An Unexpected Victory, Unconditional Surrender, and Unfinished Business.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
What part stops you? The OGL 1.0a license itself is not OGC. It says what OGC is. OGL specifies that all of the rest(everything not explicitly excluded) of SRD 5 is open content as described in 1(d). The license terms describe that you are adding OGC as per 1(d) and anything not OGC is PI.

You could never use PI without permission by the 3PP creator. Original OGC is not under the control of WotC. And you can freely use everything else that is OGC from SRD 5.1 or its derivatives while SRD 5.1 is in CC. So again, what is stopping you from using a 5e 3PP product?

Nothing about CC-BY lets you use derivatives of CC-BY content, unless the author of that derivative gave you permission to.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Every license in a 3PP IS another license. Those licenses use the terms of OGL 1.0a, but are not themselves OGL 1.0a. So if OGL 1.0a goes away, that license continues on with the same terms that you find in WotC's license.

Yes. The license is that you either use OGL 1.0a, or you use CC-BY.

If I make something derivative of WotC's CC-BY material, that doesn't give anyone any rights to use my new product. (That would be an SA one.)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Please quote which part of the license allows you to use my work I released under under OGL 1.0a under CC (or any other license that I have not agreed to)
I'm not sure I have any that are yours. Would you list the designations from one of your works here like I did for Runeblades and Lost Artifacts?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If they used material from someone else's OGL 1.0a things, they can't release it to be used without using OGL 1.0a unless they have permission of everyone in that entire OGL 1.0a chain.
You aren't understanding. The license in the 3PP is a license. It is not OGL 1.0a, but uses the same terms as OGL 1.0a, so that 3PP creator is bound by section 4.

"4. Grant and Consideration: In consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-‐‑free, non-‐exclusive license with the exact terms of this License to Use, the Open Game Content."

They have all provides licenses to allow others perpetual, worldwide, royalty free, non-exclusive licenses with regard to any OGC in their product. That's a term that they agree to in their license.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Which 3PP license?

OGL 1.0a says you can use it as long as you keep following OGL 1.0a.

OGL 1.0a doesn't do anything about CC-BY.
Using their material, since it uses all the terms of OGL 1.0a is a license between the 3PP creator and someone who wants to use their work. By agreeing to 1.0a, they have agreed that their work is forever usable by others via section 4 of the OGL. That doesn't go away if 1.0a goes away. Only WotC and it's agents can deauthorize or create a new OGL.

Matt Thomason

Adventurer
I'm not sure I have any that are yours. Would you list the designations from one of your works here like I did for Runeblades and Lost Artifacts?
It doesn't have to me mine - in fact it can't, because I don't actually own the copyright to any published content I've written, it's the property of whichever publisher paid me.

If you can dig up a copy of The Athena Strain for the B5 RPG, that's by me but owned by Mongoose Publishing. Ditto for about 50 magazine articles over the years, and a couple of 20-year old 3PP books where the publisher is no longer around to sell it any more. But you don't need a copy of any of those, because they all use OGL 1.0(a) of which the full text is available in many places.
So, go grab a copy of OGL 1.0(a), pretend you have a copy of a book with my name on it and that license in it, and the following Open Game Content declaration:

"All mechanics in this book are declared as Open Game Content under the terms of OGL 1.0(a)"

Remove ads