D&D General Another D&D pronunciation question - this one's for Grognards

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
Unrelated funny thing. Recently I've heard "shillelagh" being pronounced as "shi-le-làkh" and was like "ugh, damn, that naughty word Russian translation, what spell are you talking about?". Turns out, it wasn't Russian translation x)

Olrox17

Hero
Just realizing that I’ve been pronouncing all words like grognard, bulette and tarrasque with their French pronunciation and apparently most people don’t!

I did study some French in my youth, so I just default to the french pronunciation when I see a french -looking word.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Grognard = /gʁo-nyar/ (or /gwo-nyar/ if being lazy about the uvular trill). As the French, not anglicized.

More importantly, kobold = /COBB-uld/ (as in, a homonym of "cobbled"; the first syllables of "kobolds & goblins" should be similarly stressed and should rhyme). Anglicized, not as the German (because kobold has been an English word for nearly two centuries, compared to grognard's half a century).

Last edited:

Laurefindel

Legend
French being my native tongue, I never gave it a second thought. But even within the English community here, I don’t think I’ve ever heard it GROG-NARD, but I have heard people pronounce the silent « d » at the end.

in French, « GN » is a single consonant, similar to the Spanish « ñ » as in El Niña / El Niño.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
If you are American, you pronounce it "grog-nard."

Pursuant to 18 USC 7896, all Americans are required to mangle the pronunciation of any word of foreign derivation.

English was developed in Great Britain and is a foreign language that is required to be mangled. Aluminum v Aluminium (1856)
20 year sentence for pronouncing Texas as "TAY-has" upheld as Texas was orignally stolen from Mexico, a foreign country. Messe v. Texas (1879)
10 year sentence for failing to pronounce France with a short "a" like in "chance" not excessive. In re Pepe L. (1954)
Failure to mangle either Mandarin or Cantonese to the same degree of required mangling as French eligible for sentence enhancement and upward departure from sentencing guidelines. Leggett v. State of New York (1983)

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Grog is a cheap thin alcoholic drink.
Nard is an expensive perfume.

I wish whoever created the term grognard had made up his mind whether or not I am supposed to have lots of money.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Magneto controls magnetism, not electrical devices. Therefore, his name should be "MAG-neht-OH" not "mag-NEE-toe"
Why does this sound familiar...?

DGpWyk0.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases