to these guys in goodese. Uh... *cough* Sunshine. Lollipops. Kitty cats and uh... cotton candy?"
– K-kit-ty cats?
– Yes! Kitty cats! Purr...
– Purr! Purr!
– It's alright. I think I'm getting through to them...

Romtos

First Post
Heh. That makes me picture a group of PCs stumbling into a sylvan elf ambush. "Okay, everybody smile and don't draw your weapons; I'll try to communicate our peaceful intentions to these guys in goodese. Uh... *cough* Sunshine. Lollipops. Kitty cats and uh... cotton candy?"
– K-kit-ty cats?
– Purr! Purr!
-Does that sparkle with everyone?
-Sunshine!

From which edition/setting is this stuff?

Huw

First Post
Alignment language originally existed mechanically as a means for the Int 9 evil high priest to talk to his orcish minions or for the good guy elves to talk to the good guy gnomes. It was a good way to make sure the pcs could communicate with the Lawful and Neutral creatures on the low-level wandering monster charts. The rule wasn't expressed as speaking "Lawful" or "Chaotic" but as the language of the alignment. What that language was - the Black Tongue, Latin, Goodguyese - was up to the DM.

As alignment shifted from "what side you're on" to a nebulous personality descriptor, things got confusing and muddled, to say the least.

I don't think there was a better idea in D&D more poorly executed on a consistent basis during the brand's entire 35+ years than alignment.

That was incredibly helpful, thanks. First time alignment languages have made any sense. I believe the only time I ever used them was when I tried to persuade the DM that my druid could speak to any animal, as we both spoke "neutral".

Anyway, you've got me thinking, how to make it work again... :hmm:

rogueattorney

Adventurer
– K-kit-ty cats?
– Purr! Purr!

I think you're trying to be funny. But it was originally an actual language with words and vocabulary. The idea that you could only communicate concepts related to the alignment came later.

Remove ads