D&D 5E Amethyst NEXT (and DEM's twitter account)

Dias Ex Machina

Publisher / Game Designer
Yes.

We are going to do it.

I've been posting on DEM's twitter account some of our ideas going forward with D&D Next. It's just brainstorming at the moment, but like WOTC, I want to share these ideas and see if any of them stick. If WOTC ends up using them (or something similar), then we'll know we're on the right track.

https://twitter.com/DiasExMachina

--Perhaps our narros (dwarves) or damaskans (elves) can treat specific two-handed weapons as finesse.

--I would like to bring back move "actions" even if WOTC doesn't. Perhaps a PC can initiate an attack action instead of moving on his turn. This would not be considered an action, and may have limitation with power.
--I am sure there will be some specialty or class ability which scales up expertise die (1d4>1d6>1d8).
--Amethyst totems will be associated with specific wizardry traditions (EG: Book with Academic, Battle Magic with weapons). We may even create new ones.
--Limshau would be a background, but Custodian and Librarian would be specialties.
--I had this neat idea for an ability where if you don't expend any expertise die, you gain +1 expertise die next turn. This would be cumulative to +4, but when you finally use it, you have to use all of them in one turn or lose all the new dice acquired.
--Races will still be original in Amethyst (narros, damaskan) but regional differences will be introduced (Damasian and Limshau damaskans, Fargon and Finer narros).
--We may still offer variable racial attributes in Amethyst. Limshau damaskans offer +1 to Int or Dex; Damasian damaskan offer +1 Wis or +1 Dex.
--Limshau Custodians can treat all limshau weapons as finesse.
--Perhaps the new Amethyst Marshal will be able to offer his expertise die to allies. Further, perhaps he can improve their die (1d4>1d6>1d8), or generate an aura where allies gain +1 expertise die.

I am sure many others have thought of these as well. I like where these rules are going and hope Amethyst can be part of the NEXT family.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
How are you handling that legally? Just going ahead and hoping they'll provide a license at a later point, or just doing it anyway?

Dias Ex Machina

From my conversations with Mearls, I'm confident there will be a positive relationship in our future.

If the potential liberty equals GSL or better (not even asking for OGL), DEM will commit. No harm with starting now.

Considering we hope to transfer Amethyst, Ultramodern, NeuroSpasta and a yet unnamed third setting to NEXT (while still supporting past systems like 4th Ed and Pathfinder), we'll need to start early.

Dias Ex Machina

Sounds very good.

Any hints on the third setting?

I recently informed my lead artist on the project about it and details what would be asked of him. This was his answer...

"Wow! I mean...wow! What appeals to me is having the cake, ice cream, whipped cream, hot fudge, and a cherry, and eating it too...without throwing up afterwards. There HAS to be a way to do this."

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
From my conversations with Mearls, I'm confident there will be a positive relationship in our future.

Hey, if you've gotten some information on D&D Next licensing from someone at WotC, it might be regarded as a kindness to share it with the rest of us; I think that puts you in a pretty unique position!

Dias Ex Machina

Hey, if you've gotten some information on D&D Next licensing from someone at WotC, it might be regarded as a kindness to share it with the rest of us; I think that puts you in a pretty unique position!

As we are all no doubt aware, there's a huge gap separating wishful wording and applied reality. The last time Mike and I discussed this, it was before the playtest release. I don't regard anything he shared as fact; just bouncing ideas we would all love in a perfect world. So I wouldn't claim to have an inside line putting me at an advantage over others. I would say that given the conversation, I believe 3rd party D&D NEXT development would not be a waste of time.

Last edited:

Anastrace

First Post
That's great news about Amethyst and Ultramodern. (Haven't checked out Neurospasta yet, but we are running a Shadowrun campaign more or less via Ultramodern) My sister and I are big fans. ^.^

Dias Ex Machina

That's great news about Amethyst and Ultramodern. (Haven't checked out Neurospasta yet, but we are running a Shadowrun campaign more or less via Ultramodern) My sister and I are big fans. ^.^

NeuroSpasta will give you your cybernetics, so keep an eye on that when it gets released. You may even like the setting as well. It plugs in Ultramodern nicely (or Amethyst if that's all you have)

545108_416803965024679_1856705337_n.jpg

Remove ads