• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Am I no longer WoTC's target audience?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Um...

If you are looking at what is most effective (for whatever definition of "effective" you are using) then you are explicitly not using "the original did it this way" as your argument. You are using "this is more effective" as your argument.

And thus, my point still stands. Being in the original does not, in and of itself, carry weight.
I'm just trying to push back against the "newest is best" mentality that I run into all too often here and elsewhere.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Duergar, svirfneblin and drow are all player-facing options in Unearthed Arcana, and Gygax also talked about playing them as PCs in a Dragon article in issue 95, which prefigured the UA revisions to demihuman level limits.
Merely proof that even Gygax was capable of making mistakes. :)

Arilyn

Hero
Historically, we know almost nothing about the druids. D&D druids, as well as other fantasy games, have created a tradition based on the Victorian ideas of druids mixed in with modern ecological concerns for the wilderness. As such, elves are a great choice to embrace druidic practices.

As a side note, if we could somehow fully comprehend what the druids practiced, as modern people, we'd robably still want to stick with our made up ones. 😊

hawkeyefan

Legend
We'll flat-out have to agree to disagree on that one.

In a space-based game or setting (Traveller, Star Wars, etc.) humanocentrism doesn't make much sense. In a fantasy-earthlike game or setting (D&D and many others) it certainly does.

How do you figure that?

Genuinely asking. I don’t know if I agree...I think I might not....but I’m curious on your reasoning for that conclusion.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
As a side note, if we could somehow fully comprehend what the druids practiced, as modern people, we'd robably still want to stick with our made up ones. 😊
Yeah, although if D&D Druids had a heaping helping of human sacrifice ladled over the top I might actually play one some time. I'd even settle for demihuman sacrifice, I'm not picky. We could fill a wicker man with Gnome Paladins and light a fire so big the gods will notice us again.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, although if D&D Druids had a heaping helping of human sacrifice ladled over the top I might actually play one some time. I'd even settle for demihuman sacrifice, I'm not picky. We could fill a wicker man with Gnome Paladins and light a fire so big the gods will notice us again.

Can I use Kender for fuel instead.

They're my only truly hated race in D&D.

Last edited:

Remove ads