• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

American Indians Colonize the Old world in 1250 BC

Thomas Bowman

First Post
There are some topics where people actively search for things to be artificially offended about. Native Americans and the colonization of America is one of such things.

Anyway, I am still wondering what goods the natives could export from Europe. How about livestock other than horses? I guess by that time they could have domesticated buffalo as ox replacement. Are they missing anything else in America?

They get to control the conversation that way. They say, "I'm offended, shut up!" If someone looks like he is about to make a good point and the other person doesn't have a good counter, he gets "offended!"

Agray Day

First Post
They get to control the conversation that way. They say, "I'm offended, shut up!" If someone looks like he is about to make a good point and the other person doesn't have a good counter, he gets "offended!"

“Herein lies the tragedy of the age: not that men are poor, — all men know something of poverty; not that men are wicked, — who is good? not that men are ignorant, — what is Truth? Nay, but that men know so little of men.”
― W.E.B. Du Bois,

“To know that you do not know is the best.
To think you know when you do not is a disease.
Recognizing this disease as a disease is to be free of it.”

thank you

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Ok, now a thought has risen from the froth, instead of American Indians, actual Indians conquer most of the known world, say in Ashoka the Great's time around 250 BC? Suddenly Buddhism becomes the main religion? What happens when they reach the New World? That would be different, no Rome, no Middle Ages, no World Wars; eventually the Modern Age sees a world ruled by some "Enlightened Empire"?
That sounds do-able, in the sense that "How do we get from there to here?" can be thought about and a reasonable Alternate History can be projected.

You would still have Rome, facing Carthage. China is out there, the Scythians in modern Ukraine, Gauls in far-west Europe, Alexander the Great died when Ashoka's dad was a kid...
All these states would take offense to Ashoka trying to conquer them - but a wave of missionaries might see good success, especially in the Hellenic world (Persia, Greece, Med. city-states). The traditional Babylonian &c gods all had recently demonstrated 'why should we believe in you?' weaknesses that could be exploited; Greek religion was based on deities that acted like squabbling kids. And Buddhism did spread over China IRL.
Buddha's missionaries, teaching principles that are timeless, could look/sound pretty good.

Sadras

Legend
That sounds do-able, in the sense that "How do we get from there to here?" can be thought about and a reasonable Alternate History can be projected.

You would still have Rome, facing Carthage. China is out there, the Scythians in modern Ukraine, Gauls in far-west Europe, Alexander the Great died when Ashoka's dad was a kid...
All these states would take offense to Ashoka trying to conquer them - but a wave of missionaries might see good success, especially in the Hellenic world (Persia, Greece, Med. city-states). The traditional Babylonian &c gods all had recently demonstrated 'why should we believe in you?' weaknesses that could be exploited; Greek religion was based on deities that acted like squabbling kids. And Buddhism did spread over China IRL.
Buddha's missionaries, teaching principles that are timeless, could look/sound pretty good.

Forget the squabbling Hellenic deities- I'm more interested in the Hellenic Philosophy attempting to counter the influence of Buddhism in this what if scenario.

Sadras

Legend
I guess it depends on whether the gods have anything to say about it, or is this a debate about beliefs only?

I'm referring to beliefs. Early philosophy very much influenced Christianity (both for and against, via Plato, Aristotle and the rest). So the impact of Buddhism on the Mediterranean at the time would certainly be interesting.

Bringing this back to roleplaying - our table has only seen a handful of theological debates/discussions spring up in our entire gaming experience, but each time it was brought up between PCs or PCs and NPCs it certainly was always enjoyable/positive. Certainly had the feeling that it made the game richer (speaking from a DM's perspective).

pemerton

Legend
Forget the squabbling Hellenic deities- I'm more interested in the Hellenic Philosophy attempting to counter the influence of Buddhism in this what if scenario.
I don't think the Hellenic philosphies would be trying to "counter" the influence of Buddhism. There is a lot in common between them, insofar as all are concerned with the relationship between nature, choice and wellbeing. (It's a long time since I've read the literature about the direction of influence - I think the medium of influence was Alexander's activities in Inida.)

Sadras

Legend
I don't think the Hellenic philosphies would be trying to "counter" the influence of Buddhism. There is a lot in common between them, insofar as all are concerned with the relationship between nature, choice and wellbeing. (It's a long time since I've read the literature about the direction of influence - I think the medium of influence was Alexander's activities in Inida.)

True the word counter was a poor choice. You are correct there are quite a few similarities between the two, the most obvious difference that comes to mind is the fact that ancient Greek philosophy (specifically Stoicism) promoted primarily self-control and logic to attain tranquility while Buddhism promoted quiet meditation/training leading to the removal of negative emotion and thoughts to attain inner peace.
It is this conflict between the approaches that would be of interest to me.

Remove ads