D&D General Another D&D pronunciation question - this one's for Grognards

jasper

Rotten DM
And when I say "for" Grognards, I actually mean "about". How do you pronounce "grognard"?

I've always mentally 'heard' it as being a very British English pronunciation, Grog-Nard. But when listening to a podcast recently, one of the presenters spoke it with a more continental pronunciation, i.e. Groan-Yard, pronouncing the "gn" much as in "Sauvignon".

According to Wikipedia the term's derivation is French, so I guess that is the more correct pronunciation, but as one of those terms I've only really encountered written down, it took me by surprise. How would you pronounce it?
As long as the table agrees, that is the correct pronounce. But I come a town which has at least two proper pronounce of "pecan".

jgsugden

Legend
I'm betting there is some old wargammer out there that recalls the time he was playing at the table next to pretentious war gammers who were arguing over how to label their veteran french troops in their game... and under his breath, but a little loudly, mocked them in a southern drawl, "Dem der is my GROOOOOG-NAAAAARDs."

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Funny story from a game I ran many years ago. We entered a room with two doors. The first door had a red X painted on it, while the second was covered in strange sigils.

Now, when I see an unfamiliar word I tend to pronounce the letter-i as a long 'e', as in the word 'see'. That, and a hard 'g' made the word sound somewhat like 'seagulls', which raised a lot of eyebrows at the table.

Needless to say, I learned that day how to pronounce the word sigil according to the generally accepted convention.

This is the constant burden of people who read a lot, especially when they are growing up.

They've read a word so many times, and they have an idea of how to pronounce it in their head, but the first time it escapes from their head into the wild via their lips is always an adventure. :)

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Apparently the 'boo-lay' thing was Gygax and Co. making fun of French pronunciations (which is why it doesn't make sense as a French pronunciation), and 'landshark' was in fact a reference to the SNL skit.

Remove ads