• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alignment: pretty sure how it works

Smerg

First Post
I think the mechanics of Alignment is being replaced by personality flaws.

Note the description of Humans having the negative personality flaw of corruptible ( from Kundum's posting).

GamerZero Blue on her 4e gaming experience mentioned that her Elf had an assigned personality of Flippant.

It sounded like this is where 'alignment' is more headed in 4e.

This would bring it more in line with most other RPGs on the market that use more descriptive alignments instead of old White and Black Hat alignments of Good and Evil.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
TerraDave said:
Ok, this is probably not a big revelation, but I think we know enough to say that in D&D 4ed there will be 5 alignments (or 4 plus none):

Lawfull
Chaotic
Good
Evil
Unaligned

So dudly-do-good is good, paladin-do-right is lawfull, big-pain-the-halfling-rogue is chaotic, and the-big-bad-villian is evil. But some PCs, and probably most NPCs (including many monsters, commoners, etc), normal, unaligned, beings.

Discuss.
"Unaligned" is the new "neutral?"

Goken100

First Post
I think the latest news is that most PC's and worldly entities are unaligned. Actual magical alignment is for abstract beings. So congratulations, here's your brain back. Time to make actual decisions.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Kesh said:
Maybe I missed something, but I don't see where you're getting this from.

1) They said early that alingment will be different, and not play quite as big a role.

2) When they have mentioned alingment it is: good, evil, lawfull, chaotic, or unaligned. No neutral good, etc.

From that, this: You have none, you have one, and maybe two: it may be possible to have two, ie lawfull and good, but there is really no "lawfull good" as a distinct alignment.

And, to answer another question: no neutral.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
It sounds as if Alignment has become d20 Allegiance. If you're really that committed to Law, or to Good, or to Evil, you have that as your alignment. Otherwise you're unaligned and have no real strong investment in any of those things.

Cheers,
Cam

Irda Ranger

First Post
Goken100 said:
I think the latest news is that most PC's and worldly entities are unaligned hungry. Actual magical alignment is for abstract beings Jedi. So congratulations, here's your brain stomach back. Time to make actual decisions kill things, take their stuff, and sell it to buy food.
Chewbacca, Lvl 4 Barbarian
Alignment: Unaligned
On the one hand: Loyalty (Han Solo)
On the other hand: Easily Enraged
Primary Motivator: Food

"Great, Chewy, just great. Always thinking with your stomach."

Irda Ranger

First Post
TerraDave said:
I think so.

I guess militant "balancism" might be out. Actually, then again, you could have an unalinged movement...
"militant balancism" never made any sense whatsoever. If you're militant, you have to be for something.

I think this is a good change. I expect that people who are "unaligned" will still have goals and motives, just secular ones. King & Country; the Church (for good or ill); the Red Sox; etc.

Goken100

First Post
Irda Ranger said:
Chewbacca, Lvl 4 Barbarian
Alignment: Unaligned
On the one hand: Loyalty (Han Solo)
On the other hand: Easily Enraged
Primary Motivator: Food

"Great, Chewy, just great. Always thinking with your stomach."
Haha, ya, or that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads