• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

American Indians Colonize the Old world in 1250 BC

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I was agreeing with Dragoner on whether the title of the OP could be considered political, so perhaps Dragoner has a counter-point (or counter-counter-point). If it's worth pursuing.

I agree with you as well. There is a subtle nuance to the labels, and in my experience, "Indian" is falling away from general usage, because Indians are from the Republic of India, the term was always a misnomer. I agree about denying genocide as well, though being partially of the Jewish persuasion, denial conversations strike me as unsettling at best, if not tasteless, and I didn't want to automatically Godwin the thread.

I also agree the thread should just die, that's why I didn't reply, hoping the thread would fall down into oblivion.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Ok, now a thought has risen from the froth, instead of American Indians, actual Indians conquer most of the known world, say in Ashoka the Great's time around 250 BC? Suddenly Buddhism becomes the main religion? What happens when they reach the New World? That would be different, no Rome, no Middle Ages, no World Wars; eventually the Modern Age sees a world ruled by some "Enlightened Empire"?

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
or on whether Trans-Bering qualifies as a sibboleth

Interesting to note, but I know indigenous Americans who do not believe their ancestors crossed the Bering land-bridge but were instead always indigenous to the Americas.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
I agree with you as well. There is a subtle nuance to the labels, and in my experience, "Indian" is falling away from general usage, because Indians are from the Republic of India, the term was always a misnomer. I agree about denying genocide as well, though being partially of the Jewish persuasion, denial conversations strike me as unsettling at best, if not tasteless, and I didn't want to automatically Godwin the thread.

I also agree the thread should just die, that's why I didn't reply, hoping the thread would fall down into oblivion.

Seems like you are doing a good job in my absence in keeping it alive. I've got bigger fish to fry. I'm trying to start a topic on "Ready Player One" using that as a role playing setting, so I don't want to get banned for politics on this silly topic. Seems to me, from reading the book, Ready Player One has a lot in common with Dungeons & Dragons, so I busy constructing a "Universe" based on that. Who knows, maybe someday someone will build the Oasis for real.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Interesting to note, but I know indigenous Americans who do not believe their ancestors crossed the Bering land-bridge but were instead always indigenous to the Americas.

Do you believe in parallel evolution? If you believe that, then their are humans on other planets, just like in Star Trek.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned

I was listening to a talk by David Reich who studies Genetic history. He mentioned that American Indians and the French share genetic markers.

Derren

Hero
There are some topics where people actively search for things to be artificially offended about. Native Americans and the colonization of America is one of such things.

Anyway, I am still wondering what goods the natives could export from Europe. How about livestock other than horses? I guess by that time they could have domesticated buffalo as ox replacement. Are they missing anything else in America?

Ok, now a thought has risen from the froth, instead of American Indians, actual Indians conquer most of the known world, say in Ashoka the Great's time around 250 BC? Suddenly Buddhism becomes the main religion? What happens when they reach the New World? That would be different, no Rome, no Middle Ages, no World Wars; eventually the Modern Age sees a world ruled by some "Enlightened Empire"?

Ashoka was a warlord like any other. The Buddhist canon was crystallized in the Maurya empire under his imperial direction; the literary figure of Siddartha Gautama was also invented at this time.

Subsequent portrayals of Ashoka as virtuous are Buddhist propaganda. He was reviled by the Mahameghavahana and Gupta dynasties. His popularity as a "Virtuous Emperor" was a result of British colonialism; the Raj understood that promoting pacifism was in their interest, and giving India a national hero in this vein worked very well.

Writers of "history" with religious or theological agendas are not reliable under any circumstances.

Remove ads