• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E An Argument for Why Paladins are the Strongest Class in 5E D&D

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I think the Bard outperforms the paladin in almost every category except that nifty Aura. The bard is a much more flexible class that empowers many character concepts, and can even do a lot of what the paladin does by poaching their spells.

Seriously, a Bard can have find greater steed, banishing smite, or destructive wave several levels before a Paladin can.
Bards tend to not be able to fight on the front lines using Martial Weapons. Although, being a Sword Bard might mitigate the weaponry concern.

Zardnaar

Legend
They can if they build for it. And with a little multiclassing they can do even more damage.

If they build around it yes. Paladin still wins though if they get to multiclass as well (hexblade)

It also takes a while for bard to come online level 6 for a damage dealing bard.

The Paladin aura is unique though.

If they build around it yes. Paladin still wins though if they get to multiclass as well (hexblade)
Is it really winning when the Bard can do as much damage as a Paladin, while still having 9th level spells, inspiration die, better AC, and multiple expertise?

The paladin aura is really nice. Really really nice. But Bards get so many goodies that help them in every pillar of the game. And the core class accommodates far more character concepts.

I think the Bard outperforms the paladin in almost every category except that nifty Aura. The bard is a much more flexible class that empowers many character concepts, and can even do a lot of what the paladin does by poaching their spells.

Seriously, a Bard can have find greater steed, banishing smite, or destructive wave several levels before a Paladin can.
Bards are good at a lot of things, but duplicating a Paladin is not one of those things. Smite spells are not a meaningful substitute for the Paladin's Divine Smite feature.

There is a vengeance paladin in my game and he's a beast...until the smites run out. I agree with an earlier post that the smites bother me less than the aura. The aura is a huge challenge for enemy spellcasters. And, by extension, DMs.

The lore bard is a great controller with all kinds of ways to interfere with enemy actions, but does lack in direct damage. There are times when our bard feels overshadowed by the sorcerer, who has the distinct ability to wreck s--t.

Bards are good at a lot of things, but duplicating a Paladin is not one of those things. Smite spells are not a meaningful substitute for the Paladin's Divine Smite feature.
The smite spells are certainly anemic except banishing smite. But imagine a lore bard with find steed + spirit guardians at level 6. Then he picks up armor of agathys and destructive wave or steel wind strike at 10. Or a sword bard with find greater steed and holy weapon at 10, or tensers at 14, etc.

Iry

Hero
The smite spells are certainly anemic except banishing smite. But imagine a lore bard with find steed + spirit guardians at level 6. Then he picks up armor of agathys and destructive wave or steel wind strike at 10. Or a sword bard with find greater steed and holy weapon at 10, or tensers at 14, etc.
Nothing says paladin like riding a white steed while surrounded by an angelic choir.

Zardnaar

Legend
Is it really winning when the Bard can do as much damage as a Paladin, while still having 9th level spells, inspiration die, better AC, and multiple expertise?

The paladin aura is really nice. Really really nice. But Bards get so many goodies that help them in every pillar of the game. And the core class accommodates far more character concepts.

The next 9th level spell cast by a player in 5E I see will be the first one.

I look at the first 6 levels, then 7-10 and 11+ is mostly theory crafting.

Zardnaar

Legend

Nice theory craft if you make it to level 10.

Bard sucks at dealing damage without certain feats and when you hit level 6.

You can do an ok blaster I suppose by level 6.

Remove ads