Anti-LotR

thegreatbuddha

First Post
I recent;ly saw this movie, and for numerous reasons, I thought it was horrible.

Is there anybody else who shares this opinion? It seems I am alone right now....

Crothian

First Post
I'm curious as to what your numerious reasons are?

I enjoyed it, not as much as many of my firends, but I think it's a fine movie.

Ranger REG

Explorer
It would help if you could constructively point out what is it about the movie (I assume you're talking about Fellowship of the Ring) that unimpress you, thegreatbuddha.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
i agree dewd it was TOTALY suckin lol. that stryder guy shooda been called "LAMER", and frodow was like "DODO" if you ask me.
YEAHHHH!
:D

Chain Lightning

First Post
I loved the movie. Its good.

But in my circle of friends I have:

-One that rates it about a 5 out of 10.
-Two that rate it about a 3 out of 10.

Those that give it the harshest criticism had the following to say as to what they thought hurt the film quality.

-Sweeping shots done at the wrong times made for bad viewing.
-Story pacing was horrible.
-No interest or care for characters like Merry and Pippin.
-Orcs die too easily.
-Not enough singing.
-No Tom Bombadil.
-Took too long to get the action. Who cares about the fairy stuff.

I've found that most dislikes kind of fall into the categories of either personal tastes, bias against any unfaithfulness from the book, or a misunderstanding as to how the LOTR story is being brought to us .

Example: its not that the writer forgot to write an ending, its the fact that a viewer may not understand that he's only watching ACT 1 of a complete story). And that the pacing does not follow standard Hollywood templates because its only part 1 of 3 and its off a book that wasn't entended to be a film. Merry and Pippin don't have much character development because again, it's only ACT 1. In the second act, we'll see more. Some forget that they're only watching a third of a story. They are NOT watching the first story and waiting for two sequels. They are again....watching only a third.

But anyways, I stray from the original topic. 'thegreatbuddha' , you're not alone. Others think it sucked too. I'm not one of them. But you're not alone.

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Has there ever been a movie that pleased 100% of its audiences? Even Citizen Kane and The Godfather I & II have people who abhor them.

For LotR, there were those who knew nothing about the books, but loved the movie so much they watched it twice.

Chain Lightning said:
Those that give it the harshest criticism had the following to say as to what they thought hurt the film quality.

-Sweeping shots done at the wrong times made for bad viewing.
-Story pacing was horrible.
-No interest or care for characters like Merry and Pippin.
-Orcs die too easily.
-Not enough singing.
-No Tom Bombadil.
-Took too long to get the action. Who cares about the fairy stuff.

1. chalk this up to personal taste. I thought they made the film more epic in scope

2. I admit... people with short attention spans are doomed to misery in a movie that clocks in at over 90 minutes. For those of us who have bladders like camels... length is a good thing. I found myself wanting more after the movie ended.

3. I have to agree with this one. However, given that this movie is based on a book, characterizations have to be taken in context of the original work. After all, the movie was written for fans of the book, who already known Merry and Pippin's characters well. For those who haven't read the book, then the marginalization of the characters shouldn't detract from their enjoyment of the movie.

4. Too quickly for what? They fall over left and right in the book. A comparison to any other work simply doesn't apply, since the movie is referencing a specific work of literature.

5. Hmm... there was a dearth of singing. That's why we have the extended edition.

6. *sigh* Whatever. In fact, let's jump right to number 7.

7. Took too long to get to the action? This argument is totally at odds with both arguments 5 AND 6. Singing and/or innane silliness with Bombadil would string out the journey to Rivendell even more. You can't have it both ways.

Just my two pence.

-F

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
TheGreatBudda started this thread by stating FOTR was a horrible film.
He or she is entitled to his or her opinion.

Now, I would like to ask TheGreatBudda why he or she disliked FOTR.
Not so I can tear apart his or her reasons - reasons are reasons, and people are entitled to them - but because I am simply curious as to the Why.

Chain Lightning, thanks for the info. Good stuff there.
For those of us who loved the film, we have a chance to hear from those who did not like it, and why.
Thanks for the insights. (thumbs up)

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Although I thought the film was OK, and I liked some aspects of it quite a bit, there are things about it I disliked quite a bit.

The pacing is, indeed, one of those things I disliked. Not that it was too long - it was paced too quickly in many places. It was like watching a "Cliff's Notes" version of the Lord of the Rings, or reading one of those "Illustrated Classics" comics versions. This has everything to do with my having read the books well over a dozen times since I was 10 or 11, but I'm also a filmmaker (not a big deal, of course, but it's something I was traimed for over several years) and the film seemed "off" to me. What I mean, mostly, besides the obvious stuff where they compressed time to fit the film, was in scenes like at the Bucklebury Ferry - besides the scene being a mess editing-wise, I feel Jackson didn't have to ramp up the action as he did. Instead of going for the subtle horror of a cat-and-mouse pursuit, like in the book, he went for a Three Stooges-like chase. I feel the creeping horror of unknown pursuers, like it was portrayed in the book, would have been as, if not more, effective, and has been shown to work very well throughout the history of film. But, it seemed like the whole film was like that - in every instance, the action of the book was exaggerated greatly in the film - while it makes some sense to do so in some cases, to retain the interest of the viewers, it often gave the film a jarring feel, contrasting greatly with the sweeping vistas that Jackson showed.

There was too much screaming and crying.

Along with this is the weird feeling that we're seeing "cameos" from some of the major characters - Elrond's looming into the shot and saying "Welcome to Rivendell, Frodo" made me laugh out loud. I thought it was silly. "Let's give a big hand to Elrond, ladies and gentlemen..."

Elrond's whole "Men are stupid" shtick seemed bizarre to me, given that his brother founded the race of Numenoreans. Sure, movie viewers wouldn't be aware of this, but Jackson is, and could have found a better way to color the character - like using, say, the anger and sternness he felt towards Aragorn for courting his daughter, which is in the book, unlike the animosity he shows to Men. That would have played quite well in the film, and helped bolster the Aragorn/Arwen subplot.

I didn't like that Saruman was actually a servant of Sauron in the film. I guess it makes some sense from a screenwriting standpoint, though it doesn't always work, for me.

I really disagree with Jackson's choice in making Arwen the one who confronted the Black Riders at the Ford of Bruinen, rather than Frodo. This was a great place to give Frodo something to do, to show his strength, to let him, and us, finally see what he was truly up against, since, especially in the film, he had been pretty nondescript - and Jackson gives the scene to a supproting character.

Those are a few of the problems I had. The film was beautiful to look at, and I liked quite a bit of it - McKellan's portrayal of Gandalf seemed so right to me - but there are parts of it that drove me nuts. But, then, much of it probably comes from my having read the books so many times.

Last edited:

Eben

First Post
How can a movie have both
-"not enough singing"
-"who cares about the fairy stuff"

Is it just me?
In the books the singing is during the "fairy parts" (sic)

Also: Tom Bombadil is the closest thing to a fairy in LotR

Remove ads