D&D 5E Am I no longer WoTC's target audience?

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Tiefling seem to be the modern Kender. They attract certain types of players that seem to like annoying everyone else. I'm just RPing I'ma part infernal if course Ina gonna steal/murder/be an edgy jackass". I don't mind so much now I just boot those players very quick.

You mean the people that would play theives and assassins in 1e?

Anoth

Adventurer
Yeah, in 3.5 days I would run into the rogue player who only wanted to jerk around they other players and cause issue stealing and murdering. Now they're tielflings.

i can honestly say I never saw that problem with a tiefling in play. Mine were always trying to convince the public they weren’t demons and trying to avoid being lynched.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Sci did a different genre.
. Fantasy draws heavily on old myths and legends. Ancient Greece, Rome, Vikings etc.

Sci do is still heavily human dominated but it's kinda a new genre at least for mass market.

Fantasy is more universal across all cultures. Heavily influenced by myth, legend, religion etc.

You can just say “I prefer my fantasy to be human centric”. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Because the explanation above doesn’t seem to really pertain.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
You can just say “I prefer my fantasy to be human centric”. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Because the explanation above doesn’t really seem to really pertain.

Put it this way notice most heroes in fantasy are human? It's written by humans for humans.

Damsel in distress go rescue her live happily ever after. Or she rescued him these days.

Not quite the same as two lizard people who decide to raise a clutch if eggs or something.

Ones a bit easier to grok. Or if you end up with a group of weird races.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Put it this way notice most heroes in fantasy are human? It's written by humans for humans.

Damsel in distress go rescue her live happily ever after. Or she rescued him these days.

Not quite the same as two lizard people who decide to raise a clutch if eggs or something.

Ones a bit easier to grok. Or if you end up with a group of weird races.

I wouldn’t disagree with that. If we really boil it down, I don’t even really get the need for elves and dwarves and all that. They really never seem all that different from humans.

But my point is that it’s the same with sci fi. We have more in common with the humans in sci-fi, most of the protagonists are human, their culture and society is in some way familiar to ours, if not actually ours.

Oofta

Legend
I wouldn’t disagree with that. If we really boil it down, I don’t even really get the need for elves and dwarves and all that. They really never seem all that different from humans.

But my point is that it’s the same with sci fi. We have more in common with the humans in sci-fi, most of the protagonists are human, their culture and society is in some way familiar to ours, if not actually ours.
I almost see less of a difference in most sci-fi between species than races in D&D. Then if they happen to have a culture different than ours, there's something "wrong" that needs to be fixed. Well, that and they all have a single mono-culture or at most a single rebellious faction. The rebellious faction are usually the good guys because they're more like us.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I almost see less of a difference in most sci-fi between species than races in D&D. Then if they happen to have a culture different than ours, there's something "wrong" that needs to be fixed. Well, that and they all have a single mono-culture or at most a single rebellious faction. The rebellious faction are usually the good guys because they're more like us.

Yeah I think that applies both ways also. Depends on the nature of the specific fiction, I suppose. Star Wars, for instance, most of the different races don’t seem to offer much, except a strange language (which everyone can understand anyway) and little else. Chewbacca is the notable exception. There are a few others.

Tolkien, because of the depth of the work, did a good job of making the elves seem different from men. Not entirely alien, but certainly different. Less so with the dwarves, in my opinion.

Most D&D games, when it comes to race, it seems more to me about having a few potential hooks into the game world than about playing something other than human. Like if you play an elf, it kind of dictates where you’re from....usually there are a couple of elven lands and the same for dwarves. Humans are more ubiquitous. So it matters for background and how the PC connects to some elements of the game world.

But when it comes to roleplay, I don’t tend to see people play elves all that differently than humans. They still have the same emotions and behave in very understandable ways. Same with dwarves. Each may lend themselves to certain traits....elves may be aloof or act superior, dwarves may be gruff...but these are still fundamentally traits which we can find among humans.

I imagine this is likely very true of non-human characters in sci-fi games, too.

Anoth

Adventurer
Planets in scifi are like cities in fantasy games. In sci-fi in general each species has one culture. And religion in sci-fi can vary. But usually it’s a misunderstanding of a more powerful alien race (which has been done to death).

Remove ads