D&D General Another D&D pronunciation question - this one's for Grognards

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yes, the D is silent.

Gtw, it comes from the word grogner, which can mean either growling or grumbling, depending on contexts.

So the grognard is this old veteran in a corner, grumbling about kids these days...

Probably where the English word groan comes from.

As an aside, it drives me nuts when people say "bulette" is pronounced "boo-lay, like in French!" - it just makes me roll my eyes. As anyone remotely familiar with French knows, the t is pronounced in the feminine. It would only be boo-lay if it were spelled bulet.

I had a martial arts instructor once try telling me that a katana was pronounced, and I quote: "It's not ka-TA-na, it's kata-NAAAAAH." (It's not either of those. To an English speaker, the first one is natural, if incorrect. The second one is stupid to everyone. In Japanese, it's ka-ta-na, with no syllable having any particular stress over the others).

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Probably where the English word groan comes from.

As an aside, it drives me nuts when people say "bulette" is pronounced "boo-lay, like in French!" - it just makes me roll my eyes. As anyone remotely familiar with French knows, the t is pronounced in the feminine. It would only be boo-lay if it were spelled bulet.

I had a martial arts instructor once try telling me that a katana was pronounced, and I quote: "It's not ka-TA-na, it's kata-NAAAAAH." (It's not either of those. To an English speaker, the first one is natural, if incorrect. The second one is stupid to everyone. In Japanese, it's ka-ta-na, with no syllable having any particular stress over the others).
Syllable stress is a very annoying part of the language...

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Apparently the 'boo-lay' thing was Gygax and Co. making fun of French pronunciations (which is why it doesn't make sense as a French pronunciation), and 'landshark' was in fact a reference to the SNL skit.
Yup. IIRC Tim Kask was responsible for this one.

glass

(he, him)
Another one is 'geas'.

Apparently it rhymes with 'flesh'.
I thought that too, but I think I read somewhere that that was a mistake. I cannot remember where, unfortunately.

On topic, it never occured to me to use anything other than "frog yard", but then I do not recall every having cause to pronounce it at all.

_
glass.

Everyone I know says grog-nard. We know perfectly well how it's actually pronounced, but it's less fun that way. Also I want to out myself that I never pronounce melee correctly, and probably never will.

Remove ads