D&D 5E Amazon US book sales rank.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think there's a tendency for TTRPGs to grow more complex with each new edition, recapturing current players but losing its ability to gain new ones. There were factors beyond game design that played a role in AD&D becoming the main version of the game - TSR basically lost its ability to sell in mass market outlets once the fad passed - but I think making the more complex version of the game the default and the lack of a clear path from Basic to AD&D really hurt the game.

Continuity is a big benefit between editions. It's why I think the 2024 version of D&D will have a fairly light touch.

I've noticed they put the mid edition stuff into the next revision.

Basic page count from 1E to 2E to 1995 2E to 3.0. 1000 odd pages for core rules.

I played some old D&D 2012 when I think you said that you tried them out whole designing 5E.

This year I've played 2E, Castles and Cruades and 5E. Some sort of B/X and 2E hybrid with modern mechanics would be close to my ideal D&D.

One coukd also use 5E to clone previous editions or make an OSR game.

Hussar

Legend
A lot of people who got the AD&D books also got the D&D Basic book.

Interestingly, based on Ben Riggs' figures, Red Box sold less than Moldvay Basic!

(Red Box figures - 1.1 million lifetime sales. Moldvay Basic - 1.26 million lifetime sales).
At a guess, I would imagine it went the other way around. A lot of people who got the D&D Basic books then got the AD&D books. If nothing else, the entry price would probably be a determining factor.

darjr

I crit!
PHB 2024 is at 2k bought in the last month.

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 7.36.11 PM.png

Zardnaar

Legend
does that calculator work backwards. Maybe to give us an estimate of a rank?

We had an ex Amazon employee here point out that the sales were in tens of thousands of units per monthbut could be as low as 20k-30k. Or a few hundred per day.

That's still great over the long term.

Not sure where else to put this and I didn't really think it needed it's own thread, so...

Barnes and Noble has a promo code for 25% off preorder books for members (free) and premium members (annual fee), which includes the 2024 PHB, DMG, and MM. The premium member 10% off stacks with this promo code. When I put all 3 books in my cart and apply the code, it drops the price down to $101.22 + tax.

Obligatory the promo code also works on upcoming Pathfinder books.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
Not sure where else to put this and I didn't really think it needed it's own thread, so...

Barnes and Noble has a promo code for 25% off preorder books for members (free) and premium members (annual fee), which includes the 2024 PHB, DMG, and MM. The premium member 10% off stacks with this promo code. When I put all 3 books in my cart and apply the code, it drops the price down to $101.22 + tax.

Obligatory the promo code also works on upcoming Pathfinder books.
I'm going to order from my FLGS still, but that promo code should come in handy for Wind & Truth...

Remove ads