• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

am i reading this right??

saethone

First Post
exalted arcanist level 5 ability:

Sanctified Spells: A 5th-level exalted arcanist can use sanctified spells as though they were among her spells known.

(Pre-req for exalted arcanist is a spontaneous arcane caster - sorc or bard, basically)

then, page 84

Sanctified spells:
1st
Twilight luck
Divine Inspiration

2nd
Luminous Armor
Ayailla's Radiant Burst

3rd
Phieran's Resolve
Path of the Exalted
Brilliant Emanation
Hammer of Righteousness
Celestial Aspect

4th
Greater Luminous Armor
Sunmantle
Diamond Spray

5th
Inquisition
Curtain of Light
Sicken Evil

6th
Exalted Raiment
Valiant Steed
Storm of Shards

7th
Cry of Ysgard
Constricting Chains
Rain of Embers
Pheonix Fire
Channel Celestial

8th
Dragon Cloud
Restore Soul's Treasure

9th
Armageddon
Exalted Fury
Sanctify the Wicked
Channel Greater Celestial

Now is it just me or does that imply that the spells above do not have to be learned and take up spell knowledge spots? or is that just bad wording

It seems to me that you would need to take up the slots for it, otherwise..thats alot of spells to be able to cast...

UltimaGabe

First Post
Keep in mind, of course, that although they're getting a ton of spells added to their spell list, I'd be very surprised if you ever saw more than one of them being cast during a single game session, or more than three or four of them being cast EVER. Sanctified spells, although powerful, have some pretty hefty costs- and not too many people are gonna be slinging spells that each deal strength damage to the caster too often. (And that's one of the less-costly components.)

glass

(he, him)
saethone said:
Now is it just me or does that imply that the spells above do not have to be learned and take up spell knowledge spots? or is that just bad wording

It seems to me that you would need to take up the slots for it, otherwise..thats alot of spells to be able to cast...

If they did take up spells known slots, then the ability would do nothing, as IIRC sorcerers and bards can already learn them if the want to spend slots on them.

glass.

brehobit

Explorer
UltimaGabe said:
Keep in mind, of course, that although they're getting a ton of spells added to their spell list, I'd be very surprised if you ever saw more than one of them being cast during a single game session, or more than three or four of them being cast EVER. Sanctified spells, although powerful, have some pretty hefty costs- and not too many people are gonna be slinging spells that each deal strength damage to the caster too often. (And that's one of the less-costly components.)

I'll disagree. I had such a character (with VoP too!). These spells are very very useful. Constricting Chains is, as I recall, just a great spell. Now I do agree that they need to be used very carefully (and some will likely never be used) but they are really handy. The ones that cause STR drain/damage aren't too bad as I recall. But the CON ones are scary to cast.

Some of the spells are way way overpowered. Valiant Steed and Cry of Ysgard really should be class features.

And the rule that clerics can freely cast these spells is really really gross. At least a sorc. has to take 5 class levels in a PrC to get access to them.

I like the BoED (a lot). But balance is certainly an issue....

DM_Matt

First Post
brehobit said:
I'll disagree. I had such a character (with VoP too!). These spells are very very useful. Constricting Chains is, as I recall, just a great spell. Now I do agree that they need to be used very carefully (and some will likely never be used) but they are really handy. The ones that cause STR drain/damage aren't too bad as I recall. But the CON ones are scary to cast.

Some of the spells are way way overpowered. Valiant Steed and Cry of Ysgard really should be class features.

And the rule that clerics can freely cast these spells is really really gross. At least a sorc. has to take 5 class levels in a PrC to get access to them.

I like the BoED (a lot). But balance is certainly an issue....

Check the components on those permasummon spells. IIRC, you usually need to be the right kind of outsider for most of 'em.

And yeah, Sanctified Spells rock, at least so longa s you have soemone around who can restoration you after combat. The cleric IMC uses almost ONLY those in combat. Anyone who plans on going EA should not dump stat str too much and/or get an item or cast bulls str before big combats. Remember, the nice attack spells usually only do 1d2 or 1d3.

And they ARE nice. Constricting Chains iirc has no save. Hammer of Righteousness (d8/level, fort for half) is very strong. Storm of Shards is great (d6/level to evil, 80 radius(!), ref for half, fort or BLIND)...There is some strong defensive stuff, too, like sunmantle and greater luminous armor. Exalted Raiment (L6), among other things, reduces str dmg from sanctified spells by one. Diamond Spray costs 100gp each time you use it, but also not too shabby, iirc.

Rath the Brown

First Post
glass said:
If they did take up spells known slots, then the ability would do nothing, as IIRC sorcerers and bards can already learn them if the want to spend slots on them.

Read the description of sanctified spells again...

BoED said:
Spellcasters prepare sanctified spells just as they do regular spells, and casters who do not prepare spells (including sorcerers and bards) cannot make us of them except from a scroll.

Remove ads